Opera named PC World best browser or not?

opera lies about being named pc world best browser

Opera Software seems to have decided that it's easier lie that to win. Here's the chain of events as best as I can tell.

PC World announced their 100 Best Products of 2005.

Firefox not only won the coveted Product of the Year award, sweeping all 99 other products in the list, but it beat out two other browsers, Maxthon at number 12 and Opera way down at number 88.

Opera puts out a press release claiming "A Winning Streak: Opera once again wins PC World's World Class Award for best Web browser". Opera.com then places this same thing on their front page (see the third checkbox with the claim that they've won best browser in '05.)

Conclusion: Opera is simply lying. They were one of 100 products to be labeled as "World Class" but they did not win any "best Web browser" anything. They were last in the ranking of three web browsers. They got beat by both Maxthon and Firefox.

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/008289.html

It clearly says received best browser award in 05 on the Opera homepage. If its a mistake on their part its a pretty big, and stupid, one. If its deliberate, then shame on them. I'm a Firefox user but still respected Opera as a browser and a company.

There was a seperate "web browser award," and it won. You're talking about the "Best product award."

You, and that source, are << removed >>.

Edited by markjensen

There was a seperate "web browser award," and it won.  You're talking about the "Best product award."

You, and that source, are << removed >>.

586033379[/snapback]

You have a link or anything? Not saying you're wrong, but I don't subscribe to PC World and I don't wanna buy it to check it out. I see that they won in 2004, it's right here but I can't find anything for '05 yet.

Edited by markjensen

I don't really care for Opera, and sure they lied. I guess they did it to get a few thousand more subscriptions to their software.

I never believed opera was the best. *grin*

A few weeks ago when this came out, I saw that opera had won, on all the major news sites even on neowin's front page, but nothing about firefox. It struck me as odd, because I read through the article and didn't see anything about opera. Firefox was at the top.

Yea, the black power ranger is really ghey. So ghey that the ranger alone stopped me from switching. I'll stick with IE.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...763,pg,6,00.asp

This year rather than listing "best so and so, best this, best that", they have them under categories.

The 100 Best Products of 2005

Web

A9.com

SEARCH ENGINE (Free) Amazon's clever A9 search engine and toolbar starts with Google results. But it does Google one better with features like auto-syncing bookmarks, a search history, and amazing photo-based Yellow Pages. Download

Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router and Notebook Network Card

WIRELESS NETWORKING (Router $160, network card $110) They offer dramatically faster speeds and better range than their 802.11g predecessors. Review

Cerulean Studios Trillian 3.1 Cerulean Studios Trillian 3.1

INSTANT MESSENGER (Free) A universal client, Trillian works with AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, and other IM networks. Version 3 adds audio and video chat, plus links to the Wikipedia online encyclopedia. Review | Download

Flickr.com Flickr.com

PHOTOGRAPHY SITE (Free) Post snapshots or rummage through other people's collections. Review

Google

SEARCH ENGINE (Free) The king of search continues to introduce important innovations--such as Google Maps, Google Answers, and Google Scholar--while maintaining a clean interface. Review

Google Gmail Google Gmail

WEB MAIL (Free) Fast, simple, and with 2GB of storage, it has the elements of a paid service, delivering messages sans pesky graphical ads. Review

Internet Archive (Archive.org)

WEB SITE (Free) Who says you can't fit the entire Web under one domain? Well, maybe not the whole Web, but enough of it to keep any browser busy for a couple of lifetimes. Review

Mozilla Thunderbird

E-MAIL PROGRAM (Free) This client gives you useful features such as fast search capability and an RSS reader. It's great at blocking spam, too. Review | Download

Mysoft Technology Maxthon

BROWSER PLUG-IN (Free) Add oomph to Internet Explorer: Jump between pages in a tabbed interface, block ads, and pick from 300 skins. Review | Download

Netgear 54 Mbps Cable/DSL Wireless Travel Router Model WGR101

TRAVEL ROUTER ($80) Give yourself the freedom to wander about 30 feet from an ethernet jack and to create your own secure Wi-Fi network. Review | Latest Prices

The New York Times on the Web

WEB SITE (Free) NYTimes.com serves up great content, a clear layout, and interactive features. Company Web Site

OnlyMyEmail Pro OnlyMyEmail Pro

SPAM FILTER ($3 a month) Service filters spam from up to three e-mail accounts. In our tests it caught more than 99 percent of unsolicited mail. Review

Opera 8

WEB BROWSER (Free) Find Firefox too austere? Opera is an attractive, feature-rich alternative. Review

Qnext

INSTANT MESSENGER (Free) Not only does Qnext bring all your IM services together, it puts file sharing, photo sharing, music streaming, and games into the same interface. Review | Download

SightSpeed

VIDEO INSTANT MESSENGER ($5 a month, $50 a year) Its lip sync is unbeatable on one-to-one calls, and it's above average on multiparty calls. Review | Download

Six Apart TypePad Six Apart TypePad

BLOGGING TOOL ($5 a month, $50 a year) Though tools such as Blogger are free, bountiful features (including options for making blogs public or private), slick templates, and customization options make TypePad a smart investment. Company Web Site

Skype Skype

VOIP SERVICE (Free) PC-to-PC phone calls have never sounded so good--plus, it's easy to set up. Review

Vonage

VOIP SERVICE (Starts at $15 per month) Vonage stands out for its dependable service and first-rate call quality. Plus, the company has plans to roll out enhanced 911 (E-911) soon. Review

Wikipedia

ONLINE RESOURCE (Free) Constantly updated and self-policed, this collaborative online encyclopedia offers insight into almost everything. Review

They didn't lie, people just don't check their facts before posting crap like that

Edited by Acezo

Does it matter if they lied? Opera is still a stable product. I mean how does claiming that their browser being named pc world's best browser make the product any better?

Opera is listed on page 6, the Web catagory, and Firefox is not because Firefox is in its OWN catagory of Product of the Year. And Firefox is still listed as number 1 on the 1 to 100 list and Opera is still number 88, so how did it win best browser.

Well, i'm an Opera fan, so maybe i'm biassed, but i think this is pretty logical thinking: If Opera really lied about it, why didn't PC World call them on it? Opera announced in a global press release almost a week ago that they won the World Class Award. If it was a lie, why didn't somebody say something? Why would everybody be like, whatever, who cares, and wait for some Firefox guy to break the 'story'? Moreover, why would Opera go and release that global press release (and update the front page of their Web site to match) if it was a lie? I find it hard to believe that they would make such a huge deal out of it and expect nobody to ever find out about it.

But... i don't follow awards. I honestly couldn't care less what some random magazine thinks of the software i use (or don't use), so it doesn't really matter to me either way. I'm not so pro-Opera that i would never ever suspect that they could do something like this, but i don't see why they would, and even if they did i don't see why nobody picked up on it earlier.

they didn't lie, Opera won the best browser award from that magazine. The thing is, the importance of that award is heavily questionable since a competing browser won the best product.

I have tried both, bot are great, but I prefer FF because it's open source.

I like Opera, better than Firefox in some respects, but I think that this might be just a case where they overstated the meaning of their "award" to make themselves sound special.

I think "lying" isn't quite accurate. Maybe just a little exaggeration.

Edited by Gnome