The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

@Those who have used Tiger:

I've seen two different menubar styles(Endcaps and the other one), is there an option in System Preferences to switch between the two?

I'm telling you boys, all this hype is not all that, I've been using it for a week now and half of my installed software is not compatible! I mean this is rediculous...

I hope shapeshifter comes out with an update because it sucks not to be able to use themes...

I'm kind of a fan of different interfaces all following the same basic guidelines - makes the display more interesting while still being part of a larger system. When I have Garageband, some metal and some aqua it gives a nice variety that still works well together.

I'm kind of a fan of different interfaces all following the same basic guidelines - makes the display more interesting while still being part of a larger system.  When I have Garageband, some metal and some aqua it gives a nice variety that still works well together.

585767087[/snapback]

I believe the reason *MOST* Mac users would rather everything look the same is b/c when you are using the computer, if it all looks the same, the interface sort of 'fades out' which allows you to concentrate more on what you are doing. At least, that is how I always felt, and how I have heard a lot of graphic designers, 3D modelers, etc. describe the old Mac OS 9 'Platinum' theme.

Oh well, diff'rent strokes for different folks, as the saying goes...at least it is easily changeable. :ninja:

Granted I have only had my Mac for a little bit so I may not be fully used to everything, but the visual clue not only makes switching apps even easier, but let's me separate what I'm doing. But that's just me...

Hah, you guys are complaining about Tiger's GUI "inconsistency". One, I think it's quite consistent. Two, have a gander at Windows or Linux. Far more inconsistent. We're really getting a break. Besides, Apple has a thorough HIG that explains how Brushed Metal, Aqua, and Plastic should be used. Anyway, I'm glad they're phasing out the pinstripes. They're pretty annoying no matter where you put them. I'd like to see more Brushed Metal as well.

I also agree with Chrisa. Having different looks for different types of applications allows me to separate between them. I like consistency between a certain window style (Brushed Metal, Aqua, Plastic) from application to application, but the differences between the windows allow me to spot different windows easier as well associate them with real-world devices.

I'd like to see more Brushed Metal as well.

585767141[/snapback]

I was beginning to think i was the only one who loves Brushed Metal. :yes:

I'm telling you boys, all this hype is not all that, I've been using it for a week now and half of my installed software is not compatible! I mean this is rediculous...

I hope shapeshifter comes out with an update because it sucks not to be able to use themes...

585767066[/snapback]

And you're expecting what from a beta? Developers will release updates as soon as Tiger is released. Many already have updated versions of their software that work perfectly with Tiger. Tiger has huge core changes in it. Far larger changes than Panther had. Some things will break. It's just how it works. I personally can't wait for Tiger. It's a bigger update than Panther, and Panther was huge. :D

I hate the new mail icons. I personally really like plastic, but we dont need three interface styles. Brushed looks ok on a few apps, but overall I dont like it.

Dashboard looks sweet, I dont care if the widgets are consistent.

I really liked the transparent title bars on jaguar for inactive apps, I have no idea why they got rid of those.

Some windows are Aqua, some are 50% Plastic, 50% Aqua. Except for Mail there isn't an app 100% Aqua. The Mail Toolbar icon style is non-existent in the rest of the system. The Menubar style is once again different from Plastic. The copy/move etc. windows have an Aqua caption but are missing the stripes in the area below it, other than that there aren't any windows using Aqua without stripes.

It just looks weird...

585766731[/snapback]

I meant: Except for Mail there isn't an app 100% Plastic. ;)

@Rutager

Nope those caps where just an early beta style.

@jagedEdge

I don't give a f*ck about how other systems look. I'm talking about Mac OS X, how inconsistent other operating systems look has nothing to do with it.

About the pinstripes: If your remove them in one part of the system you can't just leave them in most other applications. It's a mess, it feels like Apple "just" did something. They removed the pinstripes in some dialogue windows but they kept Aqua used by applications 99% the same: Some applications are using Panther's Aqua some are using a mix of 50% Plastic and 50% Aqua both with pinstripes, what's up with that?

Edited by PureLogic

Tiger sounds / looks awesome. I so need a Mac now.. definately getting me a Mac Mini ASAP!!

I've never had too much of a problem with the inconsistencies. I too like Chad really miss the days of Jaguar.

My problem with the Tiger interface has nothing to do with the inconsistencies, it's just simply the way they changed the aqua theme around. I have long been a fan of the aqua interface and have used it more than any theme. The thing I like about it, is that it still looks nice, but like elusive said, because everything is consistent, the interface gets out of your way focusing your attention to the workspace.

When Panther came around, they made some great changes to the UI to try to make it look a little more professional such as making the drop shadows more subtle. It seemed as the OS progressed that they were really trying to make it look more like a serious machine and less toy-ish.

However, with Tiger, I really feel they have gone back the opposite direction. Tiger is very "bright" and in your face. From the shiny apple and spotlight icons, to the extremely glossy menu bar to the new blue colors.

OSXColorComparison.png

You won't be seeing the true colors unless you are on a mac already, but if you are, you can clearly see the difference that I am talking about. I just find everything too bright. It reminds me of fisher price.

Aqua Panther will probably be my favorite theme for a long time to come. I am 99% done with the rsrc files completing the transformation but I still can't find the spotlight icon. If anyone can find this, it would be great. As soon as it gets found and I am able to fix that last element I will post the rsrc files and eventually just make a Panther GUIkit for Tiger as soon as SS is updated. For now you just have to manually replace the files (which can be very dangerous).

Anyone looking for the tiger wallpapers can find them in the GFXOasis April Desktops thread.

Cheers

However, with Tiger, I really feel they have gone back the opposite direction. Tiger is very "bright" and in your face. From the shiny apple and spotlight icons, to the extremely glossy menu bar to the new blue colors.

585768567[/snapback]

Somehow I'm thinking they want to attract more switchers with a more "speaking" interface: A lot of people found Panther very boring and dull looking.

Do the checkboxes and buttons (like Okay, Cancel, Save etc.) also look brighter to you? They kinda remind me of the ones 10.0 and 10.1 were using (color wise).

I'd also like to know where the Spotlight menubar icon is located!

Edited by PureLogic