The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

so its the same GUI style used in the latest builds?

585733561[/snapback]

Yeah, we won't see a final look until the final build. If one will come at all that is.

That's the one big mystery: What's Tiger final look...

Has that been confirmed? Or are you saying that just because AppleInsider reported it?

585732975[/snapback]

*gasp* I would NEVER buy into anything AI says. Bleh. Some VERY reliable sources on other Mac boards are saying this. Based upon their history, I have no reason to doubt them

Yeah, we won't see a final look until the final build. If one will come at all that is.

That's the one big mystery: What's Tiger final look...

585733614[/snapback]

Well....I'd bet the ui and everything else will be the same as the final "beta" build. I guess we'll find out soon

Well....I'd bet the ui and everything else will be the same as the final "beta" build.  I guess we'll find out soon

585736400[/snapback]

I tend to agree. I don't think any company in their right mind would revamp the UI after hitting the RC stage. That's just asking for problems. The general rule I've always heard is that the final beta is "feature complete", and the RC's are just for clearing up any remaining bugs.

Well....I'd bet the ui and everything else will be the same as the final "beta" build.? I guess we'll find out soon

585736400[/snapback]

That would basically mean that we will get an OS with a non consistent look... That would be a first with Apple and Mac OS X.:huh:: I still don't really understand the role Plastic is taking, in Mail you've got an 100% Plastic look going on but in Help and System Preferences it's on fifty-fifty basis with Aqua.

They've been using this look since they showed/announced Tiger on that Mac Expo thing. Most people wrote it off as a placeholder/beta thing.

One thing: They've could have completed the final look a long time ago, but didn't leak it to all the developers but only a small group. I mean it isn't really that important for developers how exactly the system looks, since most apps just use the resources the system uses.

PureSpeculation instead of PureLogic, I know:pp We'll just see what happens.

Edited by PureLogic

That would basically mean that we will get an OS with a non consistent look... That would be a first with Apple and Mac OS X

585738867[/snapback]

lol a first garage band looks nothing like the finder.. they love brush metal however.

Really plastic will take over everything but iTunes + Garageband :shifty:

lol a first garage band looks nothing like the finder.. they love brush metal however.

Really plastic will take over everything but iTunes + Garageband :shifty:

585738900[/snapback]

Last time I checked Garageband isn't directly a part of the system. But just an application you can buy and install separately. I'm talking about the system itself and the standard applications that come with it.

Well I'm using a theme right now so I cannot remember what the stuff was so meh +1.

plastic has coverd everything important.

585738915[/snapback]

You're not the only one using 8A425 and there's still lotsa Aqua left behind. And System Prefs still looks the same as the first WWDC build. lol I've been waiting for them to finish it since that build, not sure if it will ever happen. Copy and Move dialogue windows are also very unfinished, it's hard to imagine they'll ship Tiger with stuff like that.

Edited by PureLogic

here some more rumors about Tiger

In other operating system news, Apple continues to develop Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger Server after declaring build 8A428 of Tiger Client "gold master" last Thursday.

According to Web reports, the most recent build of Tiger Server is build 8A420. With the seeding of this build, Apple reportedly disabled the "Portable Home Directories" feature and instead asked developers to focus their testing efforts on Mail, Active Directory, and Access Control lists.

Developers say Apple has also asked that all previously filed bugs be checked against the latest seed, suggestion that the company hopes to declare a build of Tiger Server gold master in the near future.

Meanwhile, sources tell AppleInsider that Apple is also feverishly working on Mac OS X 10.4.1 Tiger, the first maintenance update to the yet unreleased Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger operating system.

One of the latest builds is reportedly labeled Mac OS X 10.4 build 8A432, suggesting Apple picked up development of the 8A4xx milestone immediately after declaring build 8A420 of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger gold master.

Source:Appleinsider

now that i have my ibook, i wanted to know. When tiger gets released, will they give me a copy?

The man said I have up to 1 month and then i'd have to buy it.

I think I remember someone saying it was 3 weeks.

Does anyone know?

If it's so, I'll return my ibook and wait until Tiger is out and get a new one.

now that i have my ibook, i wanted to know. When tiger gets released, will they give me a copy?

The man said I have up to 1 month and then i'd have to buy it.

I think I remember someone saying it was 3 weeks.

Does anyone know?

If it's so, I'll return my ibook and wait until Tiger is out and get a new one.

585740418[/snapback]

If you buy a new Mac after Tiger has been anounced you will be eligible for a cheap upgrade to Tiger.

I think :)

If you buy a new Mac after Tiger has been anounced you will be eligible for a cheap upgrade to Tiger.

I think :)

585740607[/snapback]

You think, but Apple hasn't made that promise so what you really meant is that you hope that's what will happen.

For a little bit of history:

Apple's up-to-date program for Mac OS X 10.3 covered machines purchased between October 8 and February 29, the Operating system ship-date was announced along side the up-to-date program on October 8.

24 - 8 = 16 days between announcement and 10.3 actually shipping.

The iLife '05 up-to-date program covered machines purchased on January 11th or after. iLife '05 was annouced on January 11th to ship on the 22nd nationally and world wide a week later.

22 - 11 = 11 (18 for the rest of the world) days of coverage.

Note that both up-to-date programs only cover systems purchased between the annoucement of the product and the availablity of that product and not before the annoucement. If you purchased a new Macintosh today, don't expect apple to give you any special treatment: they haven't been doing that in the past.

they definately did tell me I'd get the CD for free and all I'd have to pay was for mailing it. But I just dont know how much time i have inbetween buying the iBook and the release date to be elegible for a free cd.

they definately did tell me I'd get the CD for free and all I'd have to pay was for mailing it. But I just dont know how much time i have inbetween buying the iBook and the release date to be elegible for a free cd.

585742415[/snapback]

As has been repeated over and over again in every thread related to a new OS X release, in general only people who buy new hardware AFTER Apple announces a release date for the new version are eligible for a free upgrade.

tiger is out everyone.. check your store!!!

this is great news..

im still sad no hardware updates :(

EDIT: since people like to quote me for being wrong i poseted why below.. i was in the store and didnt notice the sipping date. but it was ataully quite obvious on the front of the site www.apple.com so my apologies. anyway look at the post below for information. sorry for being over excited when i saw it. i would love to edit the title but i cant

Edited by Fizical

Dang, it's there alright...

Upgrade to Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" and gain access to more than 200 powerful new features, from breakthrough search technology to stunning graphics and media to unparalleled connectivity and more ? all atop a rock-solid UNIX foundation.

Price

$129.00

Ships:

Delivered by 4/29

Free Shipping