MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

It just occurred to me that the MBU might be taking the time now to move their programs from Carbon to Cocoa to make the transition to OS X/Intel easier (I believe most of their stuff is Carbon right now).? Thatmight> be an explanation why they are taking so long to finish MSN Messenger.

586060326[/snapback]

I've read somewhere that the Microsoft don't need any porting at all to run on Intel, I feel kinda stupid because I can't find the article back.:((

I've read somewhere that the Microsoft don't need any porting at all to run on Intel, I feel rkinda stupid because I can't find the article back. :(

586060328[/snapback]

I highly doubt that. Steve said that Carbon apps would take the longest (other than things not coded in XCode) to port, and I'm fairly certain that most of Microsoft's programs are Carbon.

I highly doubt that.? Steve said that Carbon apps would take the longest (other than things not coded in XCode) to port, and I'm fairly certain that most of Microsoft's programs are Carbon.

586060344[/snapback]

It had to do something with the fact that Microsoft already coded them from the start for both platforms. Not sure tho.

But like I said, I can't find the article anymore so don't quote me on it.;))

But like I said, I can't find the article anymore so don't quote me on it. ;)

586060392[/snapback]

OK, I won't :p

Considering some of the misinformed articles I read about the transition last week, I'd say it was most likely a reporter who got some of the facts mixed up. He probably saw Word, etc. running on Steve's computer, heard the Microsoft rep say that they would support the Intel Macs, put 2 & 2 together and came up with 5.

Maybe he just had some extremely large values of 2? ;)

But, anyway, I'll give this a whack when it's (eventually) out - but I'm quite happy with Proteus for the time being...

Maybe he just had some extremely large values of 2? ;)

586062859[/snapback]

Or he was using one of the original Pentiums :p. Then again, most people here aren't old enough to remember that fiasco.

Or he was using one of the original Pentiums  :p.  Then again, most people here aren't old enough to remember that fiasco.

586062894[/snapback]

you mean the "Pentium FDIV bug" back on 1994?

On October 30, 1994, Professor Thomas Nicely of Lynchburg College reported a bug in the Pentium floating point unit. He reported that certain division operations returned a value which was wrong by a very small amount. This result was quickly verified by other people around the Internet, and became known as the Pentium FDIV bug (FDIV is the x86 assembly language instruction for floating point division). Other people found division problems where the result returned by the Pentium was off by up to 61 parts per million. Note that this problem occurred only on some models of the original Pentium processor. Any Pentium family processor with a clock speed of at least 120 MHz is new enough not to have this bug.

This report stirred up a huge controversy. Intel at first denied that the problem existed. Later, Intel claimed that it was not serious and would not affect most users; however, people who could prove that they were affected would get their processor replaced by Intel. However, although most independent estimates found the bug to be of little importance and have negligible effect on most uses, it has caused a great public outcry. Companies like IBM (whose "586" microprocessor competed at that time with the Intel Pentium line) joined the condemnation. Finally, Intel was forced to offer to replace all flawed Pentium processors, at huge potential cost to the company (however, it turned out that only a small fraction of Pentium owners actually bothered to get their chips replaced).

Source: Wikipedia

you mean the "Pentium FDIV bug" back on 1994?

Source: Wikipedia

586068115[/snapback]

Yep, that's the one. Back in 1994, it was a much bigger deal than that article implies. People in the tech industries were constantly making jokes about it. Eleven years later, many people don't even remember much about it, other than what they have heard from someone else.

Yep, that's the one.  Back in 1994, it was a much bigger deal than that article implies.  People in the tech industries were constantly making jokes about it.  Eleven years later, many people don't even remember much about it, other than what they have heard from someone else.

586068330[/snapback]

shhhhhhh!!! you're making me feel older than I am... :blush: :happy: :laugh: :rofl:

geeezzzzz, time flies when you're having fun at work... :p

shhhhhhh!!! you're making me feel older than I am...?:blush::?:happy:y::laugh:gh::rofl:fl:

geeezzzzz, time flies when you're having fun at work..:p:p

586073001[/snapback]

LOL, I've got nearly 7 years on you, so I'm the one who should feel old. You are 1 month older than my wife (well 29 days to be exact).

Do u think MSN Messenger 5 will be released before the end of this year at least??? :(

~Matt~

P.S. MJ WAS FOUND NOT GUILTY OF ALL CHARGES WOO HOO!!!! :D

I have a feeling, MS won't release any new softwares on PowerPC now more

586078146[/snapback]

Why is that? Their rep at WWDC stated that they would support both platforms. It's not like supporting both is all that difficult. In some cases it's as simple as checking a box in XCode.

Think about it. There are roughly 25 million or more OS X users out there, and currently 100% of those are on PowerPC. That won't even begin to change until about a year from now. Even then, the vast majority of the users are going to be on PowerPC probably for at least the next 5 years or so until those users upgrade their hardware (Mac users tend to keep their systems longer than Windows users). It would be stupid for a developer to stop developing PowerPC based OS X software anytime in the near future (at least before 2010).

In the WWDC keynote a Microsoft representative stated that they are hard at work on the next version of Messenger for OSX and that it will be released in a few months...

586027361[/snapback]

Her name is Roz, Ho.

And for your information she is the General Manager of the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft, she leads all the development teams for Microsoft Products on the Macintosh. So she's not a rep.

Her name is Roz, Ho.

And for your information she is the General Manager of the Macintosh Business Unit at Microsoft, she leads all the development teams for Microsoft Products on the Macintosh. So she's not a rep.

586093493[/snapback]

time and again she's proved that she's a really bad dressing sense :no: did anybody else feel the same ?

Her name is Roz, Ho.

586093493[/snapback]

Since she was at WWDC "representing" Microsoft, she is a "rep", in a manner of speaking.

Damm, when I saw this on the main page I thought it said "MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Released".

Damm, when I saw this on the main page I thought it said "MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Released".

586093836[/snapback]

Yeah, that happens quite often. The title gets clipped in just the right spot to be confusing.

Her name is Roz, Ho.

586093493[/snapback]

I see you are from Scotland and I am not sure how different your use of the English language is, but here in the U.S. since she was there representing Microsoft she is considered a representative no matter what her job position is :blink:

time and again she's proved that she's a really bad dressing sense  :no: did anybody else feel the same ?

586093525[/snapback]

I thought she looked nice, shame she cannot speak very well you can understand her but she speaks like she is building her confidence while she is on stage, she talks over people clapping and awkward silences make her not the best guest speaker. Just my opinion.