Windows Vista Beta 1

Can anyone please tell me what Anti-Virus & Firewall programs work with Vista Beta 1? I've tried to install Norton Internet Security 2005 (Compatibility Mode) and it dosen't lik it.

I's there a system restore like XP???

Thanks in advance.

586296951[/snapback]

If you boot off the DVD, there is an option for Vista to do a System Repair, where it trys to fix errors when the system isn't booting, if that can not find a problem then the option to do a system restore is available to you. I rebooted Vista and got a Non-Bootable/System disk error and used this function to fix the MBR.

Some screenshots attached........

post-120911-1122680384.jpgpost-120911-1122680394.jpgpost-120911-1122680406_thumb.jpgpost-120911-1122680369.jpg

586294787[/snapback]

From what i can see in your screenies, most of your network components are not working as indicated by the ? beside them. I would remove them and reinstall them. the ? is an indication that they are installed but not functioning properly

I'm trying to install Vista to VMWare 5 but no matter i do, everytime i get the same error.

I tried everything and none of them worked.

I'm using 7GB partition partitioned with XP Setup (also tried with my old Partiton Magic floppies) with 256MB RAM allocated  - tried with both WinXP and Longhorn Experimental profiles in VMWare.

I see people got installed on their VMWare's.

So what am i doing wrong ?

post-15612-1122717088.png

586296660[/snapback]

Try freeing space on c: for temp setup files (1.5-2 Gb ?), it works for me

with this error message, but it was not a VMWare installation...

Wow I'm really impressed with this beta, it runs real smooth, and starts up twice as fast as XP.

Cant wait for the final release.

Also suprised at how speedy the windows are too, I feared that the windows might lag a bit due to the transparency and visual styles, how wrong I was! The only thing I noticed was that its a bit jerky when resizing.

Also like the 3d minimise/maximise, a nice little effect, isnt too over the top like the os-x 'genie' ones which seem to stress the computer a bit!

Hey, just thought ill mention something for users with slower hardware... I just realized that by default,, almost ALL the windows services are set to automatic. This included the stupid ones like tablet pc pen service. If ya want to speed up vista, disable alott of the unneeded services..

Go to startmenu/run,,, type services.msc, double click a service and set it to disabled.

Hello I got some problems when im going to install vista.

First off im getting an error that says "Setup was unable to locate a locally attached suitable for holding tempoary setup files" And after I click ok I get an error that a file is missing. Any ideas?

"Setup was unable to locate a locally attached suitable for holding tempoary setup files"

Like i said to yodat you might check disk space on c: if you install vista on another partition and have this error message :yes:

Try freeing space on c: for temp setup files (1.5-2 Gb ?), it works for me

with this error message, but it was not a VMWare installation...

586297476[/snapback]

Is it possible to get a Nvidia Geforce FX Go5200 working with the effects? The drivers on nvidia's site don't install, I run them and they tell me that it couldn't find a driver that is compativle with my current hardware. The TweakVista program doesn't do anything either.

ANyone notice a slight lack of smoothness in video playback? It's a shame, because it prevents me from trying Vista as my main OS for a while.

In general, I find that sometimes windows and stuff moves around the screen smoothly, and sometimes not, just varies seemingly randomly. The jerkier the movement of windows, the jerkier video playback is, but video playback is never smooth. If I turn off the glass effects, everything is perfectly smooth a la a regualr Win XP install.

Is it possible to get a Nvidia Geforce FX Go5200 working with the effects? The drivers on nvidia's site don't install, I run them and they tell me that it couldn't find a driver that is compativle with my current hardware. The TweakVista program doesn't do anything either.

Yes, you can get it to work. The drivers from nvidia extract to C:\NVIDIA\ and a few dirs deeper is an inf file. It fails install, but those files are still there. Now go to the device manager, right click on your display adapter, click update. Tell it not to search any locations, and tell it you have the disk. Select the INF file in that directory, then select Geforce 5200 from the list. It will give a warning about not finding the hardware, ignore it and install anyway. Reboot and it should work! Or it will totally b0rk the install, but it worked for my Go5700 ;)

Yes, you can get it to work. The drivers from nvidia extract to C:\NVIDIA\ and a few dirs deeper is an inf file. It fails install, but those files are still there. Now go to the device manager, right click on your display adapter, click update. Tell it not to search any locations, and tell it you have the disk. Select the INF file in that directory, then select Geforce 5200 from the list. It will give a warning about not finding the hardware, ignore it and install anyway. Reboot and it should work! Or it will totally b0rk the install, but it worked for my Go5700 ;)

586298421[/snapback]

Thanks!!! I did this and it works! It's a bit jumpy, but it looks nice! :D

Edit: it was only laggy because I had "Force software D3D" enabled in TweakVista, now its as fast as ever!

Thanks!!! I did this and it works! It's a bit jumpy, but it looks nice!

Excellent! I'm glad it works for you!

I have a fairly large problem i was hoping someone could help with. As soon as i boot the first time, before explorer even really finishes loading, it crashes. Then i hit send report or whatever, it half loads... and crahses again! It does this over and over. I have never had it working, on 2 installs. I have a zd7000 laptop, and i am installing to the D partition. When i look at the event log (which finding with the new process command in task man was interesting), it says the fault was in msvcrt.dll version 7.0.5112. This is a C runtime isnt it? I dont believe thats really where the issue is if thats the case... but if anyone has any info that would help, i would be very thankful! :)

I'm trying to install Vista to VMWare 5 but no matter i do, everytime i get the same error.

I tried everything and none of them worked.

I'm using 7GB partition partitioned with XP Setup (also tried with my old Partiton Magic floppies) with 256MB RAM allocated  - tried with both WinXP and Longhorn Experimental profiles in VMWare.

I see people got installed on their VMWare's.

So what am i doing wrong ?

post-15612-1122717088.png

I found the solution after hours of search !

People who got this error from VMWare should create a fixed partiton above 8 GB (I tried with 9 GB and it worked !).

Thanks everybody who replied me :)

ANyone notice a slight lack of smoothness in video playback? It's a shame, because it prevents me from trying Vista as my main OS for a while.

In general, I find that sometimes windows and stuff moves around the screen smoothly, and sometimes not, just varies seemingly randomly. The jerkier the movement of windows, the jerkier video playback is, but video playback is never smooth. If I turn off the glass effects, everything is perfectly smooth a la a regualr Win XP install.

586298379[/snapback]

I had the same problem of lack of smoothness when moving windows in areo glass mode. I corrected it by using a different sound card driver :devil:

now it's very smooth :woot: except when i close Windows Media Player after reading some videos (it depends of the video, but the video playback is correct for now). It slows down Vista after closing the player. So i launch a video with VLC (VideoLAN player), it enters in "areo classic" mode during playback and returns to "areo glass" automatically and then Vista is smooth again :rofl:

Has anyone had any success in getting Aero Glass to run with a Quadro4 980 XGL. No lddm drivers are available and Twek Vista doesn't seem to do the trick. I want to get it running on a seconddary PC and this is frustrating.

TIA

Ditto

I had the same problem of lack of smoothness when moving windows in areo glass mode. I corrected it by using a different sound card driver  :devil:

now it's very smooth :woot: except when i close Windows Media Player after reading some videos (it depends of the video, but the video playback is correct for now). It slows down Vista after closing the player. So i launch a video with VLC (VideoLAN player), it enters in "areo classic" mode during playback and returns to "areo glass" automatically and then Vista is smooth again  :rofl:

586298652[/snapback]

Hmm, tried that, no good, still not smooth, bleh.

Hi guys, I just got Vista installed but theres a problem. Each time I log on to internet or start MSN the internet connection stops and it stops on all the computers in the house. I got ADSL connection and it never happened with XP. If I log off Vista it starts working fine again on the other computers, so its something Vista is doing.

Happened to anyone else?

I think the Play back issue is because when in XP and u pressed Print Screen u wud always get a Black Part where the vid is playin but now on Vista when i press Print Screen it takes a pic on the vid! In XP it wont do that because of Hardware Acclation or some ****! thats just wat i think anyway :shifty:

heres a pic...........

linkinpark3gr.th.png

I think the Play back issue is because when in XP and u pressed Print Screen u wud always get a Black Part where the vid is playin but now on Vista when i press Print Screen it takes a pic on the vid! In XP it wont do that because of Hardware Acclation or some ****! thats just wat i think anyway  :shifty:

heres a pic...........

linkinpark3gr.th.png

586298983[/snapback]

I think what you mean is that Vista appears not to use an overlay.

Anyone have a problem with hard locks during bootup? If so, how did you fix it? I can't even figure out how to tell what it is that's causing the lockup. Beta 1 writes so many logs I can't figure out how to find a boot log.

Anyone have a problem with hard locks during bootup?  If so, how did you fix it?  I can't even figure out how to tell what it is that's causing the lockup.  Beta 1 writes so many logs I can't figure out how to find a boot log.

586299002[/snapback]

My laptop is doing the same thing. I can't even get past it to install the damn thing.