The OFFICIAL Windows XP SP1 Thread

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that disk access under SP1 seems slower and if anyone has found a fix for it. I've installed SP1 no more than a week ago on a cleanly formatted HD with the same apps as before (I ghosted my drive before SP1) and it seems everything is slower.

Just a suggestion to those who seem to be having problems upgrading and validating XP after the service pack install. There is a student verison, which I've purchased through College bookstore, available for College, University and I think high school students. Its about $120 Canadian (don't know US price prob $100) and its the full registered individual license Pro version. Just a suggestion. :cool:

Nope. Just checked my hard drive performance via Sandra 2002 SP1 and the performance was about the same. What is your setup? Are you using computer's most current IDE drivers? If you have a VIA hard drive controller, I wouldn't use the v4.43 4-in1 drivers. I got REALLY crappy hard drive performance with those, use v4.42 instead.

The deal for Windows XP Pro for $100 is pretty nice. Is there any difference between the regular and student versions?

'drop what?'

Mmm kind of my point really. I would fight with you, but I have no idea what it is you think we should be fighting about. I don't even remember ever directly referring to you in anything I have said. The fact that you seem to think I am talking to, or even about you is possibly a bad case of paranoia. I already sent you a nice message explaining that I never referred to you. But if you keep up the attitude I'm very quickly going to run out of 'nice'. What is the point you are making? (Hang on while I read back over the last few dozen posts). Oh.... yeah, you slipstreamed your non corp version of Windows XP.... Uh hu... Right we got that, I think in fact we got it three days ago when you first said it. Even though your a long way short of being the first person who ever did this, maybe if I congratulated you this would satisfy you? If so well done! You must be some sort of magician or something, doing what you did was incredible, a real breakthrough, perhaps you will get a nobel prize for it one day... So ok, do you feel better now? Or do you still want to fight about it? This is one weird conversation... In any case, if you still do want to fight, particularly with someone who has never said a direct word or made a personal comment about you, you could at least explain what it is you want to fight about???

I can just see this guy furiously tapping his next message on his keyboard now, "I slipstreamed my XP and now I'm going to kick your f*cking heads in..."

Lol! Talk about nuts... That surely is nuts, because so far as I can understand it, that's all I can make out about what your saying.

Chill out dude, relax a while, go out and spend some time in the sunshine. Nothing is worth getting that worked up over. :)

Regards,

Q

Originally posted by jago6498

The deal for Windows XP Pro for $100 is pretty nice. Is there any difference between the regular and student versions?

I'll check the VIA drivers. It *seems* a bit slower when swapping files. Some of my games have slowed down a bit too. Maybe its just me.

As far as the student edition is concerned, it is the full pro verison. You don't have to change it in any way it has all the apps/features that the full Pro version has. I have IIS, the FTP server stuff......etc, included with XP.

MS is good at offering great deals for students. For example the VC++ 6.0 student edition of *IS* the Pro version add you get some extra goodies.

Retailers don't ask to see a previous version to qualify to get the student version. If you read the EUA for the student version it says a requirement is to have 98 or higher since technically "its an upgrade". Have a Win95 CD around? Pop that into the CDROM drive when you install XP student ed and it works. Works all the time for me.

Hi Guys,

i installed Windows Xp with integrated SP1 on an acquired VOLkey. Installation was smooth on final sp1 as was on all earlier betas. But my device manager --> driver update module does not detect any new drivers for any of my hardware. This is stange for me as i thought the Sp1 has all the updated drivers.

Is there a way to update my drivers.

my email is amit1275@vsnl.com

thanks in advance.

Amit

That depends, which drivers for which devices do you want to update? I don't think SP1 did include a new driver.cab file, it was mainly just bug fixes - but if you do want to update your drivers, the normal way to do it is to visit the manufacturer for the specific device you wish to update and download the drivers directly from there.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Q

i had recently upgrated to windows XP SP1...

and i have a problam, when ever a new windows is opened it wouldnt display the site that was loaded in this PopUP or in some cases JaveScripts...

its urgent, PLEASE do the best you can to help me fix the issue...

TNX yo ya all

:) :) :) :) :) :)

i had recently upgraded to windows XP SP1...

and i have a problam, when ever a new windows is opened it wouldnt display the site that was loaded in this PopUP or in some cases JaveScripts...

its urgent, PLEASE do the best you can to help me fix the issue...

TNX to ya all

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Alright. Issues with XP SP1:

After installing I have observed the following phenomena:

1. My 40 GB Maxtor ATA 133 drive refuses to work in anything but PIO mode, no DMA support whatsoever!! And yes, I do have the latest VIA SP and I did try to reinstall the VIA Bus Master/Channels drivers to no avail. Ideas?

2. Changing the BIOS settings for AGP Read Sync and AGP Aperture would result in DivX movies locking up the entire system. VIA MB, latest Gigabyte BIOS and latest GeForce drivers here, and I haven't had the opportunity to pinpoint the exact setting which causes the crash (just a freeze, not even a blue screen). IIdeas?

3. Clicking on the My Computer/My Documents/My Network Places SOMETIMES causes a noticable GDI draw delay. Pretty annoying... ideas?

All these emerged after installing a clean copy of XP with a stripstreamed SP1.

Thanks!

Yes. But the number of driver updates in SP1 is still relatively small. Also they are quite old - in the case of my Radeon 8500 graphics drivers, they are about 3 months behind releases by ATI. So if you want the latest drivers. It is still a good idea to download them directly from the manufacturers. Impliying otherwise is simply confusing.

Regards,

Q

Well Anita, you are a rare beast around these parts... A female no less! :D Well to answer your question I guess you would have to ask, do you want all the latest bug fixes? Do you want your computer to be more reliable and more stable? Do you want improved security and less vulnerability to attacks by virus' etc.

If the answer to these questions is yes, then you perhaps should upgrade. I'm not sure of any cons... Some people have had some difficulties, but not many. And these are usually due to inexperience and can be easily resolved.

For what its worth, that's my advice anyway.

Regards,

Q

Dear Readers

Would anyone can help me to find out what is wrong with this Windows XP Corporation Edition Integrated Windows XP Service Pack 1.

I had a chance to get a Windows XP Corporation Edition Integrated Windows XP Service Pack 1.

The problem starts when I boot to install fully formatted hard disk or even when I want to upgrade from "Windows XP Corporation Edition" to "Windows XP Corporation Edition Integrated Windows XP Service Pack 1"

After copying all files from CD to hard disk pc reboot it automatically and when starts it make a very funny noise ?did, did, did, did,? from inside the CPU.

Then I removed the CD from CDrom and I reboot the pc manually and start again and ask me to put the CD inside the CDrom and again continues to the rest of installation till asks me to key in some other options like Name and company, either I put name or not it pop up an error and windows restart automatically and again makes that funny noise and stops till I reboot it, when I do that again goes to first step of formatting.

What?s up with this CD,

Remove everything connected to your PC, this includes printers scanners etc, everything but your keyboard monitor and mouse. Then open your PC (be sure you know what your doing, or get a qualified engineer to do it) and remove any perpheral PCI cards, such as modem, network, soundcard etc. Also unplug any extra CD Rom devices, so that you are only left with one master CDRom drive, one floppy drive and one harddrive. Then check the system starts ok. If it does make sure the fan on the CPU is running correctly. Once all this is done try reinstalling Windows. It should work, as there are two possibilities. The two most likely scenarios here are that Windows is trying to intsall, or cannot find a driver for a device you have installed - and instead of ignoring it as it should it panics and freezes your sytem. The other is heat, and since beep codes usually come from the bios and not so much the OS, it is possible that you bios is trying to tell you something. This is usually either that your CPU has become too hot, in which case check your fans or buy bigger/better fans, or that a cable has become disconnected, or that there is insufficient power to perform the requested tasks - which means you need a bigger power supply. Also just in case something is wrong with your memory, only leave one memory stick in a single memory slot. Make sure your memory is properly inserted and test each time. If still no luck swap your memory out for a new stick and see if this helps.

The other possibility is that you are trying to install this OS on a very old and insufficiently capable machine - but since you did not post your specifications, there is no way for me to guage this.

I doubt its the CD, lots of other people have it and it works fine for them. However if you got it from a place called sharereactor, I do know that some peeps had problems with that one. So I would avoid that version if I were you. Best of all you should probably just buy a copy, since this will mean you can call MS next time you want technical support.

This basically covers everything I know can go wrong with an install of MS windows, but if anyone else wishes to add to it, please feel free.

Regards,

Q

Yeah I heard there was a corrupted version floating around on the peer to peer networks. The best bet is just to do your own slipstreaming to make an intergrated SP1 CD.

Glad to hear you fixed it.

Q