MSN Messenger 5 for OSX Release date

Well... I every week go to a site that says some things about MSN Messenger 5 For Mac.. well like 2 mont ago the developers says Mid-Later April... then they change the estimate date of release to first two weeks of May.. and today i got surprised because it says now Summer of 2005, its seek how Microsoft put the Mac people in the wall... They released "2" builds of MSN Messenger 7 in "2" weeks... and how can they release "1" final build of MSN 5...

So MAD... :(

Dan

Source

I dont read that it only says Summer 2005!

Dan

PS: Well but if they whant to release it that time at least they have to put some webcam support or something.. and put out a public beta :p

so?

you are lucky you even make an offical client for mac

in my opinion they shouldnt bother..especially since you all complain

585833803[/snapback]

By the same token, Apple shouldn't make QuickTime for Windows (or iTunes for that matter). How about no Windows compatible iPods while we are at it? Remember that the only way Microsoft makes money off MSN Messenger (on either platform) is from the advertising. Do you think they really care if that advertising money comes from Windows or the Mac? Maybe if Microsoft's used more cross-platform friendly code, they wouldn't take so long porting things from Windows to the Mac. The Mac Business Unit is one of the most profitable divisions at Microsoft.

Thread Title Edited

Disappointed to be honest, I don't use any other client on OS X.

Radish?

I dont read that it only says Summer 2005!

Dan

PS: Well but if they whant to release it that time at least they have to put some webcam support or something.. and put out a public beta :p

585833798[/snapback]

Uhhh... it's right there in huge letters at the top of the page.

splash_home20050425.jpg

Well it isn't called MSN Messenger anymore, but Microsoft Messenger 5 for Mac or in shot Messenger 5 for Mac. They're probably adding new features, but it seems they're focussing on the business accounts more rather than on the personal.

@roadwarrior

Yeah right! Imagine what would happen with the iPod sales if Apple's going to ignore Windows users. Very sharp comment!

@roadwarrior

Yeah right! Imagine what would happen with the iPod sales if Apple's going to ignore the Windows users. Very sharp comment!

585833906[/snapback]

Well, that was exactly my point. Microsoft would be stupid to ignore one of their most profitable markets, just as Apple would be if they stopped making stuff for Windows.

Well, that was exactly my point.  Microsoft would be stupid to ignore one of their most profitable markets, just as Apple would be if they stopped making stuff for Windows.

585833919[/snapback]

I think Microsoft will more than manage if they're dropping Messenger for Mac support. We probably can't say the same thing about the iPod sales.

Its some body that develope msn messenger 5 for Mac have any details???

Dan

585834051[/snapback]

Last time I heard there are only two people working on the project.

I think Microsoft will more than manage if they're dropping Messenger for Mac support.

585833935[/snapback]

That's not true.

MSN is the mainstream IM network outside of the U.S. It's reasonable to assume that most people have friends who use Macs. If MS drops support for Messenger for Mac, people will be forced to use alternative chat network to communicate with their Mac friends. MS makes messenger for Mac not because of the negligible ads revenue from it. They do it so that people wouldn't ditch MSN for another chat cross-platform protocol.

PS: i tought it was more people... that have it.... and develope for them... :s

585834109[/snapback]

You're not making any sense at all, sorry. You might want to improve your English a bit, it's really hard to follow what you're saying sometimes.

@fuzzy_logic

You've got a good point there. :)

It would be a real shame if Microsoft Dropped MSN Support for mac. Maybe apple should come out with iMessenger for MSN :p. Probably would be better then what microsoft has right now. Just like Apple made there own browser and then Microsoft stopped making Internet Explorer for Mac and admited that they couldnt keep up with safari.

That's not true.

MSN is the mainstream IM network outside of the U.S. It's reasonable to assume that most people have friends who use Macs. If MS drops support for Messenger for Mac, people will be forced to use alternative chat network to communicate with their Mac friends. MS makes messenger for Mac not because of the negligible ads revenue from it. They do it so that people wouldn't ditch MSN for another chat cross-platform protocol.

585834106[/snapback]

he's right, in canada it's all about MSN

Wow! That is a really disgusting interface.

... After a second look, maybe it's the OVERLY LARGE "send" button. Good grief, if they did some usability testing I am sure they would find most people use the "enter key" for sending instant messages anyway. That button's size is just unnecessarily awkward.

Wow! That is a really disgusting interface.

... After a second look, maybe it's the OVERLY LARGE "send" button. Good grief, if they did some usability testing I am sure they would find most people use the "enter key" for sending instant messages anyway. That button's size is just unnecessarily awkward.

585835979[/snapback]

Perhaps the button's size is large compared to other clients, but if you compare MSN Messenger for Windows with any other IM client for Windows, you'll see the same results. That's just the way Microsoft likes it I guess--a huge send button :pinch:

I would have been more disappointed if I hadn't heard that iChat in Tiger will be able to access your MSN contacts via Jabber, or if they actually had some worthwhile features being added like proper file tranfer support, video/audio conferencing.

I do still use the official MSN Messenger client, but I've been trying to drop it.