The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

Does anyone know is it going to be available at local apple stores on April 29th ?

585764657[/snapback]

It should be. When a product starts "shipping" usually they have it available in stores as well that same day or so.

I'm looking into a MacMini to introduce myself to Mac soft/hardware. It says: From $499. Is that including Tiger? (I mean, if I buy it after Tiger is released)

Is OSX based on UNIX tecnhology?

585764642[/snapback]

Of course the price is including the OS. Even if you buy a Mac mini today, if it doesn't ship with Tiger, you will be able to upgrade for just the shipping cost of the media (usually $10 to 20).

Yes, OS X is based on UNIX.

I've been spending some time on the resources, and have an extras.rsrc file almost complete that changes everything back to Pantherish, but I can't find the resource for the spotlight menu bar icon. If anyone could find out where this is located, that would be of tremendous help!

It should be.  When a product starts "shipping" usually they have it available in stores as well that same day or so.

585764675[/snapback]

thats great cant wait to get mine! :woot:

Im going to order mine probably later today (it's 2AM now) or tomorrow.

with the education discount i get, it's only $130 AUD.

so i'll have to get a few hours at work to pay my mum back (her credit card)

But, OMGOMGOMG! :D

Was Windows XP a free update for Windows 2000 users?  After all, XP was Windows NT version 5.1 and 2000 was version 5.0.

Was Windows 98 a free update for Windows 95 users?  After all, 98 was Windows version 4.1 and 95 was version 4.0.

Why is it that people keep having to point this out over and over and over again?

585764557[/snapback]

see this quote as to how to answer a question. All he wanted was some information

Updates are on the release cycle.

10.3 had 8 so far; If you had 10.3.0 then 10.3.1, 10.3.2 ... 10.3.8 (Possibly 9 soon?) were free.

When 10.4.0 comes out then you need to buy a new copy.

It is kind of like Windows 98 update to Windows 98SE .... Only better  :D

Hope that explains it for you...

585764528[/snapback]

see this quote as to how to answer a question.  All he wanted was some information

585764819[/snapback]

And it's information that is repeated in nearly every thread on this board relating to Tiger (and probably a few threads back when Panther was released too).

when the hell are they going to release 10.3.9 update?

I have decided not to mmove to Tiger till a 10.4.x release.

585764871[/snapback]

Probably the week before Tiger is released, I would guess, if not sooner.

A word of advice to all the Mac-skeptical: Before any of you yields to the irresistible urge of saying that Tiger is nothing but a Service Pack with a few shiny widgets (which will happen sooner or later, if hasn't already), I recommend taking a look here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/newfeatures.html

585764957[/snapback]

This link would be good to look at too:

Feature comparison of Jaguar, Panther, and Tiger

I've been spending some time on the resources, and have an extras.rsrc file almost complete that changes everything back to Pantherish, but I can't find the resource for the spotlight menu bar icon. If anyone could find out where this is located, that would be of tremendous help!

585764764[/snapback]

I turned Tiger inside-out looking for that icon. Can't find it anywhere.

God, I'm really p*ssed off about Tiger's interface! :angry: