Mac OS on Intel based computers?

A friend of mine read somewhere on the Internet that a future release of Mac OS should be able to install on a Intel-based PC. Is this true? The most resent version is based on UNIX, if i?m not wrong. So maybe this could happen.

Anything can happen in the future so you are a fool if you say otherwise.

As for Mac OS X appearing on Intel, well, put it this way. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Apple makes most of its money on hardware...Making it very unlikely that they would bother with the PC market.

The cost to support such an OS would be tremendous and they would have a difficult time getting their OS to be compatible and stable on the vast PC platform.

That won't be happening for a couple years. But I better be able to use the other mouse buttons than the standard click.

I do remember seeing somewhere that Sony is working on their own OS also. :evil:

The product activation code I hear is pretty good. But using a permanent marker you can by pass the security by drawing a ring on the outer edge of the CD. :knocked-o

Originally posted by RazerBack

That won't be happening for a couple years. But I better be able to use the other mouse buttons than the standard click.

Huh? Don't you people realise OS X is based around at least 2 buttons? It does have a right click function built in. I use my Microsoft Intellimouse and I use all 5 buttons regulary.

See:

right1.jpg

right2.jpg

right3.jpg

Originally posted by aaron901

have apple made any two-button mouse?

Not as far as I know, they insist on bundling the useless (although very pretty :D ) one button mouse with their comps. At least they did with my iMac.

It's a pretty sweet mouse, very accurate, it's a shame it isn't two buttoned with a scroll wheel at the minimum:

http://www.apple.com/mouse/

http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peri...rals/input.html

Originally posted by Dazzla

Not as far as I know, they insist on bundling the useless (although very pretty :D ) one button mouse with their comps. At least they did with my iMac.

It's a pretty sweet mouse, very accurate, it's a shame it isn't two buttoned with a scroll wheel at the minimum:

http://www.apple.com/mouse/

http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/peri...rals/input.html

wow! i hope they modify the gorgeous mouse then i can replace my intelli explorer.

the mac was always designed as a two handed machine. you left hand never should have left the keyboard. you can navigate quickly through windows cmd-o cmd-w option-cmd-W how many people use two hands when using photoshop? premiere/FCP? these are the graphical areas where macs were born to rule. a PC mouse will need 216 buttons to do what i thinks it needs to with only 1 click. the right button or on a mac is a ctrl click. IF you use photoshop you will know how often you ctrl-click, cmd-click, option-click and shift click. So then shouyld you use a 4 button mouse? some people would say no, what about if you want to cmd-shoft click? you need to add another button. Eventually you will need to use your left hand to use the keyboard. Yes i relaize tha thte ctrl-click is becoming oh so much more needed for the pc user to add functionality. but i think the point is, a 2 button wheel mouse should help you to draw the line on functionality of the mouse. after that it just becomes a mobile keyboard. but that is just my oppinion.

BTW i own both PC and MAC and love the best of both worlds. good graphic editing and great gaming.

just my 2 cents

-i3iz

Originally posted by chrisnelis

Dazzla>

Whats the stationary pad option do?

(on the file properties for the quick time file)

Well, I checked help and it said this:

stationary.jpg

I've still got no idea what it does. When I set a word document as a stationary pad. All the difference was, was when it opened word up, when I went to close the document, it asked me to save whereas normally it would just close.

As for what i3iz said, I partly agree with that. Software like photoshop was designed for one button and if you know the shortcuts it's a much quicker working environment but other apps are designed for 2 buttons so it has its advantages.

Originally posted by chrisnelis

Thanks sort of like word templates for every application

cool

Yeah, I've actually just setup a folder with a few of these for college assignments for different lecturers, all set as stationary pad. That way I just open these and they act as templates. Sweet :cool:

Originally posted by sMk

jeez, can't you buy a progie so that you can MAC OS-X on your PC?

Maybe not, but i thought there was one!

-sMk

Nope you can't, but you can buy a program to run Windows XP on a mac.

Life's a bitch, huh? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by aaron901

anyway is it hard to make a proggy to run osx on xp?

Almost impossible. As far as I know, they haven't even been able to emulate the PPC chip successfully yet. Without that, there isn't an emulator. That's why you can only run up to OS 8.1 on windows. anything above that required a PPC CPU.

christ thrs still people thinking that apple uses only a one button mouse? sure the pictures usually show them wiht the little mouse but they almost never ship with one, usually you buy them with a generic 2 button scroll wheel optical mouse.

my friends got better than any mouse he's getting this

I think this all started back with a big petition started...it was something like "OSX for Intel." The main idea is that YES, if programmers spent the time, they could, in theory, port OSX to x86 (PC platform if I assume correct). Herein lies the problem: To convert code you have to have it. Only Apple has the OSX source code and the resources to convert it. The idea behind the OSX for Intel petition was to encourage Apple to spend the time porting OSX to Intel-based chipsets.

Apple has voiced their interest in going software-only...hardware is very time-consuming and not yielding a whole lot for them. Their sales have been pretty flaky recently. I think they may go more towards this because they are probably going to release iPod software for the PC. Apple is coming to its senes. There are just too many PC users out there with not enough money to buy a Mac. They do buy iPods and such, and do use them with their PCs...

My personal belief/hope is that Apple will stay entirely Mac, though I do like their iPod move because many iPod owners do not own Macs. I am waiting until I am out of debt to buy my iBook or many even a TiBook....who knows.

Go Apple?:china:

um yah apple would not do that unless they start to realy slip in the profits.

i mean they just become a sofware vendor if they went x86 even a little bit.

tho you might find x86-64 proc's on the next gen mac's if motarolla doesn't come throught will the G5... :x opps now i spilled the beans.