• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mighty Mouse

Bearded Kirklander    0
Let me get this straight;

It's an optical mouse, with a scroll bar that turns in all four directions and it has a right/left click button, plus 1 button on each side.

Right?

PHE4R my Scroll Ball! :D

Essentially, it seems you are correct.

But to the apple community, going from that Apple produced 1 button mouse to an Apple produced multi-button mouse is quite a culture shift, I would think.

sn00pie    2

No, I'm not trying to make a point, I'm only asking if I'm correct. :D

Fogtripper    0

It's pretty and all, but I would be happy if a mouse manufacturere would simply produce a multi-button mouse (wired or wireless) with the ergonomics of a Logitech MouseMan, but with the dual sensors under the fingertip section rather than the center of the mouses "belly".

I prefer a mouse to do selecting, editing and so-on in Photoshop, and I have failed to find a modern mouse with the sensors "up front" where they used to be with the "ball" mice. It is sooooo much easier to control minute mouse movements with the sensors under the fingers.

Couldn't tell from the Apple site where the sensors were located underneath.

Edit:

designmouseoptical20050802.jpg

Apparently I need to keep waiting. :huh:

Edited by Fogtripper

fuzzy_logic    0

Has anyone actually tried this thing personally?

divinatum    2

Ars Technica opened this thing up, There really IS a speaker in it, prior to other reports. :D I'll be getting one soon :)

ahfunaki    0

Once it becomes BT it will be mine, oh yes...it will be mine...

Meh, only if it was wireless. I just picked up this mouse from Microsoft: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0...2&s=electronics

I can't go back to wired now pinch.gif

I had that mouse, it's wayyyyy to small for adult sized hands ( at least mine ), I sold it and bought a logitech v200, a goo amount bigger and prob gets way better battery life...

TmasterT    0
You click just like a normal mouse. The hardware inside just senses what click to perform, left or right.

586316521[/snapback]

wrong...u dont press down, so technicallty u have to LIFT UP and then press down for a click. where as for a normal mouse ur finger is resting, u just press down.

and since its touch sensitive i bet itll be less accurate to presses than a normal one

ahfunaki    0

you do press down, why wouldn't you press down?

If you didn't press down, that would mean your finger would have to hover over the button whenever you aren't clicking it...and I can't see that happening

gigapixels    99

I'd be getting this if I was using the normal Apple mouse, but I can't be torn from my MX1000...

mootymoots    0

I've got mine here and to put this to rest:

You put your finger on whichever side you want to press, LEFT or RIGHT, then CLICK down like current apple mice.

If you rest two fingers on both sides it defaults to a LEFT click. There fore you have to lift the LEFT finger to right click, but not visa-versa.

MMike6    0

went to the shop and tried it. im not that impressed. will kepp my mx700 :sleep:

Fogtripper    0
Has anyone actually tried this thing personally?

586322830[/snapback]

That's what I would like to know. By reading this thread you would think this thing jumps on your lap and...well, be better than sliced bread.

New technology can be cool and all, but the thing just doesn't sound appealing to me. I like a mouse button to have a click, even if it is a small one to let me know it has clicked. I like scroll wheels (at least the one on my Logitech) that move, rather than sliding my finger over top of a surface or tiny ball. I like my mouse to conform to my hand and not feel like a bar of soap.

Like I mentioned above, the only thing that would make me migrate to a different mouse is if a manufacturer created one with the features of a MouseMan, but had the sensors moved forward to the fingertip section.

Is the new Mac Mouse better than the bar'o soap or the "hockey puck"? Has to be. Is it more comfortable to use than what is already out there? I'll wait till we get some impartial reviews of users in here. :yes:

I've got mine here and to put this to rest:

You put your finger on whichever side you want to press, LEFT or RIGHT, then CLICK down like current apple mice.

If you rest two fingers on both sides it defaults to a LEFT click. There fore you have to lift the LEFT finger to right click, but not visa-versa.

586324459[/snapback]

So the whole body clicks down as the stock mouse does?

mootymoots    0
So the whole body clicks down as the stock mouse does?

586324664[/snapback]

yepp. exactly the same. Just touching the left or right doesnt do anything other than tell the mouse where you are ABOUT to click

kitchenutensils    0

you idiots it just senses which side of the mouse button has been clicked. this is to keep the style of a one button mouse, but the ability to just use it exactly like a two button mouse. you dont have to lift your fingers up but merely it detects which side you have pressed down. before you click it detects nothing, because no pressure has been used to click.

Fogtripper    0
you idiots it just senses which side of the mouse button has been clicked. this is to keep the style of a one button mouse, but the ability to just use it exactly like a two button mouse. you dont have to lift your fingers up but merely it detects which side you have pressed down. before you click it detects nothing, because no pressure has been used to click.

586324975[/snapback]

Decaff is your friend. :sleep:

SFNE Freak    0

586324975[/snapback]

That's not true. You should read the posts above you.

mootymoots    0

586324975[/snapback]

The mouse senses which side your finger is on, thats all. You push down like on current one click mice. To do a right click YOU HAVE TO lift your finger off the left side, otherwise it will register a default LEFT click. I'm sitting here with it...

IT DOES NOT register what side you are asserting pressure on. Those are for the 3rd and 4th buttons only. The top two buttons do not use pressure sensors, but TOUCH sensors.

MonkeyClaw    9

ok so u can not simply rest your left finger when trying to do a right click, you actually have to lift it?

mootymoots    0

yepp exactly. lets be clear.. YOU CANNOT right click if your finger is resting on the left click sensor

MonkeyClaw    9

damn, damn damn damn. i guess ill get used to it, i mean thats not too bad but i still wish they could change that.

mootymoots    0

Ive gotten used to it in an hour... its not that bad, but it all depends how you use it :)

MonkeyClaw    9

gotcha, well alas i will have to wait before i can purchase one, the apple store pilgramge for today has been postponed.

Huy    0

That's alright about the right-clicking issue. I usually lift my fingers anyway since I don't attempt to click while holding the left finger down - kind of like not keeping the brake pedal down while trying to accelerate? (ok that's not the same thing...).

My Mouse came today but I'm at uni. I couldn't get it yesterday because I was at uni while they tried to deliver it. Hope it arrives when I get home.

Bearded Kirklander    0
That's alright about the right-clicking issue. I usually lift my fingers anyway since I don't attempt to click while holding the left finger down - kind of like not keeping the brake pedal down while trying to accelerate? (ok that's not the same thing...).

My Mouse came today but I'm at uni. I couldn't get it yesterday because I was at uni while they tried to deliver it. Hope it arrives when I get home.

I still think it's cool looking. I hope you enjoy the mouse once you get to use it.

I'm a trackball user, so I guess that little scroll ball thing makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to trying one out just for fun.

Chad    0
yepp exactly. lets be clear.. YOU CANNOT right click if your finger is resting on the left click sensor

586326028[/snapback]

That's not exactly true. An excerpt from the Ars review:

Some readers have brought up the question of whether you are able to right-click while still physically touching the left side of the mouse. The answer to that question is "sort of." As it turns out, the top part of the shell is touch sensitive to a point, which was not immediately obvious to me upon first blush. I tested right-clicking with varying degrees of skin contact on the left side of the mouse and you can't be touching it "too much" on the left side before the right click gives up and you're now left clicking. Of course, the mouse works most predictably when you hover your index finger (if you are right-handed) above the mouse as you right-click with your middle or ring fingers, which is apparently what I do naturally but some other users do not. The line at which the threshold is drawn is rather blurry and it's hard to really know exactly how much touching is too much. The only clear solution I have for this is to recommend going down to an Apple Store in person to try it out and determine whether your subtle mousing habits will make this work for you or not.

It's clear you CAN be touching with both fingers. The weight/amount of touch is the question.