I Switched to from Windows to OSX

I remember when I was in high school I told my computer teacher.

"I will never switch. Mac's suck its all about pc" :blush:

Guess I was wrong. But I really wanted one but since I couldn't aford a NEW mac I bought a use one =)

I got one on EBay . So I am hoping I get it by saterday if not I guess I'll wait till monday to play with it. I will no longer have a pc =( but o well. Once OSX is on the pc in a few years ill switch back. I wanted to know if I go out and buy the new Mac OS X 10.4 would it work on my machine? If not what would be the BEST! system to have on it and run smooth! How much would another stick of 256 Ram would cost? And how would I go to formating a 80Gig HD I have? thanks for all the help!

Tiger will run on it...I did the same thing as you did last year I got a Blue & White with the same specs from eBay. I liked it so much that I sold it and got a new iMac G5.

You will not be able to run OSX on a PC computer in anytime soon. Although Apple switch to intel, it will not be open to use in any intel base system. Apple makes it's money off of it's hardware not there software which is why they will never get close to Microsoft market shared of computers.

I think a lot of people are going to be surprise with Longhorn when it's release next year. Many people didn't think Whisper will keep Microsoft on top when XP release because the beta version was not good at all. When the final version of Longhorn is release it will be as good as OSX or even better if Microsoft is lucky.

congrats on the switch... just made a change from XP to a nice 12" powerbook. Not to say I still dont use the windows machine for web design and such, but my primary machine has become the mac.

I remember when I was in high school I told my computer teacher.

"I will never switch. Mac's suck its all about pc" :blush:

Guess I was wrong. But I really wanted one but since I couldn't aford a NEW mac I bought a use one =)

I got one on EBay . So I am hoping I get it by saterday if not I guess I'll wait till monday to play with it. I will no longer have a pc =( but o well. Once OSX is on the pc in a few years ill switch back. I wanted to know if I go out and buy the new Mac OS X 10.4 would it work on my machine? If not what would be the BEST! system to have on it and run smooth! How much would another stick of 256 Ram would cost? And how would I go to formating a 80Gig HD I have? thanks for all the help!

586038586[/snapback]

This is a classic case of "methinks the lady doth protest too loudly"

Basically the biggest mac haters secretly want a mac but since they can't afford one they decide to hate it.

The rest of us just don't care.

I was recently in the same boat as you a few months ago I traded an old PC for a 350 G3 B&W to see if I wanted to buy a mini and I installed Tiger on it and it works great. I'd make sure to pump up the RAM and it'll be even better.

Both my G3 and mini both sit next to my PC and if you are looking for a KVM I'd suggest the IOGEAR mini one and don't use the audio plug.

I still use both machines equally, but I have found that most of my internet activity is done on the Mac.

And as far as reformatting a drive I can't remember if I actually did that through OSX or if I did it through this program.

I might do this, but I need to know something.

1. Will any monitor / keyboard work with that or does it have to be an apple one?

2. Can I stick any hard drive into it to replace the 9GB one?

I might do this, but I need to know something.

1. Will any monitor / keyboard work with that or does it have to be an apple one?

2. Can I stick any hard drive into it to replace the 9GB one?

586039806[/snapback]

I'm using a Microsoft keyboard and you use the Window key as the sqiggle lined Apple key, the IOGEAR KVM actually has a little key to what keys are what a non Apple keyboard.

I just mounted my extra hdd inside the case and use it as another drive although you could use the program I listed above to make a clone of your drive and then use that as your primary drive.

can't see me doing the same,

i've got a brilliant shuttle pc that does everything i need and a secondary machine gathering dust; may put linux on that one.

can't wait for longhorn, won't be buying whistler if i can help it.

(but by that time i might be running unix so who cares)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice. So it's probably worth it.

I dont mind spending 250 either. Maybe get a beaten up G4. lol

I was thinking of putting a HDD in it and installing tiger on it.

I hate to say it but your user experience on that machine is going to suuuuck.

First, 256 MB of RAM is a huge bottleneck. It will probably have an old, slow hard drive which will be used for paging all the time due to the low memory. And I doubt it is new enough to support hardware accelerated window and text rendering which makes for a slow GUI. A clean install of Tiger will probably use about a third of your hard drive.

I had already used some macs before I brought my ibook, I liked it so much I picked up a G4 quicksilver (which runs mighty fast :D ). Upgrading the videocard with a mac flashed 9600xt (coutesy of a reduced rom file from a strangedogs moderator), the card is here and Ill throw it in tomorrow.. next up a 1.8ghz upgrade and it'll more than probably last me through the transition period.

Congrats on the switch (Y)

Congrats on the switch if that's gonna make you happy. Macs aren't really any better or different than PC. It's more a feeling of belonging to a "special" group of people who are smaller in number when compared to the larger society.

I've never used osx so I hope its easy to use. I have some ram from a pc could I use that ram or would I have to buy special mac ram? Also I have a 80GB HD would that work on this matchine? Please help thanks for all the support guys. =)

Edit: the ram is PC2100 I think. I have a 512 Stick of ram. and another 256 Ram. Would that be ok? both from crucial. =) Thanks!

Edited by zerolimit

Congrats on the switch if that's gonna make you happy. Macs aren't really any better or different than PC. It's more a feeling of belonging to a "special" group of people who are smaller in number when compared to the larger society.

586040667[/snapback]

WTF hahaha,

Expose

CoreImage

Widgets

Spotlight

Drag & Drop installs

No Viruses/Spyware/Malware

Unix Base

All these things & 300+ other features just don't come into it at all I suppose? :laugh:

With Apple corps new direction, i wonder if we'll eventually be dual booting osx + xp/longhorn (as even the most pc/mac zealot would know, both have their positives and negatives.)

back to my question could I use any ram on this system? If so please advise wich one I need? Thanks! also I have a HD could I just add the 80Gig and format it on the system? boot on OSX?

So I switched too, and here is how I feel:

I miss Trillian and no other program comes close to fill its shoes

Safari's RSS is sweet, I started messing with it, and it makes getting the news a breeze!

iChat is aight, kind of crippled.

Spotlight is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Widgets are extremely useful

iCal and Address book are good

iPhoto rips picasa a new one for me

Mail is pretty good, easy to use.

Over all, I wouldn't recommend someone get a mac if they have a new computer, but I would if they need an upgrade.

Well I had a...

Amd Athlon 1900+

768 PC2100 Ram

80 GB HD

Windows XP Pro SP2

Will now have

G3 400mhz

256 Ram

10 GB HD

On one note: Will be adding a 80 Gig I just bought.

and want to add some ram. I have but no one seems to know if I can use any ram or it has to be special ram for macs. What speed also does it matter? Please let me know thanks!

ps.

Does FedEx work on saterday?

Edited by zerolimit

So I switched too, and here is how I feel:

I miss Trillian and no other program comes close to fill its shoes

Safari's RSS is sweet, I started messing with it, and it makes getting the news a breeze!

iChat is aight, kind of crippled.

Spotlight is the greatest thing since sliced bread

Widgets are extremely useful

iCal and Address book are good

iPhoto rips picasa a new one for me

Mail is pretty good, easy to use.

Over all, I wouldn't recommend someone get a mac if they have a new computer, but I would if they need an upgrade.

586045006[/snapback]

I bought a mini when they came out, and loved it so much I bought a powerbook 2 weeks ago. I found Adium is very close to trillian