Opera named PC World best browser or not?

Proof please! Still waiting... :sleep:

586038863[/snapback]

Umm that did happen, there was no lie there. Microsft had been using the user agent string of lots of browsers to make thier sites look better in IE than the competitors.

Whether you believe Microsoft did it to intentionally make Opera look retarded, or they just did it out of ignorance, either way that doesn't put MS in a good light. In my opinion MS must have done it malicously because to make another version of the page just for Opera that was buggered, while Opera could actually render the standard version just fine, is a level of incompetence I don't want to believe Microsoft posseses.

Whether you believe Microsoft did it to intentionally make Opera look retarded, or they just did it out of ignorance, either way that doesn't put MS in a good light.  In my opinion MS must have done it malicously because to make another version of the page just for Opera that was buggered, while Opera could actually render the standard version just fine, is a level of incompetence I don't want to believe Microsoft posseses.

586039205[/snapback]

NO. Reread what the guy originally said. He accused OPERA of lying, NOT microsoft.

Hehe, Rogue` the Firefox fan... Opera is actually the fastest browser ;)

What does making a mistake have to do with business ethics? You are listening to Asa, who is known to twist the truth to suit his agenda. He lies about Opera lying.

It was a simple mistake, as explained a thousand times by now.

586034398[/snapback]

You guys are unbelievable, of course it's an honest mistake when Opera does it.. it's only lying and marketing tricks when it's done by the MoFo.

You really should at least have the balls to admid that Opera was wrong.

Edit: Disclaimer: Sorry if I remember wrong (the above post was made in assumption that you are one of the fan boys that were spouting how much they hate MoFo because they LIE! in the Firefox vs. Opera 100 page thread).

Edited by Elendil

Opera WAS wrong, and it WAS a mistake.

It was unlikely intentional, and did not hurt anyone but themselves.

In the case of Mozilla, they have lied about OTHER products more than once.

NO.  Reread what the guy originally said.  He accused OPERA of lying, NOT microsoft.

586039899[/snapback]

Yes he accused Opera of lying about the MSN thing, which really happened.

First off, if you think they did this on purpose, you're kind of silly. When you lie, you make sure it's hard to disprove, not disgustingly easy.

That said, here is where Opera was named the best Web Browser of 2004. That link is direct from PC World. There can be no doubt. It says "Best of 2004" at the top of the page, and it's shown under the "Web Browser" category. That's why they say they're the best Web Browser of 2004.

In 2005, while Firefox was named the best overall product, Opera was named the best web browser. That's from here. If you can't see how that's confusing and insist that Opera was purposely lying... well, your phanboi is showing.

This post pretty much clarifies and condenses everything that's been said; it's a shame everyone will ignore it while typing up their diatribes.

Yes he accused Opera of lying about the MSN thing, which really happened.

586040139[/snapback]

Again, I ask for proof of such thing. You originally made it seem like MICROSOFT lied and not Opera.

Are you referring to "Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely and more efficiently than with any other browser"? (source) :D

586039188[/snapback]

Well you got to lie a littlebit.... That's how you market a product. You don't say "Our product is second!".

One thing you don't do is advertise false claims/facts. Saying that your product "is the best" (in all the variations that you can find) is allowed. Saying "we're the best because we won an award" when that's false isn't.

so in conclusion, opera was wrong, firefox won the title of best product and best browser.

thread closed...for the love of god.

I would rather Firefox be slower and actually render my webpages correctly than use Opera.

Bunch of liers.

586040722[/snapback]

liers? What's it take to be a "lier"?

:whistle:

haha opera has recanted there statement as receiving the award for best browser. even changed there home page and made a comment on Asa's blog

WAS:

opera0xw.jpg

NOW:

opera-lied.jpg

586034904[/snapback]

LOL owned anyways everyone commit a mistake so not a big deal we all know that firefox and oepra are both great browsers now if ie won the best brwoser award then it would be a caos in this forum lol. :sleep:

so in conclusion, opera was wrong, firefox won the title of best product and best browser.

thread closed...for the love of god.

586040676[/snapback]

Firefox won best product not best web browser:

link

these is a diffrence, but it does sound strange, you think best product would also carry best browser, but no.

now i cant find anything on the PC world web site that says who is the best browser, the cloest is the the WEB list LINK

If opera lied about something like this Im sure PC World would have said something by now, so who knows. Email PC world and find out what up instead of running around posting like chickens who had their heads cut off.

and about the Opera guy swiming because Opera had a certain number of downloads...get over it, you think anyone would do it, if your mad cause he didnt plz back away from the computer and read a book until you can handel a joke and stop taking stuff so seriously.

It's hilarious how my post actually explained what happened but was ignored so that you all could say that Opera worships Satan and the makers of Firefox are, collectively, the reincarnation of Mother Teresa, Gandhi and Jesus rolled into one. :rolleyes:

PC World doesn't specifically name one product "Best" category x anymore--with the exception of "Best Product"*. All they did was list the Top 100, and then put the Top 100 into 11 different web pages under headings like "Web," "Storage and Backup," "Mobile Tools" etc. Firefox wasn't put on the "Web" page because they already listed it under another page, the "Best Product" page.

Web Browser

Mozilla Firefox

Opera

VOIP Service:

Vonage

Instant Messenger:

Qnext

Trillian

Portable Hard Drive:

Seagate USB 2.0 Pocket Drive

CMS 80GB USB 2.0 ABSplus Notebook Backup System

And so on.

So answer me, who won "Best VOIP" Service? Who won "Best Instant Messenger"? Who won "Best Porable Hard Drive." "Best Digital Camera?" You can only refer to the Top 100 and list what rank they were awarded.

* I did also notice one specifically for Best Accounting Software or something. Okay the name of the product is "Best Software's Simply Accounting," so it really isn't one. The company calls itself "Best Software." :rofl:

Edited by Fotix

The watchful eye of bloggers has once again stirred controversy. A press release issued by Opera Software claimed that Opera 8 won PC World's 2005 World Class Award for best Web browser only to be harshly refuted by the Mozilla Foundation's Asa Dotzler who is recognized as the Firefox and Thunderbird product manager.

The press release, which has since been corrected, prompted Dotzler to say with an acid pen, "Opera is simply lying. They were one of 100 products to be labeled as "World Class" but they did not win any "best Web browser" anything. They were last in the ranking of three web browsers. They got beat by both Maxthon and Firefox."

Dotzler also asserted browser bragging rights, stating that it was Firefox that had won the magazine's Product of the Year award. "Opera Software seems to have decided that it's easier to lie than to win," he said.

[...]

Read the whole story here:

http://www.betanews.com/article/Award_Clai...lash/1118436090

Boycott Opera now, I'm removing my cracked version of Opera 8.0 as of now !  :D  :woot:

586038559[/snapback]

I don't think opera cares if crackheads (read this way, not standard usage) use their product, anyway.

Opera did not win the best browser award and they did not intentionally lie about it either. Opera Software is packed with very intelligent people. If Opera Software wanted to promote their software by lying then I gaurantee that the lie wouldn't be shot down as quickly as this mistake was. They did receive a world class product award, so why would they intentionally lie about winning another award just to be shot down a week or two later and take the risk of hurting their public image? The answer: They wouldn't. It was an honest mistake, nothing more.

Asa Dotzler over-reacted to the situation. As a Firefox/Thunderbird product manager, I can understand that he would be a little upset over a mistake like this but publishing articles calling Opera Software liars is a bit extreme. After falsely accusing Opera Software of intentionally lying, we have not seen any apologies from him nor a mention of his reaction being a mistake. As someone who assumes himself to be taking the higher road of morality I expected Asa to at least mention that his claims were a mistake.

Just my opinion on the matter.

This one's not only been researched but discussed right into the ground.

Trolling makes the baby Jeebus cry.

Thread Closed

(by ninja monkeys!) :ninja: