• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Mighty Mouse

IsaacBoy    0
Apple offers a standard wired Apple Keyboard and Mouse with all iMac G5 models. Options include upgrading to the Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mouse for a totally wireless experience. If desired, also choose a keyboard in other languages offered.

Taken from apples store when purchasing an iMac G5

PureLogic    0

Yeah thanks, I really doubted the fact that Apple would ship Mighty Mouse with new Macs for "free".

mootymoots    0

An update from me...

The Mighty Mouse I bought last week is going back to the store today. I dont know if I got a dud, but my pointer has a habit of racing around the screen randomly. It'll be in the middle then all of a sudden it will race to a corner of the screen. Its like this on my MacMini and my PC.

Anyone else had this, or have I got a dud here?

Also noted: I installed the Mighty Mouse software on my MacMini. After putting in my old 2 button mouse, the extra buttons operate like the Mighty Mouse, it clicking the scroll wheel brings up dashboard etc... I just cant configure them unless I have the Mighty Mouse plugged in... interesting for some people perhaps?

enklus    0
An update from me...

The Mighty Mouse I bought last week is going back to the store today. I dont know if I got a dud, but my pointer has a habit of racing around the screen randomly. It'll be in the middle then all of a sudden it will race to a corner of the screen. Its like this on my MacMini and my PC.

586359847[/snapback]

I've got the standard apple mouse and the same happens with me. The pointer goes crazy on me.. Don't know if it's the mouse - started two-three weeks ago.

michael.b    0

I received my mouse today.

What can I say? I think it's great for the scroll features, however with the right click... have I finally transitioned into the world of Mac completely? Because, I find myself actually Ctrl+Clicking instead of using the actual right click on the mouse. I would have thought that I would have been right on top of the right clicking from the get go, seeing that it is something that has become so standard, having been used to it for so many years.

I don't find it too much a hassle to lift one finger off of the mouse and the journalist from WSJ can lick my _ _ _ _. I think one just has to laugh at people who make a big deal out of it, sorry to all of you I might be offending--but I just have to giggle when people actually make lifting one finger such a hassle. Since it's the least you can ask of your body. I mean, I can understand the counter argument that other technologies exist, that beat out the current model of the mighty mouse, based on preference of users. I won't knock you. (Since I am more acceptable, seeing how many cringe at the fact of being a Mac-user alone.)

But, I've become comfortable using the Mighty Mouse without any problems as of yet. I do admit, I do have to think a little when it comes to clicking, but I don't blame that on any finger lifting, but rather I blame it on habit of hitting Ctrl+Clicking. One of the things I have told friends that is great about the Mac is voicing how proficient I have become in applications such as Microsoft Word due to all the shorthand commands I know without having to navigate through the menus. Control+Click, even though it is necessary to move one hand off the keyboard, irregardless, I think is one of those things.

So, I'll give it a thumbs up, but for the standard two-button user, I don't think this will satisfy you as much as it would a more-native user of the one button mouse in conjunction with the Mac OS.

San Diego    0

Mike Davidson has a great article about this on his site: LINK

MonkeyClaw    9
An update from me...

Also noted: I installed the Mighty Mouse software on my MacMini. After putting in my old 2 button mouse, the extra buttons operate like the Mighty Mouse, it clicking the scroll wheel brings up dashboard etc... I just cant configure them unless I have the Mighty Mouse plugged in... interesting for some people perhaps?

586359847[/snapback]

it does that to me to but on both my old black and clear apple pro mouse and my white and clear apple pro mouse. the white and clear doesnt do it nearly as much as the black one but it does do it. so i really have no idea why but i wished it would get fixed, kinda annoying especially when it happens like dragging something.

mootymoots    0
it does that to me to but on both my old black and clear apple pro mouse and my white and clear apple pro mouse.  the white and clear doesnt do it nearly as much as the black one but it does do it.  so i really have no idea why but i wished it would get fixed, kinda annoying especially when it happens like dragging something.

586361191[/snapback]

Well i tried it last night before taking it back without a mouse mat and had absolutely no problems. Its definately a surface problem. Im using it on a non-shiny wood surface at the moment, but will be trying it on a matt black mouse mat later.

My guess its something to do with shiny surfaces as my original mouse mat was slightly shiny causing it to jump everywhere... Who knows!

MonkeyClaw    9
Well i tried it last night before taking it back without a mouse mat and had absolutely no problems. Its definately a surface problem. Im using it on a non-shiny wood surface at the moment, but will be trying it on a matt black mouse mat later.

My guess its something to do with shiny surfaces as my original mouse mat was slightly shiny causing it to jump everywhere... Who knows!

586364710[/snapback]

thats w hat i was thinking but im not sure now. it has come to my attention that when it moves to the corner of the screen, its stuck there, and u have to pick the mouse back up to get it to move again. im not using a mouse pad on this desk and its sort of shinny so i might try a mouse pad but i was getting the feeling that it was software, but i dont know so ill test a mouse pad.

John S.    359

Mine just arrived via FedEx. My first impression is that the thing is way too small. But after using an Intellimouse they're vastly different in shape. I'll give it a few days to see if I can get used to it or end up selling it.

Deron Dantzler    0

I've got a Mighty Mouse, and it's real cool but it still needs some work I think. I'd like to see the scroll wheel moved a little further towards the top of the mouse. I notice that in order to use the side buttons for expose I have to drop my hand down to use the scroll wheel. I'd rather be able to use all buttons with no repositioning of my hand.

I also notice that it keeps wanting to right click on me even though I'm trying to get my left click on. The only way to really avoid this from happening occassionally is to click with both fingers at the same time for a left click (depress both sides).

It's just taking some getting used to, but I do like it way better than the standard Apple mouse.

DirtyLarry    2,097

I just got mine delivered about 5 minutes ago.

The first OS I really used, meaning my own computer (and not counting whatever OS Commodore 64's used LOL) was System 7. Then around the time of OS 9 I also became a cross platform user, with Windows 98 I guess it had to bem or maybe it was still 95.

Anyway, I cannot count how many mice I have had over the years with my own digits I seriously think. From the first few months I did use an Apple One Button Mouse because I didnt know any better, to then purchasing my when I bought myself a MS IntelliMouse while still only using a Mac, to the mice that come with Wacom tablets, to the stupid little laptop mouse I bought for my Powerbook G3, all the way to the present where I use my MX1000 Ion my Windows comp and an MX700 on my mac, my point in sharing my history is I have used and tried alot of mice.

I am going to hook my Mighty Mouse up in a little while. Then I am going to use it for a good amount of time, at least a few days.

I will then come back and post my feelings and opinion as a Mouse User on both platforms, not just as a Mac user who is happy that Apple finally woke up and dropped such an outdated concept of a one button mouse, something they should have done so many years ago.