• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mac OS on Intel based computers?

linux2    0

Dazzla. . .how is your iMac holding up? I am hearing not so good things about the quality of the units. Dead pixels, bad harddrives. power button issues, etc. I think I am leaning toward the eMac.

Dazzla    5
Originally posted by linux2

Dazzla. . .how is your iMac holding up? I am hearing not so good things about the quality of the units. Dead pixels, bad harddrives. power button issues, etc. I think I am leaning toward the eMac.

It's been perfect. I've got no dead pixels and none of the other problems you've mentioned. The hard drive has been flawless and is 100% silent. I can never hear it in operation.

The power button has no issues even though I don't use it any more, the sleep function on a mac ****es on the standby function on a PC. Click sleep and it's off in about 2 seconds, when you want to wake it up just press a button on the mouse or click the keyboard and it's awake in less then 1 second. It's amazing.

The only difference betweent the eMac and the iMac is screen (and maybe a little price difference). The LCD screen on the iMac is amazing, massively bright (brightness can be changed from the keyboard, F14 and F15), Nice high refresh rate because the games I play have zero ghosting whatsoever (that includes games lke Quake 3, so its pretty fast), Nice wide viewing angle (although that doesn't really matter because you can change the position of the screen with one finger, heaven on my bad back) and no dead pixels whatsoever.

Here's a picture of the translucent overlay that appears on scren if you haven't seen it. It appears when you alter the brightness, volume and when you eject a CD.

lay.jpg

Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by Nova_rock

um yah apple would not do that unless they start to realy slip in the profits.

i mean they just become a sofware vendor if they went x86 even a little bit.

tho you might find x86-64 proc's on the next gen mac's if motarolla doesn't come throught will the G5... :x opps now i spilled the beans.

close your buttcheeks and quit talking out of your ass. Apple have slipped in the profits before and you didn't see them switching to x86 did you?

As far as the g5's go if motorola doesn't come through why the hell would they switch from ppc when they could just get chips from ibm like they are planning on doing?

linux2    0

Thanks for the reply Dazzla. The eMac is essentially an FP iMac sans the FP for $300 less. Going to make the 120 mile trek to Chicago, IL (nearest Apple store) to compare the two. Should be a fun day :)

EidrahS    0

Hi guys...heres my 2cents

Well ive worked on PC's (NT & XP), Amiga, SGI, DEC Alpha & Macs in an amination company. We used all the platforms to do various things BUT i must say that the PC;s were only used for things like scanning, rendering etc.(all low level usage).

I used PowerAnimator (now known as MAYA) on the SGI - Lightwave on the Amiga & SGI - TIC TAC TOON on the DEC Alpha's & Photoshop on the MAC - wheres as the macs are in the same class as the other machines (high level).

Thats when i realised that macs are built for DESIGNERS. I think that people(wannabe MAC users) will bring the mac DOWN to Windows level if they keep ranting & raving about the OSX for the PC BUT instead they dont realise that the MAC's (hardware) & software are closer to HIGH LEVEL systems like SGI & DECs.

I only bought a PC cos i didnt have the cash for a mac BUT soon i will be getting my G4 Titanium Powerbook (http://www.apple.com/powerbook/)...

Damn i even think LINUX is better than XP.......I mean take ALL the bells & whistles out of XP and u have Win2000 or Win98SE.

oh well lemme not start a "MAC vs PC" bashing thread.

Just that from my experience i think that MACS are MACS and they should stay there. - UP THERE...

Thats my 2cents spent.

Tesseract    0

i've said it once, i'll say it again: it'll never happen. if this happens, then they will have to support more hardware and their macs will almost be nonexistant because they are so expensive. it would be nice, but it will never happen. :(

Silvorgold    1

as others were saying: this will NEVER happen any time soon, even ALL mac users on a mac forum i go to say that theres no way this will ever happen cuz it will ruin apple's ruputation for producing an OS only available for macintosh based computers

if they started producing OSX for pc...theydd have to go through years of recreating an OS since OSX was built for PPC based processors and not for x86 based processors. software programs would have to be recreated to be able to run on both x86 and PPC, and if x86 was compatible with OSX users, most current users would be appauled probably since most Mac users (most ones here dont) hate PC users

sailgreg    0

I know I would buy it if they did release a 586 version, it is worth $129 for that nice interface :)

johnqpublic    0

Just out of curiosity: why doesn't apple open up some of their designs to other hardware manufacturers to create an actual market (not a monopoly) in which competition will create lower prices? I wish that I could afford a Mac, but really ppl, why should the idea of Mac ppl mingling with PC ppl offend anyone? You would think that we were talking about segregation of color, instead of stupid pieces of silicon and metal ...

unspec    0
Originally posted by johnqpublic

Just out of curiosity: why doesn't apple open up some of their designs to other hardware manufacturers to create an actual market (not a monopoly) in which competition will create lower prices? I wish that I could afford a Mac, but really ppl, why should the idea of Mac ppl mingling with PC ppl offend anyone? You would think that we were talking about segregation of color, instead of stupid pieces of silicon and metal ...

Because Apple make more money with a closed market.

They have a monopoly but they are not illegally maintaining it, so it's all ok. :)

--

unspec

Silvorgold    1
Originally posted by unspec

Because Apple make more money with a closed market.

They have a monopoly but they are not illegally maintaining it, so it's all ok. :)

--

unspec

yep so true ;)

if they had an open market, apple would lose ALOT of money in the hardware business

azazel-    0
Originally posted by Wickedkitten

close your buttcheeks and quit talking out of your ass. Apple have slipped in the profits before and you didn't see them switching to x86 did you?

As far as the g5's go if motorola doesn't come through why the hell would they switch from ppc when they could just get chips from ibm like they are planning on doing?

Are you ever nice? Seriously.

Wickedkitten    12
Originally posted by azazel-

Are you ever nice? Seriously.

why the **** do you care? Seriously.

Keldyn    1

azazel don't go provoking an argument please. Kitten, comments like that are best left unanswered;) Let's not ruin the thread ok guys? Thanks

-Keldyn

Wing    0

I have an idea! if everyone makes drivers for apple's x86 darwin, they might take a hint and port the other layers, because of the support?

Actions speak louder than words.

unspec    0
Originally posted by Wing

I have an idea! if everyone makes drivers for apple's x86 darwin, they might take a hint and port the other layers, because of the support?

Support doesn't matter, Apples business plan does not work on an open harware platform.

Any move that would kill their harware sales isn't an option.

You'd be best putting that enthusiasm towards GNU/Linux or BSD and making a "Quartz-llike" open source WM. I think that is about that best you could do without Apples help.

Even then you'd probaby be treading on a fair bit of copyright,

--

unspec

Wickedkitten    12

what good would that do? You've still got like 4 layers on top of darwin

Wing    0

what good would that do? You've still got like 4 layers on top of darwin

Did you even read the post?

Give me a good reason why if Apple wanted to, port OSX to x86, that they couldn't? It's very possible. I mean OSX isn't exactly greased lightning on your Mac, slick. -_-

unspec    0
Give me a good reason why if Apple wanted to

Whoa! Stop right there tiger! Apple don't want to!

That's like saying:

"Give me a good reason why if Microsoft wanted to, put a man on the moon, they couldn't? It's very possible. I mean they have enough money to throw at it."

Right.

Lots of things are possible. It's possible that all the molecules in your keyboard will quantum tunnel into the kitchen right now.

But, like Apple porting OS X to x86, it's not probable.

--

unspec

Wickedkitten    12

Did you even read the post?

:sigh: Why would people waste their time writing drivers for darwin

when they would just have to turn around and write them all over again to cover the added 4 layers?

Do you understand now?

Give me a good reason why if Apple wanted to, port OSX to x86, that they couldn't? It's very possible. I mean OSX isn't exactly greased lightning on your Mac, slick. -_-

have you used our mac?

Wing    0

:sigh: Why would people waste their time writing drivers for darwin

when they would just have to turn around and write them all over again to cover the added 4 layers?

Do you understand now?

have you used our mac?

Tell me then, does it run fast?

blah you win for now, I can't think. You seem like you know what you are saying.

But If I'm not wrong, drivers are contained in the kernel.

usr.bin    0

Chalk up another win for Cathy the Ruthless. :pirate:

(Note: I'm surprised |-| that much)

--dave

Wickedkitten    12

Tell me then, does it run fast?

blah you win for now, I can't think. You seem like you know what you are saying.

But If I'm not wrong, drivers are contained in the kernel.

yeah it does run fast and its only :o a 450 g4 cube

btw you could easily write drivers to run on darwin but when it comes to osx the drivers have to be optimised the quartz and opengl layer.

OSX is essentially from the ground up:

Darwin

Quartz, OpenGL, Quicktime audio <----media

Cocoa, java 2, carbon, classic<-----framework

aqua, applescript<-----aqua

Darwin, Media, Frameworks and Aqua.

without those you don't have osx and seeing as how the framework is heavily optimised for ppc it's not worth the time and expense of getting everything to work with x86 architecture cos most of that is tied into the chipset

usr.bin    0

Cathy....you win.

--dave