Neowin Metal Club

we get quite a few good metal bands that pass through Cleveland, OH. Recently, in June, i saw Silent Civilian one week, then Chimaira the next week. In July, I saw Shadows Fall, then just last week i saw Lamb of God. that all 4 of those shows were amazing.

Im a huge fan of Silent Civilian. If you dont know them, i highly suggest you check them out. Long, complex songs that involve the usual screaming and singing. They're not very well known, which is a shame b/c the band features Jonny Santos from Spineshank! I dont think their label does anything to get them recognized or exposed. check them out here --> www.myspace.com/silentcivilian

Incredible day of music! I'd say my ears were ringing, but I'm still listening to Chimaira at volumes way too loud, so I can't tell. Most of the main stage shows were a bit of a let down compared to the side stages. I'm not a huge Five Finger Death Punch fan, but they were pretty good. Lamb of God was great, but not loud enough. It sounded like we were listening to the studio recording. Rob Zombie wasn't very impressive. Left during Korn. On the side stages though, Chimaira was incredible, as was Shadows Fall and Hatebreed. Though I do like some of their stuff, Atreyu seemed out of place with their punk/emo/metal cross. I'd never heard In This Moment, and honestly when a female lead singer came on, I almost wrote them off immediately. Just a personal preference, I have nothing against female singers, I just don't prefer them as much myself. However, after a song or two, I was pretty damn impressed. Not only could she hang with most of the guys out there, she certainly wasn't bad to look at either. She came out to the middle of the crowd for a big circle pit around the mixing table, which was pretty cool. Overall, I'm a little burnt and very tired, but it was a great show.

Incredible day of music! I'd say my ears were ringing, but I'm still listening to Chimaira at volumes way too loud, so I can't tell. Most of the main stage shows were a bit of a let down compared to the side stages. I'm not a huge Five Finger Death Punch fan, but they were pretty good. Lamb of God was great, but not loud enough. It sounded like we were listening to the studio recording. Rob Zombie wasn't very impressive. Left during Korn. On the side stages though, Chimaira was incredible, as was Shadows Fall and Hatebreed. Though I do like some of their stuff, Atreyu seemed out of place with their punk/emo/metal cross. I'd never heard In This Moment, and honestly when a female lead singer came on, I almost wrote them off immediately. Just a personal preference, I have nothing against female singers, I just don't prefer them as much myself. However, after a song or two, I was pretty damn impressed. Not only could she hang with most of the guys out there, she certainly wasn't bad to look at either. She came out to the middle of the crowd for a big circle pit around the mixing table, which was pretty cool. Overall, I'm a little burnt and very tired, but it was a great show.

Glad you had fun! I'm also not a big Five Finger etc fan, but some songs are okay. The last time I saw Rob Zombie was the RZ/Korn tour in 2004 or 5, and he seemed like he still had the fire to perform. From what my friends have told me, he seems to just be going through the motions now.

I've been wanting to see Shadows Fall and Hatebreed for a while, I dig their studio stuff, haven't tried out Chimera yet. I'll give them a look this weekend. Thanks for the update.

Edit: I feel the same way about female metal singers... I can't help it, it seems like they're always gonna be an opening act. Glad to hear that she was impressive - I'll check them out as well.

I'm assuming you went to Mayhem Fest? I'm going this Tuesday. I almost didn't go due to the steep $50+ price tag but a friend told me that if I'd drive that he'd pay so I figured why not. I looked at the list and was not excited about any of the main stage bands. I did, however, get excited looking at the second stage. I love Chimaira but have not seen them live. I've seen Hatebreed and they're pretty good. My gripe with Hatebreed is if you've heard one album, you've heard them all. Winds of Plague is an awesome band I can't wait to hear live. Also, my best friend's band is the vocalist for the only local band playing from Florida: Must... Not... Kill... These guys never disappoint.

Havent listened to Metal in ages, been way into my uk Grime stuff but i have to go back to my roots a :p

Yeah, the Metal thread has been going strong for a few years, but keeps getting buried behind emo and crap. ;)

I look at albums the same way - have you dove into the world of Cannibal Corpse yet? Their stuff lately has been amazing (as far as Death is concerned.) I know there is a huge debate among Death fans about Chris Barnes CC and George 'Corpsegrinder' Fisher CC, but I can only listen to George. His voice is absolutely the best DM has to offer.

As far as Grindcore, I've been listening to ALOT of Meshuggah lately (I believe they fit in this genre), and with every song, I'm more impressed. Their latest, obZen, is jaw-dropping. Jens Kidman has one of the best voices for Thrash/GC. I could listen to obZen/Bleed all day long.

Na not really GrindCore, if you listen to some GrindCore bands then listen to Meshuggah, you really see a big difference, Meshuggah are really a mixture of genres in one. More progressive metal or something, really hard to put them down to just one genre.

Havent listened to Metal in ages, been way into my uk Grime stuff but i have to go back to my roots a :p

Na not really GrindCore, if you listen to some GrindCore bands then listen to Meshuggah, you really see a big difference, Meshuggah are really a mixture of genres in one. More progressive metal or something, really hard to put them down to just one genre.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I guess progressive would fit them, although I've heard the term 'mathcore' thrown around. Regardless, they are awesome.

^^ From what I've read, it appears to be picking up pace early next year, with a release later in the year. Hopefully we'll get a date or some updated info soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to believe that this topic is now over 5 years old and it's only 121 pages long.

I was sure Neowin had more metal heads than this :p

Use the 40 posts-per-page option. ;) We're up to 46 pages.

Maybe not many people know this thread exists. So keep bumping it up. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Ive added a link to the Metal Club page to my sig ;).

Any Vader fans here? If so, could you recommend any albums? I recently stumbled across them on Pandora and they are awesome.

Just listened to

- amazing.

I'm from Poland and I'm a big fan of Vader :)

I recommend older albums e.g. Revelations or The Beast and maybe XXV as bruNo wrote (some Vader history with guest vocals and musicians)

My favorite metal band as of late is rage. They are ridiculously underrated and have a huge back catalog of great albums. if you like thrashy power metal check them out. I reocmmend the albums Trapped!, Black in Mind, The Missing Link, Strings to a Web, and End of all Days.

Hard to admit considering I'm a big fan of Christian and Raymond, but I'm loving the new Fear Factory line up:

Been on a Fear Factory trip lately btw, new album is really great, favorites are Mechanize, Powershifter and Final Exit.

I'm from Poland and I'm a big fan of Vader :)

I recommend older albums e.g. Revelations or The Beast and maybe XXV as bruNo wrote (some Vader history with guest vocals and musicians)

I downloaded De Profundis from emusic, that was the oldest one they had. It's actually pretty amazing - VERY brutal. I'll stop by the local record place and see what they have.

Thanks for the suggestions. (Y)

Hard to admit considering I'm a big fan of Christian and Raymond, but I'm loving the new Fear Factory line up:

Been on a Fear Factory trip lately btw, new album is really great, favorites are Mechanize, Powershifter and Final Exit.

Nice - seems like they're trying to get back to their 'Obsolete' days.. I still listen to 'Demanufacture' all the time. Their best album by far. I swear, if I had a theme song, it would be Body Hammer.

Wow, Dino Cazares will explode soon... :rofl:

Lol, however his skills are insane. I like one of his other bands (Divine Heresy)

The second video is their current line-up. The drummer makes me tired just listening to it.

Lol, however his skills are insane. I like one of his other bands (Divine Heresy)

The second video is their current line-up. The drummer makes me tired just listening to it.

the drummer is pretty much the sole reason i listen to that band! he's just unf*ckingreal!

the drummer is pretty much the sole reason i listen to that band! he's just unf*ckingreal!

When I first heard Facebreaker I was looking for his other 5 arms, and 3 legs that I'm sure he must have.