Official WinHEC 2005 Thread

I remember when Tiger was done in WMDC(can't remember the order), they were talking about how Longhorn was going to take 2 to 3 years to release there new search feature in the OS and Tiger was close to be finish. Then they talk about how LH was copying what Tiger was going to be. Then All the Mac lovers started to talk about how Microsoft has copy Apple again. But in WinHEC, I was watching the demo how the new search feature works and it was completly different from what Tiger was going by searching for data. MSN desktop was like Tiger search but Longhorn search was more advance then MSN desktop search and Tiger. It was layout different from Tiger and you can add tags on the fly that Tiger can't do. So, what did Longhorn copy from Tiger anyway? I do remember that Microsoft talk about there new search feature a year before Tiger was talk about.

i dont like it when companies start saying you copied us etc.. its nice to see both companies pushing each other to create the better search engine. spotlight is very very fast.. but i think when longhorn is finished it might be better with the extra features.

i dont like it when companies start saying you copied us etc..

585831560[/snapback]

Agreed, that was really unprofessional and self-centered of them.

However with that being said, Longhorn's search is taking data management to a further level. Rather than just displaying the "result", you can interact with it.

Wow, interesting thread. Missed alot. Cheers Tom and Ref'X for your great work on posting on the Neowin Blog (GET ON MSN MORE). Anybody made a batch file to enable the DWM effects? Also anybody got a link to the webcast Bill did yesterday (before you moan am I'm at college and would like the links for when I get home).

Nice to see the community so interested in Longhorn :)

Shame both my hard-drives decided to die while attempting to create partitions and installing Longhorn and my data is gone. Need to get it installed and mess around with it :( :/

I still have a partition available from LH4074 but converted it to logical. Will remove all files off it when I home and convert it to primary :)

I still have a partition available from LH4074 but converted it to logical. Will remove all files off it when I home and convert it to primar:):)

585831719[/snapback]

Well things went to the worst for me yesterday, with XP refusing to boot, tried to install Longhorn and that failed miserable, finally found an XP cd, installed but both hard-drive are near dying any minute and need formatting and all the data from both has basically nearly all gone.

Oh, and ripgut:hug_girl:l:doctor:r:

Well things went to the worst for me yesterday, with XP refusing to boot, tried to install Longhorn and that failed miserable, finally found an XP cd, installed but both hard-drive are near dying any minute and need formatting and all the data from both has basically nearly all gone.

Oh, and ripgut  :hug_girl: :doctor:

585831737[/snapback]

Ouch. I'm sorry.

I'm not surprised my Laptop's HD is dead. I format quite often. Must have formatted 15 times since June (includes some LH tests etc.)

Looks like LH4008 I used to have is awful compared to 5048.

Ouch. I'm sorry.

I'm not surprised my Laptop's HD is dead. I format quite often. Must have formatted 15 times since June (includes some LH tests etc.)

Looks like LH4008 I used to have is awful compared to 5048.

585831753[/snapback]

My fault really, been running XP for at least 2-3 weeks, no reboots, updates, defragments. Never really done that before but I get lots of logs from Neowin IRC and other IRC channels overnight. My C:\ drive was basically dying after not being cared for. And during the installation I mucked about trying to make a partiation to save my data both on C:\ and D:\ but had never messed about with them in xp installation so yeah, it all went wrong, but at least I've learnt a few thing:):)

Oh, and ripgut?:hug_girl:::doctor::

585831737[/snapback]

See, i new there was somthing holding me back from winding you up about it - Same thing happened to me, except i've managed to keep E:\ (With all my naughty stuff :pp ) Safe.

I don't even have an OS installed ATM, only Cd that want's to boot is Ubuntu and 98 - (The XP one gets too 'Inspecting Hardware Configuration - then crashes). So i'm gonna be on 98 while i create a new XP Cd for a while >.<

See, i new there was somthing holding me back from winding you up about it - Same thing happened to me, except i've managed to keep E:\ (With all my naughty stuff  :p ) Safe.

I don't even have an OS installed ATM, only Cd that want's to boot is Ubuntu and 98 - (The XP one gets too 'Inspecting Hardware Configuration - then crashes). So i'm gonna be on 98 while i create a new XP Cd for a while >.<

585831806[/snapback]

Lmfao, so much love Rickie :devil:

I've recovered a few files I can't get back but not all and gave up at 3am after 3 recovery programs and all showing the same data. Just going to format and work on getting all my data back, shouldn't be too hard :)

Hopefully sidebar was not permanently scrapped, because I'm one of few people who actually liked the idea of it. :dontgetit:

I'd love to have something that organizes contacts, RSS feeds, music player controller, et cetera, at one place.

Hopefully sidebar was not permanently scrapped, because I'm one of few people who actually liked the idea of it. :dontgetit:

I'd love to have something that organizes contacts, RSS feeds, music player controller, et cetera, at one place.

585831834[/snapback]

It was just removed because this is the 48th compiled build since they changed the codebase. The Sidebar was removed because it was causing the memory leak remember.

would be cool if

neowin created a thread with strictly screenshots of LONGHORN and a brief explanation of the shots.

no comments in it. It would be just cool to see it all together in one archive of pictures as the OS continues development. :)

The whole sidebar/sideshow idea is probably being rewritten anyway.

I invision the sidebar more or less serving the function of Dashboard or products like that, with add-in "widgets" and what not. I think they may have gone back to the drawing board when it comes to exactly how it's implemented...