Neowin Metal Club

Definitely! Although that didn't work out... definitely a bit of a drive... I'm going to see a local band tomorrow (a local band with GREAT potential, btw, you guys should check them out: http://www.myspace.com/traumaslavemusic -- listen to Tear It Out and see what you think) instead.

Clutch, now I haven't listened to them in a while. I should do that...

Not bad - although the vocals are different...

To get a good taste of Clutch try 'Regulator' from Blast Tyrant:

and Sink Em Low from Pure Rock Fury :

More metal you ask? Sure, how about Devildriver?

Some of you may recognize the lead singer; he's formerly 'Dez' of Coal Chamber.

For those who aren't afraid to get their faces melted.

+1

I like this - it seems as there is some Slayer/Kreator influence in these guys.

Sounds like some good thrash. Thanks for posting.

To add to the 'thrash' theme -

Meshuggah - Neurotica

For those who aren't afraid to get their faces melted.

**** yeah, that's what I'm talkin bout! (Y)

Been switching up my music patterns recently between some heavy metal, thrash, and hardcore punk I guess you'd call it. So long as it has attitude, I'm down. :punk:

Heh, interesting to read about the general perception of metal.

Considering there are so many Americans around, you should also dig a bit in your own scene. There are actually a few decent things coming from there. :-)

Check out 'Dead as dreams' by Weakling, for example. Loss has a great demo and some good splits. Anything by Asunder is worth its own ceremony. The last Xasthur release is quite good considering the crap Malefic has shat out during the years.

Canada is a country with much more and better stuff, though. Woods of Ypres, Miserere Luminis, Gris.....

Well, I could go on for a decade, and then another century about European and Aussie stuff.

Heh, interesting to read about the general perception of metal.

Considering there are so many Americans around, you should also dig a bit in your own scene. There are actually a few decent things coming from there. :-)

Check out 'Dead as dreams' by Weakling, for example. Loss has a great demo and some good splits. Anything by Asunder is worth its own ceremony. The last Xasthur release is quite good considering the crap Malefic has shat out during the years.

Canada is a country with much more and better stuff, though. Woods of Ypres, Miserere Luminis, Gris.....

Well, I could go on for a decade, and then another century about European and Aussie stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll definitely check out the bands you listed.

Considering American bands, I'm really starting to dig Mastodon, although the genre they fit in is still undetermined in my book. :) I still check Clutch out whenever they come anywhere close to where I live (although I'm not sure they are metal technically), and I've already seen them 15+ times. I'm looking forward to seeing Black Dahlia and maybe Cannibal Corpse when they come around (even though CC came to my hometown a few months ago but I was out of town on business), but the majority of my favorite bands still come from overseas.

The day I can see CC, Opeth and Amon Amarth in the same day will be the greatest day ever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I didn't realize that Neowin had a metal thread. I'm a big death metal/grindcore fan. I'd love to hear some suggestions. I sometimes delve into death core or whatever. I don't care about sub-genres as long as it's good music. If I listen to an album and I don't feel like my teeth have been kicked in, I throw it away immediately.

Any Soilwork fans? The new album just came out Tuesday and I gave it a couple spins. I definitely like it as far as the newer albums are concerned. I plan on seeing them again when they roll through on their headlining tour.

Any Soilwork fans? The new album just came out Tuesday and I gave it a couple spins. I definitely like it as far as the newer albums are concerned. I plan on seeing them again when they roll through on their headlining tour.

join the club :yes:

Wow, I didn't realize that Neowin had a metal thread. I'm a big death metal/grindcore fan. I'd love to hear some suggestions. I sometimes delve into death core or whatever. I don't care about sub-genres as long as it's good music. If I listen to an album and I don't feel like my teeth have been kicked in, I throw it away immediately.

Yeah, the Metal thread has been going strong for a few years, but keeps getting buried behind emo and crap. ;)

I look at albums the same way - have you dove into the world of Cannibal Corpse yet? Their stuff lately has been amazing (as far as Death is concerned.) I know there is a huge debate among Death fans about Chris Barnes CC and George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher CC, but I can only listen to George. His voice is absolutely the best DM has to offer.

As far as Grindcore, I've been listening to ALOT of Meshuggah lately (I believe they fit in this genre), and with every song, I'm more impressed. Their latest, obZen, is jaw-dropping. Jens Kidman has one of the best voices for Thrash/GC. I could listen to obZen/Bleed all day long.

Alright dudes, my girlfriend is going to Gothenburg and Oslo in a couple weeks and I asked her if she would stop and get me something from both places. Being as I don't live in Europe and never visited, where would a metal head go there?

Was given a link earlier to watch/download a video of a 1989 BBC Arena documentary. Footage includes Metallica, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Napalm Death and more. Some footage from Donington 1988 as well.

Takes me back to my youth.

link to video

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to the Mayhem Festival this year, or plan on going? I'll be at the Raleigh, NC show today. Should be incredible. Can't wait to see Lamb of God, Chimaira, and Shadows Fall. Rob Zombie will be cool too. Korn, not so much metal comparatively, but I still like them as well, so they'll be cool to see. Plus Atreyu and Hatebreed. Haven't listened to Norma Jean, 3 Inches of Blood, In This Moment, or Winds of Plague as much, so I guess I'll hear more from them today. I can't wait to get out there. It's going to be a hell of a show, and for $10 for a ticket, how the hell could you not go?! Best value EVER.

Anyone been to the Mayhem Festival this year, or plan on going? I'll be at the Raleigh, NC show today. Should be incredible. Can't wait to see Lamb of God, Chimaira, and Shadows Fall. Rob Zombie will be cool too. Korn, not so much metal comparatively, but I still like them as well, so they'll be cool to see. Plus Atreyu and Hatebreed. Haven't listened to Norma Jean, 3 Inches of Blood, In This Moment, or Winds of Plague as much, so I guess I'll hear more from them today. I can't wait to get out there. It's going to be a hell of a show, and for $10 for a ticket, how the hell could you not go?! Best value EVER.

I only want to see a few bands off this tour. I'm actually going to go see LoG at Myrtle Beach next Monday as they are doing a headline show off date. I want to see a full set from them as I haven't had a chance to see them yet.

I only want to see a few bands off this tour. I'm actually going to go see LoG at Myrtle Beach next Monday as they are doing a headline show off date. I want to see a full set from them as I haven't had a chance to see them yet.

Yeah, I think they are the band I'm most interested in, or Chimaira. I'm sure they won't be FULL sets, but they should be pretty decent sets. The show starts at 1 pm or so on 3 stages, 4 bands per stage I think, and running all day long, so they should all get some decent time I think. I'll let you know after!

Edit: Oh, it looks like maybe only an hour a piece on the main stage. Not too bad, but could be better.