MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

a few month...haha...I think she was made because steve bashed MS so badly at the begining of the show, she was just like...screw them, I'll delay Messenger a few MORE month...:laugh:..

I don't think that happened, but yeah...a few month is what the ho said...

oops...but that is her last name!...:laugh:...fine...Ms.Ho...happy?...:laugh:

Pure Logic are you serious???? it suposed to be released in June... did that change???

Thanks

Dan

586027092[/snapback]

Yeah, according to a Microsoft representative at the 2005 WWDC it will be released in the next few months. She said that literally.

It's funny when I think of it, the guy from http://r-james.myby.co.uk/messenger/ only had the things right that could be accessed publicly like the help files and the leaked Messenger 5 screenshot.

I'm not implying anything of course. ;)

Edited by PureLogic

huh? 404 error

586029078[/snapback]

go to www.messengerformac.com ...that should get u to the site ur looking for :)

do u guys think that now they are gonna be a few months before they release it, they may add features such as video camera access, audio access, etc.. ?

huh? 404 error

586029078[/snapback]

Yeah it's down at the moment. But most people who have followed this thread know who I mean. :)

I dont have a mac but id like to see where msn on the mac is at in the form of a screenshot maybe?

586029110[/snapback]

MSN Messenger 4.0

Messenger 5.0

post-91325-1118144039.jpg

This is exactly what I mean: http://rjt-online.myby.co.uk/messenger/art...php?id=024&ref=

He's just assuming that it's being delayed because of the Intel switch and acts like it's a fact. Didn't they say on the keynote that Microsoft Office 2004 will run on an Intel based Mac OS X system without any recompilation? So why wouldn't this be the case with MSN Messenger, since 4.0.1 is part of the Office 2004 suite.

go to www.messengerformac.com ...that should get u to the site ur looking for  :)

do u guys think that now they are gonna be a few months before they release it, they may add features such as video camera access, audio access, etc.. ?

586029190[/snapback]

I thought Microsoft made it plainly clear that there *ISN'T* going to be Video chat for MSN on the Mac? It would only happen when a new version of the client for Windows which features a new codec, as Microsoft seems unwilling to port current one across, and it'd be needed to be compatible with each other.

Looks like crap, and if that website is to belived it still wont have webcam support. If this is the case something seriously needs to be done, because I'd be dead if I didn't have a windows computer right now. i can't believe that it's so difficult for microsoft to put these features in the mac version.

And yes, Steve said that Rosetta would allow programs written for PowerPC macs to run on Intel macs. So why can't Microsoft release what they've done anyway, knowing it would run fine on the new Intel ones when they are shipped.

Anyhow, may have found a soloution:

http://www.mercury.to/index.php?sub=Mac

Latest beta of mercury messenger supports video on MSN

Supposedly the latest version of aMSN also supports webcams, but I can't see any information about that in the changelog :/

Edited by Syphonic

Seriously, they've been working on a moderate IM application update for over a year now, that's just insane. :/

586027056[/snapback]

Yahoo has them beat though. They haven't released a new version in over two years.

Yahoo has them beat though.  They haven't released a new version in over two years.

586030868[/snapback]

Yeah but Microsoft is actually in the process of making one, and they announced it at the WWDC in 2004.

Yeah but Microsoft is actually in the process of making one, and they announced it at the WWDC in 2004.

586031798[/snapback]

Well, if you were to believe the e-mails that you get in reply when you ask Yahoo about Messenger, you'd think they were working on a new version too. I'm just saying that Yahoo has gone even longer than Microsoft without an update to their Mac port.

Well, if you were to believe the e-mails that you get in reply when you ask Yahoo about Messenger, you'd think they were working on a new version too.  I'm just saying that Yahoo has gone even longer than Microsoft without an update to their Mac port.

586031833[/snapback]

They still haven't announced anything official, no screenshots and there wasn't a Yahoo representative on the WWDC this year unlike Microsoft with Messenger 5.

Frankly I don't care about what Yahoo does, and I don't see what it has to do with Microsoft either. Just because Yahoo doesn't update it's Mac IM software, it's naturally Microsoft should do the same?

Just use Mercury Messenger...it's great...thats if there are servers online!

586057706[/snapback]

No don't think so. I'll stick with MSN Messenger and iChat.

I personally think it's pathetic that Mercury and other open source MSN Messenger replacements will have closer feature-parity to the Windows version of Messenger than the official MSN Messenger for Mac 5.0 (whenever it's finally released). The MBU has really dropped the ball on this. I tried a video chat using Mercury with a friend using MSN Messenger 7 on Windows last night and it worked very well.

when ever I see this thread I think it has been released :/

586058660[/snapback]

Nah, we probably won't see it before the successor of Longhorn has been released. Blackcomb or something.

I'm being optimistic right now. ;)

(and maybe a little bit sarcastic)

So... is there any beta release some where??? or somebody that knows somebody that works in the MBU :p... that maybe wanna share it with us...????

Dan :D :D :D :D

You all know it's going to suck more than any of you thought and we're still going to be worse off.

Come on Google IM is what I say! The logical way is that Google with use the AIM network, as they are good friends with AOL and Apple. So all your MSN friends will move to Google IM and then you can talk to them using iChat.

You all know it's going to suck more than any of you thought and we're still going to be worse off.

586059156[/snapback]

As long as it has working filetransfer, avatar support and the new interface I'm fine. I don't have any illusions that it will be a great new super version of MSN Messenger for Mac, so don't tell me what I think. :rolleyes:

And I don't need another IM protocol so I can have 3 applications/accounts running to acces all of my buddies. :pinch:

Edited by PureLogic

they are so dumb, they don't have any excuses right now why they can't have wwebcam support, none. AMSN has it and so does Mercury. Gaim is working on it now and when gaim gets it so will adium, so msn for mac is going to be dead sooner then later because the competition is kicking their ass

they are so dumb, they don't have any excuses right now why they can't have wwebcam support, none. AMSN has it and so does Mercury. Gaim is working on it now and when gaim gets it so will adium, so msn for mac is going to be dead sooner then later because the competition is kicking their ass

586059303[/snapback]

It just occurred to me that the MBU might be taking the time now to move their programs from Carbon to Cocoa to make the transition to OS X/Intel easier (I believe most of their stuff is Carbon right now). That might be an explanation why they are taking so long to finish MSN Messenger.