Microsoft OneCare Beta

*checks email*

Hey! woo hoo! I just got an email this morning for it.  Nice.  Even need a product key.

586243702[/snapback]

did you sign up or what? did you fill in a nomination form?

I cant give it away guys sorry.  :(  (the product key is probably linked? to my account)

I didnt complete anything though, thats why im baffled.

586243712[/snapback]

Might as Well Try?

i'm in it too..i remember being emailed the survey a few months ago. basically it's like a 1 stop shop for alot of stuff to maintain your computer or at least that's their ultimate intention.

the version that they have you testing right now, includes anti-virus, a better firewall than the one that default comes with windows xp, and kinda tuneup service that basically runs the MS anti-virus, defrags the drive, and deletes some "uneeded" files.

they've stated that their ultimate intention is to add more features like spyware protection and other stuff. as it stands now, the program is somewhat of a resource hog, not a huge amount but definately more than my normal AV. the firewall gives you a reminder everytime you start a program that uses the internet, even windows explorer. there's no way to manually AV scan files/folders with a right-click like you'd normally do with norton or other stuff. as i said i'm sure they'll add that feature later but right now the program is still in it's early phases.

the program seems to be targeted more towards the novice user, cause i have no need for the firewall as I have my router's firewall active, and there's no way you can temp disable the AV if you wanted to do something like install a program or play games. right now you have to turn it off completely then remember to re-enable it. also the AV program auto updates automatically, there's no way you can disable this feature. I don't personally like that because i like to be in 100% control of my internet bandwidth at all times and don't like random programs to just do random checks. all that said i think i'll have fun testing it, if only to help make it more efficient and to hopefully give users more control over what it installs and how much it really does.

Well If Anyone Has It and Doesn't Want t Test It, i will happly take it from them cos I love Beta Testing :D :p

586243775[/snapback]

that would be hard because the product key they give you is binded to your passport account for a 1 year subscription.

so...now....do OneCare monitor your OWN AV and Firewall or do MS GIVE you one?..:/

586243757[/snapback]

It comes with its own firewall and AV

Well If Anyone Has It and Doesn't Want t Test It, i will happly take it from them cos I love Beta Testing :D :p

one thing is for sure...this is for sure targeting users who is not tech savy and is really not into making their computer secure. A great move by Microsoft. I can see this being pretty big.

Does this thing reminds you of...a more advinced Security Center in SP2?..:p

GUYS, im sorry but I CANT give you the key, so stop asking! I dont want to be potentially banned from all future tests.

Im just simply asking why this happened...im not offering anything! Its just pathetic how I dont get into stuff that I need, like student beta 06...and randomly get invited into things like this.

Sorry but I just took notice its U.S. only apparently.

586243791[/snapback]

US and Canada?...because they had Ontario in there when i was filling out the application...>.<

now this is one Beta I have NOT heard about till today...how did this get pass me again?...:huh:

US and Canada?...because they had Ontario in there when i was filling out the application...>.<

now this is one Beta I have NOT heard about till today...how did this get pass me again?...:huh:

586243811[/snapback]

lol..theres lots going on man. It happens.