Mighty Mouse

That's not exactly true.? An excerpt from the Ars review:

It's clear you CAN be touching with both fingers.? The weight/amount of touch is the question.

586328775[/snapback]

If that's true mine's broken.

In fact if I hover the fingers just above the left 'button' area without actually touching and click by pushing the right button with my right hand it still counts as a left click. I have to make it a point to lift my finger off the left click area in order to 'right-click'.

EDIT:

It seems that if I start the click motion with a finger on each side then it will count as a left click even if you remove one half way through the motion.

on the other hand if you have 1 finger on right click when you start the motion and add a second finger on the other side mid-way through it will still register the right click.

It's hard to explain but at least with mine I cannot be touch both sides of the mouse if I want to right click.

That's not exactly true.  An excerpt from the Ars review:

It's clear you CAN be touching with both fingers.  The weight/amount of touch is the question.

586328775[/snapback]

Sure, but I think its obvious that to get a guarenteed right click you really need to be hitting the right side with left finger off. I would say most users rest their fingers on the buttons with an equal amount of finger area on each...? who knows!

Just got home. Installed the mouse drivers and it's working great. Just getting used to the two-side sensors and activating Expose. Mouse scrollball is excellent in all directions. Surprisingly easy to use (fasttracking/scrolling speed). Good mouse!

Excuse the sweaty palmrests/keyboard.

post-4491-1123234477_thumb.jpg

post-4491-1123234511_thumb.jpg

Just got back from the Regent street store in london, and plugged in the MM on my Powerbook.

Excellent mouse! I currently use a combination of the track pad and a Logitech MX1000, and this mouse i feel works better on the Mac platform.

The scroll ball, which is why i mainly brought the mouse, works really well in photoshop. Allowing you to quickly navigate around an image.

The squeeze option (which i have left for Expose) works really well, as does the pressing of the scroll ball to bring up the dashboard.

Of course being apple the box is well designed (for a mouse box) and the build quality of the mouse is very high.

Some web sites have said that the right mouse button is a little hard to use, but ive had no probs with it yet. Every button can be reconfigured for another use, including the left and right click buttons/sensors

I will jump on the band wagon and say it would have been nice to have the option of a wireless bluetooth edition of the mouse.

Just got back from the Regent street store in london, and plugged in the MM on my Powerbook.

Excellent mouse! I currently use a combination of the track pad and a Logitech MX1000, and this mouse i feel works better on the Mac platform.

The scroll ball, which is why i mainly brought the mouse, works really well in photoshop. Allowing you to quickly navigate around an image.

The squeeze option (which i have left for Expose) works really well, as does the pressing of the scroll ball to bring up the dashboard.

Of course being apple the box is well designed (for a mouse box) and the build quality of the mouse is very high.

Some web sites have said that the right mouse button is a little hard to use, but ive had no probs with it yet. Every button can be reconfigured for another use, including the left and right click buttons/sensors 

I will jump on the band wagon and say it would have been nice to have the option of a wireless bluetooth edition of the mouse.

586332131[/snapback]

some people are saying that in order to "right-click" you must first remove your finger(s) from the entire left side of the mouse, and then "click" the right side... I find this really hard to believe because it would make the mouse so highly unusable. Can you confirm or deny this claim?

some people are saying that in order to "right-click" you must first remove your finger(s) from the entire left side of the mouse, and then "click" the right side... I find this really hard to believe because it would make the mouse so highly unusable. Can you confirm or deny this claim?

586336744[/snapback]

You do, but it's not exactly something you have to spend a lot of time thinking about.

When you press down with your middle finger your index finger automatically lifts enough to make it work.

You do, but it's not exactly something you have to spend a lot of time thinking about.

When you press down with your middle finger your index finger automatically lifts enough to make it work.

586336900[/snapback]

i was thinking about getting one but after that i doubt i will

The cord isn't even that long... enough for an iBook or PB but I'm guessing Apple wants you to use it via the keyboard/USB hub. I've tried using it with my PC (back of the case, USB ports) but the cord is way too short to go around my desk and up onto the benchtop.

The cord isn't even that long... enough for an iBook or PB but I'm guessing Apple wants you to use it via the keyboard/USB hub. I've tried using it with my PC (back of the case, USB ports) but the cord is way too short to go around my desk and up onto the benchtop.

586338961[/snapback]

I noticed that too whilst I was in the apple store in regent street. Very annoying I conccur

I dunno, man. I'm pretty darn used to letting my left finger rest on the mouse button while I right click.

Not sure I want to have to re-learn how to do that, no matter how cool the thing is.

Looks like Anand had the same concern:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2488

On my Logitech MX1000, when I'd right click, I'd have my index finger resting on the left mouse button.  There was no reason to lift my index finger because my middle finger was doing all of the work at that point, clicking the right mouse button.  And when I needed to left click, my middle finger remained idle while the index finger did its duty.  This is the way most mice work, and most importantly, it doesn't confuse the user; right clicking feels like right clicking because your index finger is on the left mouse button and you can tell that it isn't moving when you right click. 

Doing the same on Apple's Mighty Mouse not only feels weird, but it isn't exactly possible to do without producing a very different outcome.  The Mighty Mouse is no different than Apple's regular mouse from a mechanical standpoint, so regardless of what side of the mouse on which you're pushing down, the whole surface of the mouse clicks.  So, if you happen to have both fingers on the mouse and attempt to right click, it tends to bring about a bit of confusion (you're trying to right-click, but the finger with the job of left clicking moves down as well.  It's an uncomfortable and momentarily confusing feeling, but at the same time, if you're feeling it, then you're using the mouse incorrectly.

Since there aren't two physical buttons on the mouse, left and right clicks are determined by the side of the mouse that you are touching.  So, if your index finger is slightly touching the left side of the mouse when you go to "right click", the click won't register as a right click; instead, it will default to a left click.  That fact alone was what took the most getting used to for me.  At first, I blamed the mouse, but then I quickly realized that all of the times when the right mouse clicks weren't registering, my index finger was resting peacefully on the left side of the mouse - even when I didn't think it was. 

The solution is simple, although a bit annoying for conventional 2-button mouse users: whenever you go to "right click", just lift your index finger off the surface of the mouse.  You have to completely remove your index finger from the surface of the mouse in order to guarantee a right click; otherwise, you'll get a left click.  Of course, if you already do this, then it doesn't take any adjusting. But for me, it was the steepest part of the Mighty Mouse learning curve.

Once you have that down, right clicking seems natural, mainly because your index finger isn't around to feel that it isn't exactly natural.  If you remember to keep your index finger out of the way, you can right click anywhere to the right of the mouse ball.  You can actually click below and to the right of the scroll ball and still generate a right click. 

hey sorry i realised since that u do have to raise ur fingers for the right mouse button, i was rude because i was tired and not thinking straight (lol i do try to have friends)

I'll buy one to test it out, but I'm sure it'll take some effort to get used to.

After using single-button mice for such a long time I've gotten used to pressing where the right side button would be to produce a left click. I usually have my left finger off the mouse, click with my fingers on the right side and expect a left-click to register. If I did the same with a two-button mouse I'd be right-clicking all over the place. :p

hey sorry i realised since that u do have to raise ur fingers for the right mouse button, i was rude because i was tired and not thinking straight (lol i do try to have friends)

We can all have bad days once in a while.

Thankfully the moderators seem pretty relaxed and understanding about it. :)

I'll buy one to test it out, but I'm sure it'll take some effort to get used to.

After using single-button mice for such a long time I've gotten used to pressing where the right side button would be to produce a left click. I usually have my left finger off the mouse, click with my fingers on the right side and expect a left-click to register. If I did the same with a two-button mouse I'd be right-clicking all over the place. :p

586341593[/snapback]

I wonder if this will be a problem with this mouse and mac only users. They Have been with one button forever and now there are two.

got mine yesterday and i love it. Using it on a KVM switch with my mac and PC works great on Counter Strike:source :)

Does anybody know for a fact if new Macs ship with the new Mighty Mouse or not? Because some people here say they do but the Apple site says this:

post-91325-1123504744.png

it seems as thought the Mac Mini is the only system that offersan option to choose the mighty mouse when configuring it. Hope that helps