Nintendo President on Revolution resolution

And I am really looking forward to playing the old new NES, SNES and N64 games I never had the possibility to play before, on revolution.

586285476[/snapback]

Good for you, I can already do that with my Xbox :laugh:

I seriously doubt the Revolution will have any chance of competing when it comes out (it's rumored to come out near or after the PS3). Just look at this

Revolution

Only plays game out of the box

Only supports 480p

Wifi only

Little third party support

Nintendo name brand

PS3

plays DVDs and Bluray

Supports up to 1080p

Wifi and wired ethernet

Support of nearly all 3rd parties

Sony name brand

So unless this special controller is just so incredibly amazing that no one will ever use a standard gamepad again, the Revolution has no chance :D

Good for you, I can already do that with my Xbox  :laugh:

586286510[/snapback]

The difference from you and me is that I buy all my games and do not resort to illegal emulation. :angry:

And I'm still buying NES, master system, SNES and genesis games.

While emulators are technically illegal, I seriously doubt you would ever be penalized just for downloading them. Hell, for a while there were little booths in malls that sold controllers that you hook up to your TV and it has mario and some other nes games, and it took like 6 months for them to get caught (BTW I'm in Texas.) Developers don't make any money from you buying old games either.

Have fun paying $5 a pop for a limited selection of old Nintendo games while I get to enjoy ALL the games that were released for free! :woot:

It's really cool playing them on my PSP! People are always impressed when I whip it out and start playing Sonic or Super Mario World or something :laugh:

I rather take out my SNES and play SMW on my TV than play it on a PSP.

I am a collector and therefore I do as I do.

586286612[/snapback]

A true hardcore/oldschool gamer.

P.S. props on SMW, one of the greatest games ever made :)

I seriously doubt the Revolution will have any chance of competing when it comes out (it's rumored to come out near or after the PS3).  Just look at this
You know this because the system is out already?
Only supports 480p
The majority of people in the world have standard TVs.
Wifi only
Wireless routers are $20. If you are willing to spend money on a $200+ console along with $50 games, and pay for broadband internet, you sure as hell can afford $20. Plus they are selling an extra attachment if you don't have wireless.
Why would the majority of third parties support a console at this time they know little to nothing about?
Nintendo name brand
Is this supposed to be some sort of a negative aspect of the console?
Have fun paying $5 a pop for a limited selection of old Nintendo games while I get to enjoy ALL the games that were released for free! w00t.gif

It's really cool playing them on my PSP! People are always impressed when I whip it out and start playing Sonic or Super Mario World or something laugh.gif

Wow you must be some sort of 1337 hax0r to be able to do that considering any idiot with a computer and internet connection can do the same. Your AWESOME!

And it is people like you who make it hard for the rest of us to get decently priced games when companies have to spend money on anit-piracy prevention and that cost gets pushed off on the consumer. While myself and others pay these developers\publishers to keep making games you are ripping them off. Keep up the good work! (Y)

Edited by jmole

Ok, when the PS2 and XBX came out, I really think there was still a ton of households that didn't have DVD players, so the added benefit of playing the new fangled DVD was a boon for them, but now almost everyone has something that'll play thier DVD's, so I don't think the lack of out of the box DVD playing capability will hurt Nintendo. I work in a rental store, fairly large for my town, and we stock around 200 copies of a big DVD release vs. around 10 or so on VHS, and these 10 copies on VHS aren't for people who just don't have a DVD player, they're for the people who flat out refuse to move to DVD, so they aint looking at the Xbox 360 or Revolution either for that matter. A dedicated DVD player in this country can be bought brand new for 50 dollars now adays, so if the Revolution is 50 or a 100 dollars cheaper than the competition like the Gamecube was that's more than enough extra cash to buy a stand alone DVD player or Nintendo's DVD player accessory and still come out cheaper or even.

On HDTV, what a debacle that is. There's Widescreen HDTV's and Fullscreen HDTV's, with tuners and without, a sore lack of true HDTV content, like 4 kinds of televisions, and it's only in NA. For one HDTV is only going to be big in the near future in the US and Nintendo is a Japanese company launching a system world wide. Lets be honest here, if Nintendo only sells to the Nintendo loyal and keep the same market share as they have with the 'cube they'll still make a profit. So they're not going to be hurting. Further while widescreen is greta, more people still think wide is less and want thier damn fullscreen stuff. When you try and explain, and I'm using my rental store experience here, that fullscreen is simply chopping the left and right off the widescreen version they look at me stupid and refuse to waste half thier TV. Boy, are they going to be ticked when they finally get a widescreen TV and now they have bars on the left and right on thier fancy fullscreen DVD's. Fullscreen HDTV's are selling so saying that by year x, y amount of US households will have a HDTV is misleading because some of them will only be 480P capable or display a 720p image in letterbox.

All Nintendo has to do to make a profit on the Revolution is sell it to the exact same group that bought the Gamecube, and frankly I don't see them failing that. Now granted if you buy your console to push the most amount of polygons, or voxels, or texels, then the Revolution won't be for you. If you're idea of a gamers e-penis measurement, is the maximum resolution your game console can do for you, you might feel a little inadaquet. If you just want a console to sit back an play games on, well then it's still anyones guess as to what system will be the best.

Wow you must be some sort of 1337 hax0r to be able to do that considering any idiot with a computer and internet connection can do the same. Your AWESOME! 

And it is people like you who make it hard for the rest of us to get decently priced games when companies have to spend money on anit-piracy prevention and that cost gets pushed off on the consumer.  While myself and others pay these developers\publishers to keep making games you are ripping them off.  Keep up the good work!  (Y)

586286819[/snapback]

I never said it's hard to use emulators, I said that paying money for old games on the Revolution is stupid and hardly a selling point. Second, I do buy new games, but the only thing buying old games does is encourage companies to be lazy and still make a hefty profit. It makes me sick to see Nintendo sell old Mario games on the GBA for $40 and people eat it up, so they continue to keep doing the same.

And BTW I already have four DVD players in my room (Xbox, PS2, standalone, and computer) but I still want one on my next console. Reason? I only have a limited amount of slots on my TV, and also it's easier to just use one system for everything.

And here is a reputable link that says DVD playback won't be out of the box. I have also seen it in interviews with Iwata.

I never said it's hard to use emulators, I said that paying money for old games on the Revolution is stupid and hardly a selling point.  Second, I do buy new games, but the only thing buying old games does is encourage companies to be lazy and still make a hefty profit.  It makes me sick to see Nintendo sell old Mario games on the GBA for $40 and people eat it up, so they continue to keep doing the same.
Why is it stupid that people buy old games? They are Nintendo's and third partys' damn products so they can do what they want with it. You have no right to download them illegally, it's their property.

People don't seem to have a problem buying music or movies for $30-50 made 50 years ago. Are people stupid for buying a $50 Star Wars Trilogy box set for movies released over and over again for the past 30 or so years? Or people buying 50 year old music from iTunes that have been released over and over again. Many people even own like three different versions of the same movie or greatest hits CDs, which songs they already own on other CDs. So what is the big problem with buying rereleased old games that you had owned in the past? Or what is bad about Nintendo giving people a chance to play games they have never owned before?

And here is a reputable link that says DVD playback won't be out of the box.  I have also seen it in interviews with Iwata.
I didn't even mention DVD playback in my post so I have no idea why you are mentioning it. Of course there is not going to be DVD playback out of the box, Nintendo is not part of the DVD Consortium\Forum. They need some way to pay for the licensing fee to allow DVD movie playback. Most people own DVD players and don't care for one in their console, so why should they pay extra if DVD movie functionality was included. Edited by jmole

how can he say people won't be playing on hdtvs?? they are already standard, and will be majority in like a year.?

i really really hope the games at least support 16:9...i don't want to be watching a stretched image.?

do these guys not grasp how popular hdtvs are?

586271597[/snapback]

When you see an HD tv out there when buying yourself a new tv, what does a cheap consumer want? The cheapest but biggest screen they can get (if there looking for a big screen), so obviously they are going for a non HD tv costing them a thousand or two less. The smarter consumer (a lot less of them:D), will see HD eventually becoming more popular. They might pay the extra cash but then just have their new tv sitting around with the same quality of picture as before unless they pay even more money to get HD shows each month. It is funny how many stories you here from people that return HD tv's a week or two after they got them because people say, "Nothing fancy, it looks like it did before". So even there a consumer looking for an HD tv probably thought it looked more cool than useful in the first place.

I doubt hdtv's will be the majority next year.? I work at a movie rental place and I can safely say that a good 8/10 of the people over 30 who walk in do not have hdtv's. Plus I can count 30 people off the top of my head who still don't have dvd players and are shocked and appauled that they have to get one next year since vhs is going to stop being made.

So no, I don't think hdtv's will be majority next year, but probably the year after when everyone starts to use the new blue-ray and hd-dvd formats. People will want to use these formats to their potential and will get tv's to do it then.

586272389[/snapback]

There's something I can slightly agree a little bit more with.

HD is a standard right now and WILL be a standard for this decade because the whole industry is supporting it. Probably by next year or 2007 at max, it will have an acceptance rate similar to that of DVD players right now.

586273442[/snapback]

Same comment as to my post of BroChaos' quote.

So for now at least the Revolution could be ward off the HD hecklers but down the line it may start to hurt them, but really who knows? Let's put the fighting down to a dull roar and remember, "none of the 3 next-gen consoles have been released, keep the fighting until they are all done". When you start fighting about oh console a is better than console b before they are even released, you can yell about the specs. all you want, but if the games deliver who cares?

Edited by mystic-shadow

Same comment as to my post of BroChaos' quote.

586291880[/snapback]

Unless Nintendo's roadmap has another console in 2008, I think it is a very bad idea to go without HD. I'm betting that Nintendo wants the Revolution to last atleast 5 years.

Good for you, I can already do that with my Xbox  :laugh:

I seriously doubt the Revolution will have any chance of competing when it comes out (it's rumored to come out near or after the PS3).  Just look at this

Revolution                                                 

Only supports 480p                                   

Wifi only                                                   

Nintendo name brand                                   

PS3

plays DVDs and Bluray

Supports up to 1080p

Wifi and wired ethernet

Support of nearly all 3rd parties

Sony name brand

So unless this special controller is just so incredibly amazing that no one will ever use a standard gamepad again, the Revolution has no chance  :D

586286510[/snapback]

You forgot to mention the Rev will be $200 cheaper than PS3. What looks better to a kid/parent? A $300 price tag or a $500 price tag? Also, PS3 is taking a huge gamble with Blu-ray, because with HD-DVD being right on the horizon, there is a chance Blu-Ray will not succeed.

EDIT:

Some people here never cease to amaze me. Boo hoo your $3000 TV won't look amazingly outstanding with the Rev plugged in. Is that reason enough not to buy a console? How about you look past the fact Nintendo is trying to save Joe Blue Collar money when he buys his kids the Rev, and look at the games and gaming features that Nintendo has/will have with the Revolution? I mean, since when was VIDEOGAMES less about GAMING and more about WATCHING DVDs? I have a DVD player, used for watching DVDs, I have a system used for gaming. IF you're so elitist about a console that you refuse to buy it and play its games because that it won't support your precious eye candy, go play Xbox 360.

You forgot to mention the Rev will be $200 cheaper than PS3. What looks better to a kid/parent? A $300 price tag or a $500 price tag? Also, PS3 is taking a huge gamble with Blu-ray, because with HD-DVD being right on the horizon, there is a chance Blu-Ray will not succeed.

586292194[/snapback]

And the biggest difference is one company is spending money it doesn't have and the other actually can make a system that won't have a loss for each console sold.

Some people here never cease to amaze me. Boo hoo your $3000 TV won't look amazingly outstanding with the Rev plugged in. Is that reason enough not to buy a console? How about you look past the fact Nintendo is trying to save Joe Blue Collar money when he buys his kids the Rev, and look at the games and gaming features that Nintendo has/will have with the Revolution? I mean, since when was VIDEOGAMES less about GAMING and more about WATCHING DVDs? I have a DVD player, used for watching DVDs, I have a system used for gaming. IF you're so elitist about a console that you refuse to buy it and play its games because that it won't support your precious eye candy, go play Xbox 360.

586292194[/snapback]

HDTVs are as low as $600 and even lower in some cases. Since the industry in going for the HD push, they will to hit even lower prices.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099396991028

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1099394447003

Besides you are forgetting that many people can hook up their existing LCD monitors. Ofcourse if you admit to be stubborn and turn a blind eye towards something that your favorite consoles doesnt have, then more power to you. :yes: :D

You forgot to mention the Rev will be $200 cheaper than PS3. What looks better to a kid/parent? A $300 price tag or a $500 price tag?

586292194[/snapback]

Yes, but why get a Rev? If graphics aren't important you should just get a Gamecube - they're cheaper afterall.

I've always thought Nintendo has been playing a dangerous game since they chose cheaper technology with the N64; they only look set to continue that trend, becoming less of a player with each generation. Also, the HDTV popularity arguement isn't very strong - when the PS2 first came out DVD's weren't very popular, but they helped drive the demand. I thought it strange that the Gamecube was the only console that couldn't play DVD's.

Still, I suppose the community here doesn't really represent the average gamer - most / a lot of gamers here prefer PC games, which rely heavily on better graphics, better online play, more CPU power (for features like physics), etc. To me the X360 and PS3 look like good alternatives to PC gaming... the Rev looks like a cheap imitation.

I've always thought Nintendo has been playing a dangerous game since they chose cheaper technology with the N64; they only look set to continue that trend, becoming less of a player with each generation. Also, the HDTV popularity arguement isn't very strong - when the PS2 first came out DVD's weren't very popular, but they helped drive the demand.

586292502[/snapback]

Nintendo has never been on the bleeding edge of technology with any of their consoles in their history so it is not very unusual that they are not now. I don't get what you mean less of a player this generation, considering they have the second highest software sales and are 1 million behind xbox sales, which will proably change by the end of the year.
I thought it strange that the Gamecube was the only console that couldn't play DVD's.
DVD technology was very expensive back when the consoles were first released. They didn't think it was the right time to include DVDs, but with this generation DVD technology is extremely cheap compared to 5 years ago. Since they wanted to make an afforable console ($200) the only smart thing to do is not use the technology. Also, they are not part of the DVD consortiumnum either so they would have to pay licensing fees.

Still, I suppose the community here doesn't really represent the average gamer - most / a lot of gamers here prefer PC games, which rely heavily on better graphics, better online play, more CPU power (for features like physics), etc.

586292502[/snapback]

Tru dat

How about you look past the fact Nintendo is trying to save Joe Blue Collar money when he buys his kids the Rev, and look at the games and gaming features that Nintendo has/will have with the Revolution?

586292194[/snapback]

Ok, all the 5 year olds can play the Revolution while the rest of the world spends an extra hundred dollars to get a real system :laugh:

And oh BTW the Gamecube actually had a DVD-rom (you can backup your games onto DVD and play them with a modded case) they just didn't allow you to play DVD movies.

Ok, all the 5 year olds can play the Revolution while the rest of the world spends an extra hundred dollars to get a real system  :laugh:

586292670[/snapback]

It's okay buddy, your dick won't shrink any smaller if you bought a Gamecube.

Ok, all the 5 year olds can play the Revolution while the rest of the world spends an extra hundred dollars to get a real system  :laugh:
Oh my. You are exactly what is wrong with this generation of gamers. It was much better back in the day when gaming wasn't mainstream. Now I know why I went back to strictly PC gaming after the N64 and feel like going back again.

No, I'm one of those people that think Nintendo doesn't give a damn about games anymore and just wants to make money. The gamecube was the worst out of all their consoles and now the DS is the worst of all their handhelds. Everyone always praises Nintendo because they used to be great, but they suck ass now. The only reason I even still have my gamecube is for SSBM and so I can play the next Zelda.