The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

I'd say the UI is pretty much final, Unless its changed from 8a393 which is possible. But, tiger's just released "final candidate stage" So, it could change... but I doubt it.

585692674[/snapback]

You call that final? Everything is being used all over the place, the copy/move windows look like something that somewhat survived a nuclear blast and so does System Preferences. It sucks we can't post any screenshots! :pinch:

Like I said before the current Tiger ui isn't consistant at all. It's one big blur of Aqua, Plastic and Brushed.

what makes it such a milestone to you? .. spotlight? widgets? automator? or maybe all 3?

585692653[/snapback]

If you look at what Panther brought to the table, it was a very disappointing release. A quick scan over the posts during that time will show as much. Especially at the larger Mac forums. Jaguar was a massive upgrade, Panther brought a few new things, and now Tiger will be a larger change.

Those 3 you named are VERY large additions to OS X. The "under the hood" enhancements along make Tiger a bigger release.

Chad, where did you get the info about the interface being a placeholder?

Radish?

585692697[/snapback]

I was trying to remember that. I really only frequent a few Mac sits. Macnn, Macrumors, the Ars Mac forum and http://apple.weblogsinc.com/. It would have been on one of those. Wherever it was said, it seemed as though it was pretty commonly known. I had never heard it before, but I had been a bit out of the OS X loop until recentedit: The statement could have been made and agreed since the ui is looking pretty scatterbrained right now. They may have been hoping it was a placeholder more than actual facts.

I think the the thing I am most looking forward to in Tiger is Safari RSS. I already love the look and functionality of Safari and apparently Safari RSS possesses a great speed boost. I have used RSS Feeds a little bit but I have a feeling I will be using them a whole lot more in the future.

I'm also looking forward to Dashboard which will only get better when more and more widgets become available. So overall I cannot wait until Tiger is announced, and then released. Oh, and what makes me even more excited is that hopefully I will be running it on a brand new, revised 20" iMac G5 which hopefully will be announced the same day as Tiger is!

Roll on Friday, and then the 15th!

I heard that there will be new defult wall papers...can anyone share?...:shifty:

585693527[/snapback]

I have the new wallpapers they are really nice most are big close up shots of flowers there is a really nice stone zoom up and a tiger skin all the wallpapers are 2560 x 1600 and are very nice indeed!

[EDIT] heres a screenshot of the thumbnails for you to dribble over. (Don't PM me for them as I'm sure Steve would sue me if I released any)

post-70022-1112139631_thumb.jpg

Edited by WinMacLin

I have the new wallpapers they are really nice most are big close up shots of flowers there is a really nice stone zoom up and a tiger skin all the wallpapers are 2560 x 1600 and are very nice indeed!

585693638[/snapback]

you wanna share?... :shifty: ....even a small screen shot... :p

P.S....if I'm breaking any rules, please disregard this post...

you wanna share?... :shifty: ....even a small screen shot... :p

P.S....if I'm breaking any rules, please disregard this post...

585693654[/snapback]

check page 2 I added a screenshot as requested.

check page 2 I added a screenshot as requested.

585693690[/snapback]

OH YEAH!...that's nice...man....those look really beautiful...can't wait till I get my self a copy of tiger...:D...thanks alot

Isn't Tiger supposed to have over 2,000 new items, when it was previewed last year isn't that what graphic screen indicated?

Not sure if you call adding 2,000 new items a "minor" difference between Tiger and Panther... :unsure:

what makes it such a milestone to you? .. spotlight? widgets? automator? or maybe all 3?

585692653[/snapback]

Those are pretty large ... even just spotlight is a major addition that affects the OS system wide. The other two are just nice additions in my opinion.

What really makes this release huge is the fact that Core Image and Video is added. Also, Quicktime 7 with the new H.264 codec will change things. I'm hoping they start showing Apple trailers in H.264.

Isn't Tiger supposed to have over 2,000 new items, when it was previewed last year isn't that what graphic screen indicated?

Not sure if you call adding 2,000 new items a "minor" difference between Tiger and Panther...  :unsure:

585693929[/snapback]

200 New Features. Tiger will have 200 not 2,000. It would be awesome to have 2,000 thou! :p

Not sure if you call adding 2,000 new items a "minor" difference between Tiger and Panther...  :unsure:

585693929[/snapback]

oh wow that would be heck of an upgrade lol

[EDIT] heres a screenshot of the thumbnails for you to dribble over. (Don't PM me for them as I'm sure Steve would sue me if I released any)

585693638[/snapback]

Yes, I would, so good work. :devil:

:rofl:

585696197[/snapback]

QUOTE(Steve @ Mar 30 2005, 09:49)

Yes, I would, so good work.?

ahaha what in the world? was that a complete sentence.. anyhow.. lolz.

:laugh::

nope they are not you can see it on the 2nd page or Click here for the screenshot posted on the 2nd page

585696182[/snapback]

just because they're not in the screenshot doesnt mean they won't be included with tiger :|

Too flowery with the new wallpapers, I wouldn't mind a new default background - even though I love Panthers.

585696620[/snapback]

The latest Tiger build comes with a new Aqua background if that's what you mean.

I can't really comment on the UI since, as someone else stated, we're not completely sure of what it will look like until it's released. I frankly doubt they will introduce such big inconsistencies between Mail and the other apps without documenting the changes and making them available as standard interfaces in the Apple Human Interface Guidelines - yes, they're not always following their own rules, nonetheless it would be really strange. Either way, the new Mail toolbar is shown in the Mac OS X section of the Apple site, so it has a chance of being the real deal. Remember also that "plastic" is not the official name Apple gave to this supposedly new interface, just a name who's become common in forums around the net.

For all those who don't think Tiger will be a huge upgrade, I say don't look just at the surface. There's more under the hood than meets the eye; it was the same in Panther. These could be things the majority of people won't be overly excited about, but that doesn't mean they're not important. Panther introduced some major "capabilities" such as Cocoa Bindings (a runtime enhancement which allows associating an attribute of one object with another) and selfdefragmentation (this alone is a worthwhile upgrade, think about what it would be if Windows offered the same).

Tiger will add things like Core Data, which is rarely spoken of, but it's something developers are really looking forward to (with Core Data Cocoa will be able, among other things, to manage your complete object graph, offering automatic undo support, data consistency and persistence.)

Core Image is another big, big upgrade.

Apple is rumored to have solved the "funnelling" latency in Tiger, which will boost performances in orders of magnitude, particularly on dual-processors machines.

Yes, Spotlight and Dashboard and Safari RSS are all worthy upgrades, but they're just the shiny and glossy tip of the iceberg - those "catchy things" Apple has to show to attract attention to the new release, and those same things that are pinned by the general Mac-hater crowd to spread the notion we're paying good money just for "service packs". If they only knew better...