Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

Develpoer Kit includes 3.6GHz Pentium 4. OS X 10.4.1 for Intel (preview release). Order today; available in two weeks. [10:48 am]

586025040[/snapback]

sweet so only about a month max untill i can download a copy :D

Sell it all.  They are going down the tubes.

586025096[/snapback]

I agree this is not the steve jobs vision he had years ago. Im not a mac user but he has effectivly sold out the fans he single handedly created. Now what is a mac. there is no such thing. This isnt thinking different, its grabbing your ankles ans biting your lip. :yes: It might be good for apple in the long strech but that still doesnt deny that they sold out their fans. :pinch:

sweet so only about a month max untill i can download a copy :D

I agree this is not the steve jobs vision he had years ago. Im not a mac user but he has effectivly sold out the fans he single handedly created. Now what is a mac. there is no such thing. This isnt thinking different, its grabbing your ankles ans biting your lip.  :yes:  It might be good for apple in the long strech but that still doesnt deny that they sold out their fans.  :pinch:

586025593[/snapback]

So you're saying it's the processor that causes the different experience, not the OS? I'd say a mac is a piece of hardware created by apple running a Mac OS, which is what these machines will remain.

LOL that is funny, we get to use Windows with GOOD performance on Mac's, as well as Mac OS X. Sounds perfect to me. Props to Apple, I don't care what harware is in my box, as long as it performs and allows me to run Mac OS X.

10:25 am Apple is going to Intel chips officially. "We've been through many transistions. 680x0 to PowerPC, Mac OS 9 to Mac OS X. Today we begin a third transition. It's true; We are switching to Intel."

10:25:20 am: John C Dvorak runs outside, throws his hands into the air and proclaims, "I told you all so years ago!"

10:25:30 am:His ego gets so big his head explodes into a million chunks. :devil:

allow me to dream a bit:

- Apple locks down OS X to certain chipsets/machines it builds.

- I'd buy one of those, if they won't stick a knife in me.

- Microsoft, seeing the popularity of those machines, makes drivers to support the custom hardware (mobo/video card, etc)

- This allows people to buy Apple machines, use OS X AND still buy Windows and use Windows on the same machine.

- Apple gains a lot... Microsoft doesn't gain that much, but then again, doesn't lose that much.

I think it's a shallow view, but kind of a Win/Win situation. (no pun intented)

586025548[/snapback]

As of right now, that's what the case appears to be. OSX will only run on Macs, but being that the Macs will use an x86 Intel chip, you can also install Windows, assuming there are Windows drivers for the hardware used in the Mac.

I'd buy an Intel-Mac in a heartbeat if I can run OSX and Windows on it w/o emulation. Think about it. Windows for gaming, OSX for productivity.

LOL that is funny, we get to use Windows with GOOD performance on Mac's, as well as Mac OS X. Sounds perfect to me. Props to Apple, I don't care what harware is in my box, as long as it performs and allows me to run Mac OS X.

586025617[/snapback]

There we go, a Mac'ian with the right attitude (Y)

Quite frankly, I'd be worried about Apple in the mean time though. Sales of existing Apple products will surely be cannibalised before the new x86-line is introduced, the only question is by how much and if Apple can weather it.

About the issue of Apple locking down Mac OS X to certain sets of hardware, I'd suspect the major difference would primarily be the use of OpenBIOS or the like, which could be eventually worked around. Certainly, with the software written for x86, you could virtualise it with minimal speed loss (e.g. VMWare).

As of right now, that's what the case appears to be.  OSX will only run on Macs, but being that the Macs will use an x86 Intel chip, you can also install Windows, assuming there are Windows drivers for the hardware used in the Mac.

I'd buy an Intel-Mac in a heartbeat if I can run OSX and Windows on it w/o emulation.  Think about it.  Windows for gaming, OSX for productivity.

586025664[/snapback]

If apple uses hardware that is standard...Windows ships with drivers by default.

So how would that work I wonder? I mean does the Mac bootloader actually 'see other OS's installed? My guess is you would probably have to install Winndows first, then maybe linux, the OS X... But like I said can the OS X bootloader handle multiple OS'?

GJ

So you're saying it's the processor that causes the different experience, not the OS? I'd say a mac is a piece of hardware created by apple running a Mac OS, which is what these machines will remain.

586025612[/snapback]

read your history books, watch a movie and you understand what apple was all about when steve originally thought it up years go. and when he made the mac. this isnt the same vision he had. hes sold out the people who truely were fans. Its much more then just using an intel processor, its about the fact that its not different anymore and you effectivly wont be buying a mac, simply because one does not exsist after the changes take place. its a pc with a mac case and mac software. That is the undeniable truth and the true hardcore fans know this and are discusted and sold out.

read your history books, watch a movie and you understand what apple was all about when steve originally thought it up years go. and when he made the mac. this isnt the same vision he had. hes sold out the people who truely were fans. Its much more then just using an intel processor, its about the fact that its not different anymore and you effectivly wont be buying a mac, simply because one does not exsist after the changes take place. its a pc with a mac case and mac software. That is the undeniable truth and the true hardcore fans know this and are discusted and sold out.

586025766[/snapback]

Whoops, I bet he didn't know trying to expand a business would offend you so much. Next time he will come to you for advice.

ok lets discuss about the dev kit P4, and P4 Tiger. now it is more possible that the P4 Tiger leaks - what are the possibilities to get on the regular PC? I?m sure many would start trying hardware hacks to get it work. And if it would be possible to get Tiger work on regular PC - what would happen to Windows? :alien::

586025766[/snapback]

WHAT?!?!? People don't care what's inside. Once you boot it up, you won't even know what processor is running. It's still a Macintosh

Who buys a Mac for the hardware anyway?

WHAT?!?!?  People don't care what's inside.  Once you boot it up, you won't even know what processor is running.  It's still a Macintosh

586025836[/snapback]

I bought my iBook for hardware. I certainly prefer Windows XP over OS X (I have my own reasons). But whatever processor runs a Mac doesn't matter to me. Apple is known for good quality and as long as they maintain it, I don't mind.

Its only fanboys who are in complete denial of "intel inside" :blush:

I don't think some of you realize how easily it will be to get Mac OS X running on a normal PC. Yeah, Intel Macs will probably use OpenFirmware, but Apple is currently and will probably continue to maintain Darwin for normal x86. It should be pretty easy to get the rest of OS X running on top of a Darwin base that already works fine on normal PCs. Even if Apple stops maintaining a PC version of Darwin, it's open source so anyone could do the porting. Of course I'm assuming that Darwin + the rest of Mac OS X and normal Mac OS X are binary compatible on the same platform.

Edit:

mmmm, sorry i meant pentium M celeron

586025422[/snapback]

No, that's not it either. The budget version of the Pentium M is called the Celeron M.

WHAT?!?!?  People don't care what's inside.  Once you boot it up, you won't even know what processor is running.  It's still a Macintosh

586025836[/snapback]

No one since this shift still has Apple with a monopoly over the hardware running OSX.

I guess (my own guess) apple's pentium 4 will have different pin than normal intel pentiums. and the pentium was given to developer will be those specilised cpus

WHAT?!?!?? People don't care what's inside.? Once you boot it up, you won't even know what processor is running.? It's still a Macintosh

586025836[/snapback]

well the people spending close to $2000 on a powemac or powerbook certianly are considering more then just the os:laugh:gh: honestly unless your rich your not going to consider just the os and not care abouyt the hardware. also it is NOT a mac. its a pc with a mac case mac has officialy died today. half of the mac fandom was about being different which from this point on is never going to be.

Its really just a "ibm-compatable" (as the term goes) pc with a apple computer co. case, and an apple os, with the inability to run normal x86 dos-pc software.

also to the guy who said theres a lot of mac fans talking about trashing their ibooks i would be p**ed too if i owned a mac now your support is slowly going to go down the toilet as apple concentrates on the newer machines.