• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 97 - Wtf? ? ?

emale_tart    0

Right so first week of college and im already hit with this bombshell, now according to this blonde lecturer, not only does Windows 97 exist , but she has a copy of it.

So why am I the only person it seems thats never heard of it... of course '98 was due out in '97 but it was held back....

So I need you guys help - did this actually exist or has my lecturer been sniffing glue again ?

Dave

samg    2

can a mod move this to "windows 97 discussion" please ?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

No such thing.

ecotrojan    11

please ask your teacher to stop taking the drugs.

They are making her mind into mush.

on topic. never heard off windows 97. Was there an Office 97?

CheeseFart    0

it was a modified version of windows. there was a windows 96 alpha/beta but it was never made final

rickm550    0

I remember on a front cover of PC PRO back in the days it had a Windows 97 preview BUT obviously it was never made - that was Windows 98.

Yes there was also an Office 97 out at that time

akaladis    1
not only does Windows 97 exist , but she has a copy of it.

586499244[/snapback]

Would it be too much to ask to see it :p

Colin-uk    134

shes been watching too much CNN :rofl:

TheTerminator    0

ahaha, windows 97, thats crazy. Tell her to bring in her copy.

ToneKnee    300
Right so first week of college and im already hit with this bombshell, now according to this blonde lecturer, not only does Windows 97 exist , but she has a copy of it.

So why am I the only person it seems thats never heard of it... of  course '98 was due out in '97 but it was held back....

So I need you guys help - did this actually exist or has my lecturer been sniffing glue again ?

Dave

586499244[/snapback]

Make the bimbo cough it up. Tell her to show you this copy! :p

msntrev    0

me wants a copy of this windows 97!lol

you lecturer def needs to stop sniffing the glue!

You kids must be right sh*ts if shes already sniffing glue in the first week back!lol j/k

NightmarE D    203

She doesn't have a copy seeing how it doesn't exist. Technically it did but it's now called Windows 98 final. Your teacher is on crack, pcp, crunk juice and weed. Ask to see her copy and see what she says

hrcs    0

Windows 97 was really Windows 95 OSR2 but the pirates dubbed it as Windows 97. I had a copy of it and it really said Windows 97 on the cover but when you install it it was really Windows 95 OSR2 an update to the first Windows 95.

Morgan    1

LOL That's too funny, where the hell she'd get her degree?! McDonalds?

• Like 1

Symbiotic Hat    1

Windows 97 was a planned release as a step up from Win 95 but it was never released. It just became Windows 98.

CheeseFart    0

i have windows 93

grid001    0

bahahahahaa oh man thats some fun ****e

MerlinTheCat    0

Typical user thing to say. When i worked on a helpdesk people were forever saying stuff like my windows 97 has stopped working, obviously getting windows and office 97 very mixed up.

also, please to meet you guys, great site/forum!!!

f0rbez    0
Windows 97 was really Windows 95 OSR2 but the pirates dubbed it as Windows 97. I had a copy of it and it really said Windows 97 on the cover but when you install it it was really Windows 95 OSR2 an update to the first Windows 95.

586499307[/snapback]

:yes:

According to the Windows Timeline, the 95 OSR 2.x's were released in 97 just before 98 beta and final came out. Thats probably what she has. But tell her that she's a n00b pirate anyway.

msntrev    0

Windows 97 = What Windows 98 was to be named, when it was expected in 1997

Source

ThisSiteHasLostItsCharm    263

I thought win97 was real, i remember reading that several million or thousands copies were produced but it was dumped in favor of win98 and the copies were destroyed, i assume what i read was either my imagination or bs.

f0rbez    0
Typical user thing to say. When i worked on a helpdesk people were forever saying stuff like my windows 97 has stopped working, obviously getting windows and office 97 very mixed up.

also, please to meet you guys, great site/forum!!!

586499315[/snapback]

Yeah, one more reason they have to ditch the year titles for good. How the hell can you help them if they don't even know what OS they have. :blink:

NightmarE D    203

When CNN got nailed with that worm recently didn't the guy on screen say something like:

We recommend users of Windows 97,98 and 2000 to update

I think I saw it on a thread here...that was hilarious and shows how much he knows

thejohnnyq    50

There was never a real copy made tagged Windows 97. I have been a best tester since 87, and what she is talking about is code name Chicago, and the trade rag now known as eWeek, dubbed it Windows 97. The original release date was in 97, but that was at the first projected release date. The product became known as Windows98, Bill Gates refused to all the press to name the product, and pointed out that why would anyone want to buy a new OS call Windows 97, in Mid 98?

I have seen several 'hacked versions' that are one CD, using the Newer logo, printed on the CD, and labeled as beta. MS never released anything with the Windows 97, and even told the beta testers not to call it that. They are being sold as collectors items, (fakes are making a lot of money for someone).

Ask her to produce the product, pointing downloading it from Bit Torrent doesn't make it legit.

I have seen betas of Win98 relabeled Win97, and even seen someone modify the installer to use win97 instead of windows. I have also seen the win95 releases as win97, and even saw a dual disk, Windows97/Office97.

_Pablo    0
There was never a real copy made tagged Windows 97.  I have been a best tester since 87, and what she is talking about is code name Chicago, and the trade rag now known as eWeek, dubbed it Windows 97.

586499348[/snapback]

Chicago was Windows 95.

Memphis was Windows 98.

wv@gt    2,354

Also ask her if she has a copy of windows 99. :whistle: