Mac OS on Intel based computers?

um... thats only darwin, not OSX. Darwin is essentially linux. It doesnt even come with X Windows System or Aqua. Its just plain darwin, nothing else. How do i know? i've had it for several months...

Originally posted by giantsnyy2002

um... thats only darwin, not OSX. Darwin is essentially linux. It doesnt even come with X Windows System or Aqua. Its just plain darwin, nothing else. How do i know? i've had it for several months...

thats in response to what?

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

thats in response to what?

I believe in responce to:

"Darwin

Quartz, OpenGL, Quicktime audio <----media

Cocoa, java 2, carbon, classic<-----framework

aqua, applescript<-----aqua"

It appears to me that he thinks you were listing something about Darwin and is under the mistaken impression that you are running Darwin and not OSX. I could be mistaken. The reply was cryptic and I'm retarded.

--dave

Originally posted by hkey_root

I believe in responce to:

"Darwin

aqua, applescript<-----aqua"

It appears to me that he thinks you were listing something about Darwin and is under the mistaken impression that you are running Darwin and not OSX. I could be mistaken. The reply was cryptic and I'm retarded.

--dave

I would hope not considering the fact that I put

OSX is essentially from the ground up:

Darwin

aqua, applescript<-----aqua

Darwin, Media, Frameworks and Aqua.

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

I would hope not considering the fact that I put

Well, loads of people have replied to posts and not read the thread, or the entireity of other posts. I won't mention any names right now. (But a certain person does in fact spring to mind that didn't quite read an entire poll and because of that made not one, but two different individual edits to try and clairify what he meant and never really got the point across i don't believe.)

--dave

[edit] Just incase some mods think I'm breaking the "No Racism, No Threatening, No (citing) Victimization (via PM) or Hateful posts" rule and I get in trouble and a huge scene on Neowin breaks out, let me just clairify that the above mentioned retard was in fact me.

Darwin the the real OS, the GUI is just something on top, which uses the Darwin kernel and doesn't address hardware directly, thus it could potentially work on the x86 Darwin kernel by recompiling it only.

Also who knows what Apple will do, if they want to focus more on software and less on hardware, a x86 port can be possible.

We got a graphics guy in our company a couple of days ago, shipped with a Mac ( :D ), I played with the thing around, it's pretty nice, but I wouldn't work 24/7 with it. I hate especially the Finder.

Originally posted by Tom Servo

Darwin the the real OS, the GUI is just something on top, which uses the Darwin kernel and doesn't address hardware directly, thus it could potentially work on the x86 Darwin kernel by recompiling it only.

So I guess Quartz, Cocoa, and Carbon have nothing to do with it right?

how about timmy just smack everyone that ask this ;) if there EVER WAS an APPLE operating system on the i386 it would NOT BE OSX! Osx will be like 10 years old at the time more like osxv or something like that. so no need to ask cause hte answer is and will always be (for a while) no :)

Wickedkitten:

i suspect what Wing ment was does aqua run fast. My g3 300 caould take on aqua easily if i had some desent gfx hardware in there

Originally posted by Zerosignull

Wickedkitten:

i suspect what Wing ment was does aqua run fast. My g3 300 caould take on aqua easily if i had some desent gfx hardware in there

yeah it runs fast, theres a gf2mx in here

Originally posted by Zerosignull

gf2 mx .. urgh!!! i dont know y for the extra $10-$20 apple dont stick in a propa gf2 like a gf2 pro

consider the fact that the cube is now over 2 years old and the newer macs come with gf4 ti's

the nu e/imac's comes with gf2 mx and the g4 minitowers come with a gf4 mx with the exception of on model that comes with a radeon 7.5k

ither with was u look at it the gf2 mx is ****e ... cost a lot to get a gf4 ti in a mac.

Of course it costs a lot.

They're not some cheap knock-off of the Nvidia reference design.

They are also re-engineered with an ADC, for ease of use with the LCD displays.

--

unspec

Originally posted by unspec

Of course it costs a lot.

They're not some cheap knock-off of the Nvidia reference design.

They are also re-engineered with an ADC, for ease of use with the LCD displays.

--

unspec

ADC is just a DVI port and all nu gfx cards come with DVI ports and standard db 15 (pc vga) ports

No actually an ADC port carries the USB information and power (for the USB hub on the screens), the power for the screen itself, and the screen information (using the same signal as DVI does).

All of this is pumped through the card.

A bit more than just a DVI connector, wouldn't you say?

--

unspec

Quite honestly if you're an average computer user OS X should be a very small learning curve.

The best thing is that if you yust like "lickable buttons" that's all you have to use. However if you want to delve deeper, there is a whole lot of BSD goodness underneath.

--

unspec

Originally posted by intensityx

:ponder: If I had a gun, I would kill this thread.

Well to be fair you didn't have to read it, or add a new post to it.

Making it last all the longer. :rolleyes:

--

unspec

So I guess Quartz, Cocoa, and Carbon have nothing to do with it right?

They run ON the kernel, and per theory should not access hardware directly, so a recompile could be enough.

Just thought I'd add a little spice to this thread ;)

The whole reason people want to see OS X on the x86 architecture is because GOOD spec x86 machines are affordable, unlike MAC's. To get a GF4 Ti as standard you have to spend over ?3500 + monitor!! Take a look at my rig in the wallpapers thread, total cost to replace isn't even ?2000.... and that's with TWO monitors....

*sigh* people just don't understand do they?

Originally posted by Advocate

Just thought I'd add a little spice to this thread ;)

The whole reason people want to see OS X on the x86 architecture is because GOOD spec x86 machines are affordable, unlike MAC's. To get a GF4 Ti as standard you have to spend over ?3500 + monitor!! Take a look at my rig in the wallpapers thread, total cost to replace isn't even ?2000.... and that's with TWO monitors....

*sigh* people just don't understand do they? b>

?3500 is a bit over the top. I can buy the cheapest powermac today and put in a GF4 Ti PC card. That is under ?1500, all I would need is a monitor.