The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

Dang. If I waited a month to get my Mac Mini the cost would have only been $9.99 for the media. I wonder if MicroCenter will take it back and re-ring it :)

The Apple website looks awesome right now. I can't wait to get my hands on Tiger. Apples right (for once :p). Getting Tiger is like getting a whole new Mac :D :)

Woohoo! Finally!

All Apple needs to do now is release some updates to it's product line later this month and I will order a new 20" iMac G5 which will come with Tiger.

Man I love Apple.

So if Tiger gets released on April 29th, when will new Macs start shipping with the Tiger pre-installed?

585764430[/snapback]

If history repeats itself, they will probably start shipping Macs with Tiger installed about a week or two before then. I seem to recall that when Panther was released, some users unexpectedly got it with their machines during the week before the official release date.

I'm just hoping they let ADC members download the final GM soon :(

I'm not into Mac scene, but, since it's a minor update (it's not OSX 11), shouldn't it be a free update for all OSX 10.x users?

And if $129 is the upgrade price, which is the normal price?

That: "If you purchased a new Mac on or after April 12 that didn?t include Tiger, you can upgrade for just the cost of the media." sounds fair to me thoug:):)

I'm not into Mac scene, but, since it's a minor update (it's not OSX 11), shouldn't it be a free update for all OSX 10.x users?

That: "If you purchased a new Mac on or after April 12 that didn?t include Tiger, you can upgrade for just the cost of the media." sounds fair to me thoug:):)

585764485[/snapback]

it's not just a minor update...

585764485[/snapback]

Minor updates.... 10.3.3 >10.3.4 > .... >10.3.8 (current "Panther" build)

Major updates..... 10.0 > 10.1 > 10.2 > 10.3 "Panther" > 10.4 "Tiger"

There is no price difference.... the disks are $129 all around (unless EDU).

585764485[/snapback]

Updates are on the release cycle.

10.3 had 8 so far; If you had 10.3.0 then 10.3.1, 10.3.2 ... 10.3.8 (Possibly 9 soon?) were free.

When 10.4.0 comes out then you need to buy a new copy.

It is kind of like Windows 98 update to Windows 98SE .... Only better:D:D

Hope that explains it for you...

585764485[/snapback]

Was Windows XP a free update for Windows 2000 users? After all, XP was Windows NT version 5.1 and 2000 was version 5.0.

Was Windows 98 a free update for Windows 95 users? After all, 98 was Windows version 4.1 and 95 was version 4.0.

Why is it that people keep having to point this out over and over and over again?

Did they release it to the developers btw?

585764515[/snapback]

Not as of the last time I checked (about half an hour ago). :(

YES!

Ordered mine with my educational discount :D

Cost me ?58.75!!!!!!! ?30 cheaper than the normal price!! godbless educational discoun:D:D

whats the build number for the final release?

585764593[/snapback]

No one outside Apple really knows for sure. They haven't released the GM to ADC members yet, but most likely either 8A428 (which was rumored last week) or something a little later than that if there were any last minute bugs. I'm running 8A425 which is the most recent one given to ADC members.

Ok, thanks :) although I think that intermediate releases like Win98 SE are just stupid and made just to give more money to Microsoft. I hope Tiger is to OSX more than just a Second Edition OS to Microsoft.

I'm looking into a MacMini to introduce myself to Mac soft/hardware. It says: From $499. Is that including Tiger? (I mean, if I buy it after Tiger is released)

Is OSX based on UNIX tecnhology?

YES!

Ordered mine with my educational discount :D

Cost me ?58.75!!!!!!! ?30 cheaper than the normal price!! godbless educational discoun:D:D

585764584[/snapback]

Like you sig Scazza and your site:D:D