I Switched to from Windows to OSX

also we were talking about mouse/keyboard. Well my mouse is usb but not my keyboard so i've been looking and dont have cash to kill right now so how about these keyboards....

586059131[/snapback]

You'd be better off picking up a PS/2 to USB adapter (cheaper at least).

edit: well, maybe not considering how cheap those keyboards are. Either one would work OK, personally I think the black & silver one would look better, but that's just my taste.

Honestly, don't expect a 400MHz G3 to go anywhere fast with OS X Tiger. I have a 500MHz G3 iMac (640MB RAM) that I fished out of a skip and it's pretty damn slow. Just about okay for basic web surfing and chatting, but forget about Photoshop or CD ripping through iTunes, or even vaguely fast Spotlight searches.

One of the great advantages of Spotlight is that it updates the search while you're still typing -- don't expect it to keep up on a 400MHz G3 though. You won't be getting any of the nifty Quartz or CoreImage effects either. The OS is great, but the speed makes it pretty frustrating to use.

Then again, my new Dual 2.7GHz PowerMac G5 absolutely flies and makes OS X a real pleasure to use. If the machine is used for anything more than just tinkering and trying out OS X, I'd suggest you go with a Mac mini at the least.

Honestly, don't expect a 400MHz G3 to go anywhere fast with OS X Tiger. I have a 500MHz G3 iMac (640MB RAM) that I fished out of a skip and it's pretty damn slow. Just about okay for basic web surfing and chatting, but forget about Photoshop or CD ripping through iTunes, or even vaguely fast Spotlight searches.

586060642[/snapback]

I used a 400Mhz G3 PowerBook for nearly a year with Panther, and it worked well (640MB of RAM as well). All accounts show that Tiger is even faster than Panther on the same hardware, so I have no doubt that it would work well too. I'm not saying it's going to be great for Photoshop, but it should be adequate for most other common tasks, given enough RAM.

Well I got my machine yesterday and runs sweet!

But no keyboard =(

how much would the adapter be? and were could I find it? Also when you do a clean install the user name is "Walt Disney" What the heck is that? and the password hint is "cat" should the password be "Tiger"?

Well I got my machine yesterday and runs sweet!

But no keyboard =(

how much would the adapter be? and were could I find it? Also when you do a clean install the user name is "Walt Disney" What the heck is that? and the password hint is "cat" should the password be "Tiger"?

586063056[/snapback]

One of those adapters will cost between $8 and $15 depending on where you get it. Most places online that sell parts and cables will have them. Search Google or eBay for "usb ps/2 adapter", it should usually have a USB plug at one end and two PS/2 sockets on the other end, and looks like a "Y" cable.

As for the other, I have no idea. Sounds like a hacked bootleg copy to me :pirate:, but I've never seen one like that.

do you ahve a link to the adapter? Fry's? CompUSA, BestBuy? Or a picture? I emailed the guy about the password so hope to get it today.

do you ahve a link to the adapter? Fry's? CompUSA, BestBuy? Or a picture? I emailed the guy about the password so hope to get it today.

586063299[/snapback]

Here are some at Tiger Direct (ignore the first 5, they are not what you want)

PS/2 to USB adapters at Tiger Direct

edit: actually #2 & #3 should work as well, since you are only looking to adapt your keyboard, not a keyboard and mouse. However, if you happen to have an old PS/2 mouse around as well, the Y-cable type will save you a port.

since I can't edit the other post ill just add another one.

Ok I got a 80GB HD =) how do I go abouts making a image of the current one. And formating the other one and adding it there? any ideas? =) Thanks for all your helps guys without you guys I would be stuck at home trying to fix all this =)

since I can't edit the other post ill just add another one.

Ok I got a 80GB HD =) how do I go abouts making a image of the current one. And formating the other one and adding it there? any ideas? =) Thanks for all your helps guys without you guys I would be stuck at home trying to fix all this =)

586064635[/snapback]

Disk Utility will allow you to make an image of a drive and restore it onto another one. You could also use Carbon Copy Cloner, but I'm not sure if it's been updated for Tiger yet.

were do i get these programs? =) thanks dude you rock!

586065126[/snapback]

Disk Utility is part of the OS (in Applications/Utilities). Carbon Copy Cloner you can Google for, but I checked and it hasn't been updated for Tiger yet.

It still works under Tiger, it just doesn't authenticate correctly. You can run it fine by typing sudo open "drag in CCC" and then typing your password.

586065775[/snapback]

Thanks for the clarification there. I had read that before but haven't tried it myself.

Got everything working woot woot!!!

The adapter didn't work! :(

so I had to buy a mac keyboard ($30) Everything is working added safari but I can't sem to do the OSX Update. Is there anyway I can download it manually? If so were? And it runs pretty quick ya a few slow downs on effects. But I will be adding more Ram this week or next :)

Safari is QUICCK!!! Also how would I go about formating the 80 GB HD? I know there is stuff in there. :) thanks for all the help mac family :)

Got everything working woot woot!!!

The adapter didn't work! :(

Sorry to hear that. I guess some do and some don't, depending on what chip is inside them. The one I have works perfectly.

so I had to buy a mac keyboard ($30) Everything is working added safari but I can't sem to do the OSX Update. Is there anyway I can download it manually? If so were?

You'll be better off with the Mac keyboard anyway, since you won't get confused with the different modifier keys. You can download system updates from the Apple Support web site (you'll have to dig around a little to find the right ones).

And it runs pretty quick ya a few slow downs on effects. But I will be adding more Ram this week or next :)

Safari is QUICCK!!! Also how would I go about formating the 80 GB HD? I know there is stuff in there. :) thanks for all the help mac family :)

586066938[/snapback]

You can format the drive in Disk Utility, which I mentioned earlier.

I am going to try that today. Hope it works. I want to take the 9GB drive and put it as a back up of the OS but no clue how to do any of this. Do I just add the other drive on to the G3? Then format it when the system is running? Then run the cloner and save it on the 80GB HD then mount it on? How does it work. Sorry but this is first time I've used a mac since I've been in high school (5 years ago) :blink:

I am going to try that today. Hope it works. I want to take the 9GB drive and put it as a back up of the OS but no clue how to do any of this. Do I just add the other drive on to the G3? Then format it when the system is running? Then run the cloner and save it on the 80GB HD then mount it on? How does it work. Sorry but this is first time I've used a mac since I've been in high school (5 years ago)  :blink:

586068708[/snapback]

Yep, you seem to have the idea. That should be the exact procedure you need to do.

Well got the updates up and working. Now to clone my drive. I should be able to do it tonight :) So hope it all works fine. Thanks for all your help guys. Will keep you guys updated with the clone. =)

well i'm glad that more and more people do the switch these days because of the iPod and mac mini and mac os x tiger...

I might do the switch somewhere in 2006 too. I'll be waiting for them to cut prices or something... otherwise I'm waiting for an x86 version of tiger that will work on my Athlon XP, but I can always dream :p

Meanwhile I'm actually very happy and proud of my iPod, it's a great and robust product

I love my G3. Even thought its slow from what others say. I love it! I hope to get something faster next year but for now im happy with this =) I found 128 Ram pc100 for $8.00 a stick. Buy 3 of thouse will make it 640 Ram so hopefully that will be a good boost!

I love my G3. Even thought its slow from what others say. I love it! I hope to get something faster next year but for now im happy with this =) I found 128 Ram pc100 for $8.00 a stick. Buy 3 of thouse will make it 640 Ram so hopefully that will be a good boost!

586074101[/snapback]

There are a few things you can do to speed that machine up. You can buy G3 or G4 processor upgrade cards up to about 1Ghz. You can also get an ATI Radeon 9200 for it. Of course, the more RAM the better. Also, don't forget to add a PCI USB 2.0 card.

Before someone says "just buy a Mac mini", remember that the Blue & White G3 is FAR more upgrade-friendly than the mini, and supports much larger and faster hard drives.

how much are the processors? are how easy/hard are they to install? I would really like to upgrade the Processor!

586074747[/snapback]

The processor is extremely easy to install. With the machine off and unplugged, simply pop open the side of your machine, remove the clip holding the heatsink on, lift the lever on the ZIF socket, remove the old CPU card, put the new one in, lower the ZIF lever, put the heatsink back on, and close the machine. Start up your new, faster machine.

The PowerLogix 1.0Ghz G3 is $219 at OtherWorld Computing, and they list several others as well.

G3 Blue & White upgrades @ OtherWorld Computing

I have the Daystar XLR8 MachSpeed 466 G4 in mine, overclocked to 600Mhz, and it is very stable. It runs 24/7 and stays cool with the original heatsink. It runs very well, and is certainly fast enough for most basic work. You can find those at Daystar G3 upgrades.