Neowin Metal Club

Bit of a different direction here, but I've been relistening to the old Metallica albums lately... Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning specifically. Was wondering where I could find myself some good fast paced sort've punk style metal. By fast paced, I certainly don't mean some of the death metal or whatever you want to call it where the double bass is flying at the speed of light. :p

Just some metal with real attitude like Pantera or something. Any thoughts?

^ Reminds me a lot of what my friends used to play back in high school. Good times... (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

So i came across a new track from kalmah's upcoming album(in a not-crappy-live--cellphone-cam form), and i'm kinda unsure about it. It's not bad but i hope it's one of the lesser songs on the album as i'm not overly impressed. But that may partly be due to how i'd like to see this new album come close to matching the greatness that was "The Black Waltz"(<3 that album).

Also, Here it is if youtube doesn't get around to deleting it as they like to do with anything and everything anymore.

I just bought Meshuggha's Obzen - awesome album. I think Bleed may be my favorite track. Also bought some old school Opeth - Deliverance and My Arms, Your Hearse, both amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
Just gonna put this in here.

Not a big Black Metal fan, but I kinda dig this.

Been jamming this alot lately. I almost forgot how much I liked these guys.

Any Hypocrisy fans here? I stumbled across them on emusic the other day - I really like some of their stuff of 'A taste of Extreme Divinity'.

Are most of their albums similar to this one?

BTW - Cannibal Corpse still rules.

• 3 weeks later...

I download my music from emusic, and they just brought in Fear Factory. Their Demanufacture album from 1995 is amazing. I had to download a few songs, Zero Signal (from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack), Self Bias Resistor, and Replica. I forgot how much these guys ruled back then.

Raymond Herrera is one of the nastiest drummers I've ever seen live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLOXDw-3hY

• 4 weeks later...

So despite not being too impressed initially by "bullets are blind" a couple months ago, i must say that Kalmah's new album(titled '12 gauge') turned out quite good overall. And on a different flavor of metal: Eluveitie's new album, Everything Remains as It Never Was, is pretty good too.

• 1 month later...

[Thread Moved from the Media Room to the Wall of Sound]

I went looking for music threads in the Media Room but this one escaped me. Thanks to Behemoth for letting me know.

Bit of a different direction here, but I've been relistening to the old Metallica albums lately... Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning specifically. Was wondering where I could find myself some good fast paced sort've punk style metal. By fast paced, I certainly don't mean some of the death metal or whatever you want to call it where the double bass is flying at the speed of light. :p

Just some metal with real attitude like Pantera or something. Any thoughts?

Thrash is what you are looking for and LoG is probably the best current torch carrier. Haven't heard too much else new on that front unfortunately.

I assume you are already down with the classics: SOD/MOD, Nuclear Assault, Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, Sepultura, Nailbomb, Fudge Tunnel, DRI, DBC, etc.

Las two Metallica albums haven't been bad either. Too bad one is so horribly mixed that its worse than vintage Misfits and the other while great musically seems to lack a certain passion.

[Thread Moved from the Media Room to the Wall of Sound]

I went looking for music threads in the Media Room but this one escaped me. Thanks to Behemoth for letting me know.

No problem. (Y) Thanks for the move.

I download my music from emusic, and they just brought in Fear Factory. Their Demanufacture album from 1995 is amazing. I had to download a few songs, Zero Signal (from the Mortal Kombat soundtrack), Self Bias Resistor, and Replica. I forgot how much these guys ruled back then.

Raymond Herrera is one of the nastiest drummers I've ever seen live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLOXDw-3hY

Did you get the new one? It is probably the best work they've done since Demanufacture (though I personally like Obsolete the most).

No Raymond Herrera, sadly, he quit with Christian (well, got kicked out actually), but Gene Hoglan's killing on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rg4ZJoIbI

Did you get the new one? It is probably the best work they've done since Demanufacture (though I personally like Obsolete the most).

No Raymond Herrera, sadly, he quit with Christian (well, got kicked out actually), but Gene Hoglan's killing on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8rg4ZJoIbI

I haven't heard the new one yet - is Burton still on vocals? I have to agree with Obsolete, that was a very good album. Shock and Edgecrusher are two of my favorites. I'll have to check this one out as well.

Thanks for the heads-up Syanide. ;)

Throwing this band out there again - Nile. Not sure how many metal heads have heard of these guys, but they are supposedly one of the best technical bands out there.

Yep, Burton's singing, Dino's back. The bass player is the bear from Strapping Young Lad, they haven't changed him, and Gene Hoglan's on drums. Basically there was this whole soap opera (it's ongoing) with Burton and Dino screwing Christian and Raymond over, reuniting on their own and writing the new album without the other two being informed. As much as I feel bad for those two guys, the really sad thing is that this really s**** all over their last two albums.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap, I just discovered the Decadence 2007 release 3rd Stage of Decay. Thrashy and that chick can growl! Reminds me of Death. \m/

And with all the media hubbub over the immigrants, just a reminder:

Yep, Burton's singing, Dino's back. The bass player is the bear from Strapping Young Lad, they haven't changed him, and Gene Hoglan's on drums. Basically there was this whole soap opera (it's ongoing) with Burton and Dino screwing Christian and Raymond over, reuniting on their own and writing the new album without the other two being informed. As much as I feel bad for those two guys, the really sad thing is that this really s**** all over their last two albums.

Unfortunately, emusic doesn't have Mechanize yet, so I'm still rocking the old Fear Factory. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the CD. If you say it's the best since Demanufacture, I'll trust ya ;)

Just downloaded Body Hammer - I forgot how brutal this song was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZPr6bQbVhM

@ Behemoth: Yes, they rock! I'm almost certainly going to see them in Fayetteville on June 2 :D they're touring with Prong and Silent Civilian. It's on a Wednesday (wtf, seriously), but taking a half-day off from work the next day is totally worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Good to know that FF has some fans. Fayetteville is a bit too far for me to go, although Clutch is coming to Greenville, SC June 17. That should be a great show.

Good to know that FF has some fans. Fayetteville is a bit too far for me to go, although Clutch is coming to Greenville, SC June 17. That should be a great show.

Definitely! Although that didn't work out... definitely a bit of a drive... I'm going to see a local band tomorrow (a local band with GREAT potential, btw, you guys should check them out: http://www.myspace.com/traumaslavemusic -- listen to Tear It Out and see what you think) instead.

Clutch, now I haven't listened to them in a while. I should do that...