AIM Triton beta 0.1.12

Its a good idea to finally change the UI. Although it is very buggy at this stage. Hopefully the later betas/final are much better.

I have found a way to enable a hidden tab in the preferences, which gives you control over ads!

post-35380-1114475016_thumb.jpg

Instructions:

1) Make sure all AIM processes are closed first! Force them closed from the task manager.

2) Open "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AIMBeta\services\imApp\ver0_1_12\content\prefs\prefsContainer.box" in WordPad (DO NOT use NotePad, as it won't save properly)

2) Search for "TabAds"

3) Change the following line:

<aolVerticalTab id="tabAds" collapsed="true" justify="left" label="Ads"/>

to

<aolVerticalTab id="tabAds" justify="left" prefSetAttribute="collapsed" label="Ads"/>

4) Save file and open AIM. There will be a new tab named "Ads" in the preferences, allowing you to resize the adverts and even shut them off.

I'll upload my copy of the file. Just overwrite your old one with this and you'll have access to the hidden Ads control.

If this is not allowed, please let me know and take it down. Thanks.

prefsContainer.zip

A note to shadowdawg: Please do not misguide people. This test is not a mistaken release and that is NOT what a beta staff member would have said.

As for f0rbez that is a very interesting find. I wonder why an exploit was left so open.

A note to shadowdawg: Please do not misguide people.  This test is not a mistaken release and that is NOT what a beta staff member would have said.

As for f0rbez that is a very interesting find.  I wonder why an exploit was left so open.

585829749[/snapback]

I assume they left it there for corporate users or possibly were thinking about enabling it later.

I was very suprised to come across that, but extremely glad because the adverts are really distracting and ugly.

Supposedly this software is intended to be part of a premium bundle in the future, so I'm sure you are right as far as corporate clients and payed users. Enjoy the beta while it lasts...it is beautiful compared to the current AIM...

I have found a way to enable a hidden tab in the preferences, which gives you control over ads!

post-35380-1114475016_thumb.jpg

Instructions:

1) Make sure all AIM processes are closed first! Force them closed from the task manager.

2) Open "C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\AIMBeta\services\imApp\ver0_1_12\content\prefs\prefsContainer.box" in WordPad (DO NOT use NotePad, as it won't save properly)

2) Search for "TabAds"

3) Change the following line:

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?<aolVerticalTab id="tabAds" collapsed="true" justify="left" label="Ads"/>

to

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?<aolVerticalTab id="tabAds" justify="left" prefSetAttribute="collapsed" label="Ads"/>

4) Save file and open AIM. There will be a new tab named "Ads" in the preferences, allowing you to resize the adverts and even shut them off.

I'll upload my copy of the file. Just overwrite your old one with this and you'll have access to the hidden Ads control.

If this is not allowed, please let me know and take it down. Thanks.

585829725[/snapback]

[/quote:woot:>

:woot: Any hidden settings to remeber the user name and password???

Nope no exploit on the username pwd yet. It appears in the code that the Ads tab was the only one that was hidden.

In a way I'm so happy that this program has already been exploited because it shows that people actually care to give it attention. Usually all AOL betas are brushed under the table. This should really get the deserved attention.

Wow. 

Wow.

Really nice of AIM to (finally) do this.  Once they've got logging, I'll wait for an ad patch, and then I'm definately coming from DeadAIM+5.2 to this.

I can't wait!

585829369[/snapback]

I second this. DeadAIM+5.2 is what I have, and it is currently the bomb.

Had DeadAIM and switched and it was worth it. Unless you are die hard on logging, and cloning - DeadAIM is now useless.

Awhile back JDennis said that AOL corporate contacted him and this latest beta shows they may have 'chatted' about a few things ;)

why cant the main window that shows your buddy list min to the taskbar like the other ones did or am i not doing something right? every time you click on the X it just logs you out lol

Well AIM installed other services I didn't want running. When I closed AIM, because it lagged, I couldnt close the other 'AOL Connect' icon without the task manager. I want to chat with people, not all that crap. gAIM does what this does, its faster and it is a lot less glitzy. I had it installed for 3 minutes and took it off. That is my opinion, maybe final will be better.

585829666[/snapback]

Eh, what do you expect from a beta?

Mirroring AOL? AHAHAHAAHA!!! You have to be kidding me. Do you know the kind of bandwidth they have?  :laugh:

585829678[/snapback]

Hmm, well before I posted my mirror, I saw some people had trouble with the AIM beta site and were also asking for the actual setup files, which is what I put up. :rolleyes:

wow i can't believe im actually going to say this but aol has recently been making some interesting software. and i was able to sign one of my old screen names that was warned to 100% permently and now i see no more warning. :tries my suspended sns:

lmbo..

ads... hahaha!! :(

I'll stick with current aim with Aim Ad Hack and Trillian :)

585829968[/snapback]

umm if you would take a look on page 6 there is a way to remove the ads..