• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

I Switched to from Windows to OSX

zerolimit    8

Well I added the 80GB HD yesterday and it doesn't show up on OSX :( anyone have any ideas? I had to put it on another IDE cable because were the current drive is at doens't have a extra place to put a drive. So anyone may assist me here. Thank You!

raskren    0

Does the drive have power and spin up? Open Disk Utility and look for the drive. It is possible that it is just not being mounted at startup.

zerolimit    8

never thought of that. Thanks ill check it out when I get home. Im at work till 4pm :( its bearly 7:44am

Southern Patriot    941
never thought of that. Thanks ill check it out when I get home. Im at work till 4pm :( its bearly 7:44am

586078616[/snapback]

You can safely run the system while the side is open (I do it quite often when testing upgrades), so that should make checking the drive easier.

zerolimit    8

The drive is in so I dontk now why it doesn't show up below drive1. I hope its fixed tonight :)

Southern Patriot    941
The drive is in so I dontk now why it doesn't show up below drive1. I hope its fixed tonight :)

586078685[/snapback]

Post a screenshot of Disk Utility when you get home. Maybe if we see what you are seeing it might help some.

zerolimit    8

I'll do that when I get home.

How do I go about overclocking my cpu from 400mhz to maybe 500mhz? possible? or not? Let me know if it is and how.

Southern Patriot    941
I'll do that when I get home.

How do I go about overclocking my cpu from 400mhz to maybe 500mhz? possible? or not? Let me know if it is and how.

586079108[/snapback]

This article will show you: Overclock the G3 Blue & White

I did mine a little differently because the upgrade card I got had jumpers on it for the clock speed.

zerolimit    8

WOW! is there anyway I can do it easier? This is crazy stuff! Nothing easier?

zerolimit    8

How do I do a print screen on macs? lol sorry I dont know im at home and done see disk utilities :(

zerolimit    8

Ok its done. Drive two installed. Now making a carbon copy. Now how do I make it boot from Drive two? and how do I make the carbon copy? I just did it like whatever? I dont understand? Do I have to make it bootable? or NO? HELP PLEASE!

SergeantNoob    0
I remember when I was in high school I told my computer teacher.

"I will never switch. Mac's suck its all about pc" :blush:

Guess I was wrong. But I really wanted one but since I couldn't aford a NEW mac I bought a use one =)

I got one on EBay . So I am hoping I get it by saterday if not I guess I'll wait till monday to play with it. I will no longer have a pc =( but o well. Once OSX is on the pc in a few years ill switch back. I wanted to know if I go out and buy the new Mac OS X 10.4 would it work on my machine? If not what would be the BEST! system to have on it and run smooth! How much would another stick of 256 Ram would cost? And how would I go to formating a 80Gig HD I have? thanks for all the help!

586038586[/snapback]

Can I have your old Windows license? :shifty:

zerolimit    8

sold it for a 130$ sorry anyone know how to use carbon copy?

Elliott    235
How do I do a print screen on macs? lol sorry I dont know im at home and done see disk utilities :(

586081188[/snapback]

post-17580-1119059714.png

Southern Patriot    941
WOW! is there anyway I can do it easier?  This is crazy stuff! Nothing easier?

586079886[/snapback]

Changing some jumpers is "crazy stuff"? That's a fairly standard way of doing things on older machines.

Southern Patriot    941

586081188[/snapback]

Cmd (the key with the Apple logo)-shift-3 captures the screen to a pdf or jpg (depending on the version of OS X).

Southern Patriot    941
Ok its done. Drive two installed. Now making a carbon copy. Now how do I make it boot from Drive two? and how do I make the carbon copy? I just did it like whatever? I dont understand? Do I have to make it bootable? or NO? HELP PLEASE!

586081243[/snapback]

Once Carbon Copy Cloner is done, simply go into your System Preferences, go to Startup Disk, and select the new drive. Tell it to restart and you will be starting up from the new drive.

There's no easier way to put this: you are still thinking like a Windows user, thinking everything must be complicated. Apple makes things much easier to do.

flapjack1001    0

zerolimit, you will be glad that you tried out a mac. Don't go too nuts on upgrading. Save your money for an iMac G5. Get your machine up and running and use it. Once you live with your new machine for a while you'll want the new hardware. the iMac is a good compromise between the cheap, cutesy mini and the pricey and bulky Power Mac.

iMac G5

zerolimit    8

Thanks for all your helps guys. Also there is no other way to overclock the cpu? Software wise? In the link you gave me I have to buy something. No clue what I have to buy but something. Anyone know any other way to do it. Also were would I go about buying this wire I need. Thanks!

zerolimit    8

Quick question how do I go abouts changing the CD-Rom? I have been trying but its hard to remove! I have a extra cdrw drive but can't change them. I have a Philips JackRabbit (JR24CDRW) but no mac drivers :( someone help please!!!!

Southern Patriot    941
Quick question how do I go abouts changing the CD-Rom? I have been trying but its hard to remove! I have a extra cdrw drive but can't change them. I have a Philips JackRabbit (JR24CDRW) but no mac drivers :( someone help please!!!!

586086022[/snapback]

It is a little difficult to remove. There are some screws on the bottom of the drive, and you need to take the faceplate off of the machine (there are some tabs on the inside, near the top just inside the door).

You can probably get that drive working with an app called PatchBurn. You can Google for it. It will work as a basic drive without it, but that should allow you to burn with it with the built in programs.

Southern Patriot    941
Thanks for all your helps guys. Also there is no other way to overclock the cpu? Software wise? In the link you gave me I have to buy something. No clue what I have to buy but something. Anyone know any other way to do it. Also were would I go about buying this wire I need. Thanks!

586085699[/snapback]

Nope, the older G3 such as the one in your computer were completely hardware controlled for speed. The item that article was talking about buying at Radio Shack were just jumper blocks, like you'd find on the master/slave settings for a hard drive or CD-ROM. You'd need a few of them to change the settings on the computer. Most people that have worked on computers before generally have a few laying around (I know I've probably got a dozen or more in my parts bin).

zerolimit    8

Oh! do you recomend me bumping it up to 500mhz? or 450? what do you recomend?

HappyCar    0

I've just switched too

And its easier to adjust than I would have thought!

So go tiger go!

zerolimit    8

Well I tried overclocking but it isn't working. Were do I put the pins for 450 mhz? and were do I put the pins for 500mhz? help dude I dont get the article im that dumb :(