Official WWDC 2005 Keynote Discussion

haha...Apple sold out?.....if you would stick that onto Apple, than you should have sticked that on since when Apple got together with IBM...

read your history books, watch a movie and you'd understand IBM was the company that squeezed Apple off the market in the beginning with the introduction of "industry-standered" PCs....don't even start that man..it won't work

Xcode Tools 2.1 is available for download.

@divertom - I paid a good price for my powerbook, and i'm not the least bit fazed by Apple moving to Intel. I still think Apple will have better quality in their hardware than do other PC manufacturers. I didn't buy my powerbook because of what processor it has. I bought it for the features(wireless, firewire, etc) and that it was comparable to any Intel-based laptop, but it had OS X. The OS was the differentiator for me, not the processor.

@hanxu - The processor will more than likely be the same as everyother Intel processor. Intel would have to make a new fab for a new pinout, and that would lower volume, which is one piece of why Apple is going to Intel.

hehe....I don't think any of us say this one coming...

Change is good...but this....this is....different...

586025355[/snapback]

Think Different :D

I always thought Apple's "think different" saying was silly when everyone on that platform was using the same hardware, same look, same everything. Where in the PC world people were building their own rigs independently and customizing them with thousands of different types of hardware. In my mind that was less uniform and more along the lines of thinking differently. Being independent.

I think this is great. So long as you can run OSX on non Apple machines like the AMD I have sitting in front of me. If that's the case Apple is going to make a killing. I've got friends who dislike macs (only because they think they're pretentious) but they'd even drop $100 on OSX if they didn't have to buy new hardware. I would in a heartbeat.

Hopefully Apple is smart and doesn't lock the OS to only their x86 hardware. If they go head to head with Windows we all win, including people who only use windows cause it wil just get better to compete.

I guess (my own guess) apple's pentium 4 will have different pin than normal intel pentiums. and the pentium was given to developer will be those specilised cpus

586025917[/snapback]

Possible, but I doubt it. The whole idea for them is to have economy of scale, hence cheaper price. Having a custom job defeats this.

Anyways, if this was the protection to prevent OSx from running on a normal PC, god help them. There are convertors now that allow Pent M to be installed on the older intel desktop mobo's. I'm pretty sure the same would happen with this chip if your guess were true.

@hanxu - The processor will more than likely be the same as everyother Intel processor. Intel would have to make a new fab for a new pinout, and that would lower volume, which is one piece of why Apple is going to Intel.

586025994[/snapback]

Yes, then ppl can just open up the powermac box and upgrade cpu themselves....

This will rock if Transgaming Releases Cedega ( formally WineX ) for OSX/Intel. Us mac owners will be able to play Windows Games in OSX :devil:

One good thing about this from a Neowinian "Point of View" is that we wont have threads like "How does Apple MHz compare with Intel MHz" anymore :D

586026038[/snapback]

lol yea good for the new switchers :huh:

now we need (ppc users) some sort of comparing :ninja:

i am crying on the inside right now... i know this means that apple will most likely get bigger but thats the thing. i liked being part of a small community. it was like fighting the man, lol. but oh well as long as they dont short us using ppc macs in support and such then im okay.

Yeah, Intel Macs will probably use OpenFirmware... (snip.)

586025866[/snapback]

Um, no. There's no OpenFirmware in the intel macs. My guess is that they're make something new for the new macs (not the regular BIOS)

Source. Universal Binary Programming Guidelines, page 47

Macintosh computers using Intel microprocessors do not use Open Firmware. Although many parts of the IO registry are present and work as expected, information that is provided by Open Firmware on a Macintosh using a PowerPC microprocessor (such as a complete device tree) is not available in the IO registry on a Macintosh using an Intel microprocessor. You can obtain some of the information from IODeviceTree by using the sysctlbyname or sysctl commands.

WHAT?!?!?? People don't care what's inside.? Once you boot it up, you won't even know what processor is running.? It's still a Macintosh

Who buys a Mac for the hardware anyway?

586025836[/snapback]

Two and a half years ago I bought an iBook for OS X, but now I am going to be buying an iMac because of how good the hardware is. I dont know if you work around PCs, but they are so cheap and ugly these days I cant stand it.

I could do everything I want on linux and a cheap PC, but I prefer macs for their quality hardware and software integration.

Two and a half years ago I bought an iBook for OS X, but now I am going to be buying an iMac because of how good the hardware is. I dont know if you work around PCs, but they are so cheap and ugly these days I cant stand it.

I could do everything I want on linux and a cheap PC, but I prefer macs for their quality hardware and software integration.

586026196[/snapback]

Their hardware is mostly the same under the hood save the processor,and with that about to change, you cant really say that anymore.

Since when was cheap a bad thing?

586026196[/snapback]

i would say it depends how much you spend on a pc, hardware quality wize, and i would also say that you could buy a better quality pc for the same price that you could buy a dual g5 or what ever. IMhumbleO

586026196[/snapback]

What's saying that'll change now?

They'll just provide custom Intel-based solutions now instead, of course with good integration. That'll stay as long as Apple distribute both the hardware and software.

You rebel.  :rolleyes:

586026166[/snapback]

hehe, i know i know, the thing i worry about the most is getting a new powerbook in the future and having a damn intel sticker on it. then apple has lost its appeal to me, its just llike the others out there. but as someone said, if they continue to control the hardware, then hopfully it will be a custom processor and nothing u can replace and such. i will say though, it will be nice to play games on a mac now (if its going to be possible or easier with the arch. switch)

hehe, i know i know, the thing i worry about the most is getting a new powerbook in the future and having a damn intel sticker on it.  then apple has lost its appeal to me, its just llike the others out there.  but as someone said, if they continue to control the hardware, then hopfully it will be a custom processor and nothing u can replace and such.  i will say though, it will be nice to play games on a mac now (if its going to be possible or easier with the arch. switch)

586026250[/snapback]

There wont be an "Intel Inside" sticker on Intel based Macs. ;)

586026196[/snapback]

umm aside from their powerpc processors and shiny outter casing everything in a mac you could get in the PC world. infact i personally feel that aside from the G5 processors those same components you can get in the PC world, are lower end components. the only reason (i feel) that OSX runs so smooth on this lower powered hardware is because of both optimization of mac software to work on these components and the fact that there are very few things u can customize inside a mac and thus most of the different 'packages' are the same under the hood.

well the people spending close to $2000 on a powemac or powerbook certianly are considering more then just the os.  :laugh: honestly unless your rich your not going to consider just the os and not care abouyt the hardware. also it is NOT a mac. its a pc with a mac case mac has officialy died today. half of the mac fandom was about being different which from this point on is never going to be.

Its really just a "ibm-compatable" (as the term goes) pc with a apple computer co. case, and an apple os, with the inability to run normal x86 dos-pc software.

also to the guy who said theres a lot of mac fans talking about trashing their ibooks i would be p**ed too if i owned a mac now your support is slowly going to go down the toilet as apple concentrates on the newer machines.

586025908[/snapback]

First, Macintosh is a brand, not an idea. If it's a computer and Apple sells it...it's a Macintosh.

And yes...they buy 2000 dollars worth of hardware for the OS. There's a reason they don't spend that on a Dell. They have essentially the same parts. it's certainly not for the performance. We've known for some time that a highend Mac cannot keep up with a highend Dell/HP. Your looking way too much into this

586026196[/snapback]

So you bought the iMac for the appearance...not the parts inside. Because the hardware is the exact same. Processor, ram, hd, cards