Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

Perhaps this has been answered already but, I hear people saying Apple left IBM because they couldn't produce.

Now, if they can't produce then how the hell are the consoles gonna get their PowerPC chips? I think Apple just got ****ed at IBM because they are supplying consoles with uber chips and not Apple's Mac's.

I can understand why they chose Intel instead of AMD though, they feel Intel can supply the quantity better. But wasn't Intel having problems not so long ago supplying their chips?

And I havn't heard a damn thing about Intel's DRM in Mac's, why arn't people complaining? And why didn't they try (I'm sure they did) to work something out with AMD since they have the cooler running/faster chips, or does this deal only apply to Laptops (Pentium M)?.

Lot's of very valid questions/conspiracies here.

-Edit:- Did I post this in the wrong thread?  :o

586027675[/snapback]

I'm thinking the reason theyre supporting Intel on this is because Intel was quite up there 5 years ago when AMD was only offering their AMD XPs? Correct?

Welp, I think Apple handled this situation the best they could. They were getting the short end of the stick by IBM, plus the G5 pretty much hit the end of the road. They're making this transition as painless as possible, and they're not even "phasing out" PPC like they did 68k. Steve said there would be more PPC products himself, they're just introducing Intel processors into future products, and in the development area, they've also made it as painless as possible. They've had to do this before, so this time it will be a lot smoother. XCode 2.1's multi-platform compiling "Universal Binaries" are a blessing, and porting to Intel is relatively easy.

Well done Apple, I look forward to see what you and Intel cook up in the future.

my only worry is that my brand new pb g4 will be obsolete much more so than it would have been 5 years down the road. this has to last me through college, and i spend 2000 bucks on it. a week after i bought it, this happens. my worry is that come 5 years, software compatiblility will be not very good at all for older ppc macs.

my only worry is that my brand new pb g4 will be obsolete much more so than it would have been 5 years down the road.  this has to last me through college, and i spend 2000 bucks on it.  a week after i bought it, this happens.  my worry is that come 5 years, software compatiblility will be not very good at all for older ppc macs.

586028000[/snapback]

Software compatibility will be fine if developers are curteous. Using universal binaries will ensure PowerPC compatibility for years to come, and Apple will definitely keep compiling OS X for both architectures each release.

Software compatibility will be fine if developers are curteous. Using universal binaries will ensure PowerPC compatibility for years to come, and Apple will definitely keep compiling OS X for both architectures each release.

586028142[/snapback]

I bet 10.6 will be the last version for ppc, but that is not going to be out till 2009 or 10.

icecaveman, yea they didnt cost money, but then again they werent really that good ;) j/k j/k for me, the "extra security" in sp2 just made things worse and i dunno sp2 just didnt really impress me at all, not that that matters but i dont think it offered nearly as much as tiger did to my mac. 

586027533[/snapback]

Seriously, what's your point? You realize that SP2 and Tiger are two totally different matter, yet you still think Tiger is "better"? You contradicted yourself at least twice in that first paragraph.

Tiger is what Apple claims to be a new OS, whereas SP2's purpose was to keep Windows up to date with security and new technologies such as Bluetooth and Wi-Fi. If SP2 was actually "better" in your definition, then MS would have to be the most generous software maker on the earth.

Anyway, I'm also concerned about the fate(?) of my PowerBook as well. I've always thought Pbook+PentiumM would be a sweet combination, and now that I got Pbook G4, Apple team up with Intel.... ugh.

my only worry is that my brand new pb g4 will be obsolete much more so than it would have been 5 years down the road.  this has to last me through college, and i spend 2000 bucks on it.  a week after i bought it, this happens.  my worry is that come 5 years, software compatiblility will be not very good at all for older ppc macs.

586028000[/snapback]

True enough, but even today software compatability isn't very good for 5 year old macs. It's not for

any technical reason - they're just old. Imagine using a 5 year old iMac

today. It's doable, but software like gargeband, iChat, Keynote, etc. become nearly unusable. That

machine doesn't meet the requirements for 10.4 (no firewire).

In 5 years I doubt I'll own any of the hardware I've bought in the last month - I'm more concerned

with the next 2-3 years. 5 years is just too long to plan for.

True enough, but even today software compatability isn't very good for 5 year old macs. It's not for

any technical reason - they're just old.? Imagine using a 5 year old iMac

today. It's doable, but software like gargeband, iChat, Keynote, etc. become nearly unusable. That

machine doesn't meet the requirements for 10.4 (no firewire).

In 5 years I doubt I'll own any of the hardware I've bought in the last month - I'm more concerned

with the next 2-3 years. 5 years is just too long to plan for.

586028302[/snapback]

I got my iBook 2.5 years ago, and plan on using it for about another 2 years. That brings my total cost down to about $1/day. I will probably be getting an iMac G5 this summer, but I might just wait and get an intel based powermac.

I also got a letter today telling my I am eligible for a $50 apple giftcard because of the 3g iPod class-action lawsuit.

so i have kind of a stupid question, but what was that song played at the end of the keynote?

I think I'll restart my ADC Select membership and order a set of the transition platform... Tho I wonder do I get my $999 (or part of it) back when I return it?

Flamers: SP2 and Tiger are completely different, and if you try to compare SP2 to Tiger you are simply wasting your time. Tiger introduced over 200 new features and improvements to OSX; SP2 was nothing but a "huge security update" which really did nothing much - I still get viruses, I still get spyware, I still get adware - what the hell did they change? The only thing I noticed was my PC's performance (it slowed down) and the addition of the security center, which I never use. And yes, I have updated anti-virus and several anti-spyware/adware programs installed.

Windows Desktop Search is nothing but a clone of Spotlight - WMP10 does have HDTV support, but H.264 is a codec that delivers extremely high quality at remarkably low bitrates (something the I've never seen WMP10 do) - but most of all, Microsoft do nothing but give you all these add-on things; Tiger implanted all these technologies into the system itself as standard features. Plus, Tiger introduced things that SP2 didn't (things that can't even be done on Windows) - for example, Automator and some of iChat Av's features.

And finally, SP2 didn't recieve reviews such as "It?s Marvellous" and "A Major Leap" - Tiger did. (Source: here)

And now, back on topic...

Although I trust Steve, this switch to Intel is a bit iffy. I really don't want to see an "Intel Inside" sticker on my next Mac:(:(

Tiger introduced over 200 new features

586029302[/snapback]

Yeah.. if you consider keyboard shortcuts a "feature". I think Spotlight somehow counted for about 15 "features". :whistle:

what do u think guys, Leopard the next version of MAC OS X will have maybe support natively in INTEL processors, this mean that will be able to buy a OS X box and install in our computer like windows, do u think after see the keynote will be this a reality?

Windows XP has matured far since it's release, Service Pack 2 for one is  bigger than MOST of the so called "major" OSX releases, it didn't cost money now did it?

586027510[/snapback]

lol, it did cost us money to go from 5.0 to 5.1, didnt it ? :rolleyes:

BTW did aristotle-dude just shoot himself in the head or has anyone heard from him since it was official?

586027621[/snapback]

That was brought up earlier in this thread and Chad said the following:

Drop it.

586025241[/snapback]

One of many things could have driven IBM mad, for example the way Apple treated the G5s as they had done the major part in engineering those chips and continusly downplayd IBMs part in the design.

586027707[/snapback]

Nice speculation especially when you have a grudge against Apple. :D Apple ditched IBM, not the other way around ;)

I don't see why they would. 68k computers didn't become collectors items (value-wise) when Apple switched to using PPC

586026821[/snapback]

Have you looked at the prices of some old Macs on eBay? They sometimes go for quite a bit of money.

Apple will make OSX bound to certain hardware configurations to support their own sales and reduce driver support.

Said limitations will be promptly removed by swathes of competent crackers.

Open source / vendor released OSX drivers for 'unsupported' hardware will become prevailant and widespead within 6 months.

There are many, many more competent x86 programmers out there than there are PPC programmers and a LOT of people out there who will stop at nothing to get OSX running on as many PCs as possible.

I have foreseen it, along with my own Linux / XP64 / OSX triple-boot configured rig sitting in my home.

Lastly, I wish I could see the look on the faces of all the pompous Apple fanboys who loudly and arrogantly proclaimed that a switch to x86 would never happen. Big-endian, Little-endian, Altivec, RISC, CISC... NONSENSE the lot of it. You may all now come back down to earth and enjoy the benefits of living in the real world once you've finished dabbing up the crumbs of humble-pie off your Intel branded mousemats.

I just hope Steve Jobs builds a sufficient delay into his road map to allow Mac users time to adjust to using so many extra fingers on their mice. :)

Apple will make OSX bound to certain hardware configurations to support their own sales and reduce driver support.

Open source / vendor released OSX drivers for 'unsupported' hardware will become prevailant and widespead within 6 months.

586029453[/snapback]

I posted the following in another thread, but I thought it might bear repeating here:

Actually, I'm not so sure that it will be "impossible" to do, just that Apple won't support it. Think about the following:

1. Darwin already runs on generic x86 hardware

2. OS X is based on the code in Darwin

3. XPostFacto allows you to run OS X (and Darwin) on unsupported Macs (including some of the old clones)

4. The author of XPostFacto makes use of Darwin when writing new versions

What does that add up to for me? I have a feeling that the x86 version of Darwin we have been seeing all along is in fact the lower levels of "Marklar". If that is the case, then it is likely that the author of XPostFacto will be able to come up with a version that will allow installing OS X/x86 on (at least some) non-Apple hardware.

Another thing I realized that disappointed me about today's keynote:  No talk about future software (other than podcasting) or OS X 10.5 :cry:

586027435[/snapback]

He did mention the name for the next version. It hasn't even begun beta testing, so I would expect more information about it at the next big event, or even WWDC '06.

All these pathetic "Tiger/Leopard vs Longhorn" is kinda' pathetic (talk about the years in between them).

Anyways, has anyone got a link to download the streamed keynote. I remember that someone posted a link to download the previous one, and was wondering if anyone has the current one?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.

Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" <-- Is this the official codename?

All these pathetic "Tiger/Leopard vs Longhorn" is kinda' pathetic (talk about the years in between them).

Well, if Apple keeps to their current development cycle, Leopard will be released around the same time as the current estimates for Longhorn, so it makes sense to compare the two.

Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" <-- Is this the official codename?

586029740[/snapback]

According to what Jobs said yesterday, yes, that is the name of the next version.

Well that's fair enough, as long as both OS's are launched around the same time, a fair comparison can be made.

Obviously the results are:

- Windows fanboys/girls will stick to Windows

- Mac fanboys/girls will stick to Mac

Well that's fair enough, as long as both OS's are launched around the same time, a fair comparison can be made.

Obviously the results are:

- Windows fanboys/girls will stick to Windows

- Mac fanboys/girls will stick to Mac

586029767[/snapback]

Have you bothered to even watch the WWDC or even read the rest of this thread?

It's not quite that simple anymore...when you consider that Apple can get their money from you buying their hardware, and Microsoft can get their money from you turning around and setting up a dual-boot setup on that new Apple you just bought.

There are no losers, unless you like dinking around with hardware. Judging from your avatar, I'd guess thats the case.

There are many, many more competent x86 programmers out there than there are PPC programmers and a LOT of people out there who will stop at nothing to get OSX running on as many PCs as possible.

I have foreseen it, along with my own Linux / XP64 / OSX triple-boot configured rig sitting in my home.

Lastly, I wish I could see the look on the faces of all the pompous Apple fanboys who loudly and arrogantly proclaimed that a switch to x86 would never happen.  Big-endian, Little-endian, Altivec, RISC, CISC... NONSENSE the lot of it.  You may all now come back down to earth and enjoy the benefits of living in the real world once you've finished dabbing up the crumbs of humble-pie off your Intel branded mousemats.

I just hope Steve Jobs builds a sufficient delay into his road map to allow Mac users time to adjust to using so many extra fingers on their mice.  :)

586029453[/snapback]

Could not have said it better myself.

/karp