Mac OS X "Tiger" Compatibility Thread

Messy?  How so?  It has the cleanest interface of any torrent client on the Mac, which is why I prefer it.  I despise Bits on Wheels for just this reason (even though it works on Tiger).  BoW is way too cluttered for my tastes.

585824094[/snapback]

The .app package file is messy, they need to clean it up.

@Phillip

Spotlight within QuickTime 7 Pro works without any problems.

Toast 6.0.9 Clean install.  Problems burning images and data discs.  worked 100 percent with 10.3.9

585823617[/snapback]

I can verify this. I upgraded from 10.3.9 with NO PROBLEMS with toast.

Now in Tiger 10.4 8A428 - Toast 6.0.9 will NOT duplicate DVDs - DVDs I've successfully duplicated in the past.

Also another annoyance is the fact that spotlight does not actually search everything on your machine as is the case with Entourage. Yes yes, I know MS has stated they'll release an update for this, but fact of the matter is, I can see this being a great OS... just not yet, give it 6 months.

I'm thinking of going back to panther until all these "kinks" are worked out and companies have had time to release their new versions or updates or whatnot...

I can verify this. I upgraded from 10.3.9 with NO PROBLEMS with toast.

Now in Tiger 10.4 8A428 - Toast 6.0.9 will NOT duplicate DVDs - DVDs I've successfully duplicated in the past.

Also another annoyance is the fact that spotlight does not actually search everything on your machine as is the case with Entourage. Yes yes, I know MS has stated they'll release an update for this, but fact of the matter is, I can see this being a great OS... just not yet, give it 6 months.

I'm thinking of going back to panther until all these "kinks" are worked out and companies have had time to release their new versions or updates or whatnot...

585827697[/snapback]

You're going back to Panther, a system that doesn't have Spotlight at all, because Tiger doesn't search through Entourage? :huh:

All BiTTorrent clients are broken in Tiger, official is screwed up and azrous gives me a NAT error, anyone experiance the same problem?

585828633[/snapback]

Everyone else has been saying that Azrous (sp?) is working, as is Bits on Wheels (I've tested this one) and Tomato Torrent. Official has been broken for me, but a couple of people have reported it working.

You're going back to Panther, a system that doesn't have Spotlight at all, because Tiger doesn't search through Entourage? :huh:

585828313[/snapback]

well mainly because I'm not very impressed with the OS. Sure automator, spotlight and dashboard are nice features, but at this point they're not developed enough to be suitable on a machine within a production environment.

I'm just saying for now it's probably in my best interest going back into panther where things worked properly and as expected. After a few software updates are released from Apple, and most companies have adjusted their software, I'll install it again.

until then, yes, I'd rather work in an OS without the feature at all rather than an underdeveloped version that only finds half the files I'm looking for, ultimately wasting even more time since i'll have to go looking for them myself...

but that being said, spotlight has some great potential...

well mainly because I'm not very impressed with the OS. Sure automator, spotlight and dashboard are nice features, but at this point they're not developed enough to be suitable on a machine within a production environment.

I'm just saying for now it's probably in my best interest going back into panther where things worked properly and as expected. After a few software updates are released from Apple, and most companies have adjusted their software, I'll install it again.

until then, yes, I'd rather work in an OS without the feature at all rather than an underdeveloped version that only finds half the files I'm looking for, ultimately wasting even more time since i'll have to go looking for them myself...

but that being said, spotlight has some great potential...

585830166[/snapback]

I'm running Tiger 8A428 on a mission-critical Power Mac G5 right now. No problems have cropped up. It anything, it's working 10x better than it used to, and it used to work great. I run most commerical design and web apps on it, including all of Studio MX 2004 and Creative Suite.

It only would find half of your files if they were in fact on servers. Spotlight, the little app in the corner, only searches local disks (including external hard drives) to make things faster. Servers aren't included in that little app, but can be searched through via Finder.

It is possible that Apple took it on themselves to provide compatibility for such apps as Adobe Creative Suit so businesses switched as fast as possible without hiccups. (i.e. waiting for adobe to release an update)

I've switched back to Panther, sorry! Running 10.3.7. now from my Restore DVD that came with the PowerBook. I can't use Tiger without having Cisco VPN client installed (I need it to access my university wireless Internet).

I'll go back to Tiger once Cisco VPN clients are working! Sorry Tiger!

I've switched back to Panther, sorry! Running 10.3.7. now from my Restore DVD that came with the PowerBook. I can't use Tiger without having Cisco VPN client installed (I need it to access my university wireless Internet).

I'll go back to Tiger once Cisco VPN clients are working! Sorry Tiger!

585831256[/snapback]

I thought someone mentioned earlier that the Cisco VPN client was unnecessary with Tiger, that it had a VPN client built in. I might be wrong.

I thought someone mentioned earlier that the Cisco VPN client was unnecessary with Tiger, that it had a VPN client built in.  I might be wrong.

585831683[/snapback]

OSX's VPN client only allows PPTP and L2TP over IPSec connections.

Cisco VPN client provides IPSec over TCP, with group authentication and other functionality that the built in client doesn't support.

OSX's VPN client only allows PPTP and L2TP over IPSec connections.

Cisco VPN client provides IPSec over TCP, with group authentication and other functionality that the built in client doesn't support.

585831788[/snapback]

Thanks for the clarification.

Speaking of the VPN client, does anybody know if/when Cisco will update their client? I heard that it wasn't going to be released (a new version) until the end of May. Can anyone tell me a little more (if they know anything?).

I really, really need the Internet on Tiger! :p

Adium Betas (works w/ occasional crashes)

who would have thought a beta would have occasional crashes? :rolleyes:

anyways, been using tiger for maybe a week now... its been able to handle everything ive thrown at it.

Has anyone tried Microsoft IntelliType or IntelliPoint software?

585824060[/snapback]

After a format and complete clean installation of Tiger, Microsoft Intellipoint 5.1 does not function on Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a.

After a format and complete clean installation of Tiger, Microsoft Intellipoint 5.1 does not function on Intellimouse Explorer 3.0a.

585851121[/snapback]

Hmm.. works fine with my Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2

works for me.

That's odd.

(limewire that is)

I get error messages with Dashboard though.

Age of Mythology works fine.

585851121[/snapback]

I have received Tiger and installed IntelliPoint & IntelliType 5.1 since asking the question and both work fine with my Wireless Optical Desktop Elite.