Opera named PC World best browser or not?

Well, I think there is no point arguing if Opera won the thing or not. The only thing is that if you believe it. Why don't we just stop arguing and let people think themselves, or wait until someone gets OFFICIAL RESPONSE from PCWorld. :p

Well, I think there is no point arguing if Opera won the thing or not. The only thing is that if you believe it. Why don't we just stop arguing and let people think themselves, or wait until someone gets OFFICIAL RESPONSE from PCWorld. :p

586033608[/snapback]

Well, Acezo posted the page from PCWorld and Opera won the best browser award.

This stupid thread is only beaten by the many stupid replies.

WHY they picked that one when Firefox won best product is a completely different question, but they did and that's how it is, and Opera isn't lying. Let's let this thread die now. :)

Opera being in the Web catagory does not mean it won an award.

Before you say anything to that look at this.

Office Software

2BrightSparks SyncBackSE

UTILITY ($15) It backs up, restores, and synchronizes files--even when they're locked or open--to multiple locations such as networked drives. Review | Download

Apple Mac OS X Version 10.4 (Tiger) Apple Mac OS X Version 10.4 (Tiger)

OPERATING SYSTEM ($129) Tiger's big new addition--to what was already a well-engineered Mac operating system--is Spotlight, a speedy, well-integrated tool for searching your hard drive. And it's the best-looking OS around. In other words, Mac fans are already enjoying the cool features that Windows won't deliver until late 2006. Review

Best Software Simply Accounting

ACCOUNTING AND PERSONAL FINANCE ($50 for Basic, $300 for Pro) Software offers headroom to satisfy businesses with complex requirements. Review | Latest Prices

Copernic Desktop Search

DESKTOP SEARCH SOFTWARE (Free) Although this utility isn't quite as efficient as Google Desktop Search, search geeks may prefer it. Copernic can hunt for files by size or by date and can store its index file in the location of your choice. Review | Download

FileMaker Pro 7 FileMaker Pro 7

DATABASE ($299) This version adds a relational capability that makes the app even more useful. Review | Latest Prices

Google Desktop Search

DESKTOP SEARCH TOOL (Free) It does a speedy job of retrieving the results you want, but it could use a better way of paring down your results. Review | Download

Ubuntu Linux 5.04 Ubuntu Linux 5.04

LINUX DISTRIBUTION (Free) With a bit of tinkering, you end up with the slickest Linux around. Review

Webroot Window Washer 5.5

UTILITY ($30) It wipes out file histories, browser cookies, cache contents, and other remnants. Review | Download

Theres two Utility programs in that catagory, does that mean they BOTH won best utility ?

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,a...763,pg,6,00.asp

This year rather than listing "best so and so, best this, best that", they have them under categories.

They didn't lie, people just don't check their facts before posting crap like that

586033445[/snapback]

Well, they didnt win "best browser" Firefox sorta did, followed by Maxthon.

as much as i like Opera, i cant stand it when people/companies lie (includes Mozilla Foundation as well)

Opera being in the Web catagory does not mean it won an award.

Before you say anything to that look at this.

Theres two Utility programs in that catagory, does that mean they BOTH won best utility ?

586033637[/snapback]

All those listings are just the Top 100 presented in a different way. Which is the point I was trying to get across in my graphic juxtaposition.

Yea, the black power ranger is really ghey. So ghey that the ranger alone stopped me from switching. I'll stick with IE.

586033432[/snapback]

ROFL yea same here (except i'll stick with FF :p). saw the stupid black ranger and didn't bother looking any further.

who wants a web browser that has a black ranger on their site?

If i found out Opera was a million times better then FF and had stupid pink bunnies all over their website I wouldn't bother.

FF > Opera > IE :)

I'm just happy about MAXTHON GETTING 12TH! WHOOO HOOOOO!

586033650[/snapback]

Haha same here :) Maxthon User.

I do keep Opera so I can surf WAP sites.

Can Firefox surf WAP sites?

The term 'product' characterises an economic good.

Best product = most successful in winning increased market share.

Best browser = best browser

(like for instance Microsoft's OS's are better products than Apple or Linux etc OS's, but as to which are the better OS's, that's arguable)

I think that this may be the result of an innocent misunderstanding, and if it is, the fault belongs to both PC World and Opera. PC World decided to list everything by category, and one product can only fit into one category. With the highest honor bestowed upon it, "product of the year" is a category all by its own, hence excluded from all other categories. On the "Web" category page, Opera is the ONLY one listed with subcategory "browser." Maxthon is there too, but its subcategory is "BROWSER PLUG-IN." Hence I can see Opera getting the misinformation that since they are the only "browser" named, they got the browser of the year award. This was confusing as heck to me when I read it first - because I automatically expected them to rate a "best product" in each category. I know, assumptions are always dangerous.

Nonetheless, Opera deserves quite a bit of the blame if this was the case. A close reading of that page reveals the "Web" page is a category list - and the items are listed in ALPHABETICAL ORDER. Take a look and you will see at least three things with the subcategory "web site". Obviously, there cannot be three "best" web sites. There are two with the subcategory "VOIP service". Hence, Opera's people should have been professional to figure out that not only did they not win the "Best Browser" award, but that that award simply does not exist.

Of course, Asa may be right that Opera is simply flat-out lying. I am just not ready to jump to that conclusion yet, but the fact that they don't provide a link to their "award" in their press release is rather suspecious.

In the following pages you'll find our top picks grouped by category (for example, Security on page 4 and Digital Photography on page 8), as well as in ranked order from 1 to 100 on page 12. Here, we begin with our Product of the Year.586033927[/snapback]

The categories they are referring to are:

Product of the Year

PCs and Peripherals

Monitors and TVs

Office Software

Digital Photography

Security

Printing and Publishing

Storage and Backup

Mobile Tools

Web

Consumer Electronics

As someone else wrote:

"Yes, one of the categories was WEB, and as a "WEB BROWSER" Opera was the only one.

What I have demonstrated now is that there is clearly room for (mis)interpretation.

Asa knew this when he blogged about it. Why did he automatically assume that Opera was lying, when clearly there was room for making mistakes? Because it was a cheap shot, and he couldn't resist the temptation.

In other words: He accused Opera of lying knowing full well that it was probably just a misunderstanding. Unlike Opera, Asa's blog post was not a misunderstanding, because his posting history about Opera clearly shows that he takes any opportunity to put it down.

So if Asa claimed that Opera lied, but he did the same thing himself, what does that make Asa?"

Edited by worbd