Windows 97 - Wtf? ? ?

She doesn't have a copy seeing how it doesn't exist. Technically it did but it's now called Windows 98 final. Your teacher is on crack, pcp, crunk juice and weed. Ask to see her copy and see what she says

586499299[/snapback]

Windows 97 was released but used as a marketing technique. It was basically Windows 95b which has heaps of hot fixes included with it. A lot of stores named it Windows 97, basically because it was released in 97 and it was newer then the original Windows 95. But it was not changed to the title of Windows 97 at all. It would still, and always has been called Windows 95b so yes, your lector is right, but not that right lol.

586499390[/snapback]

I am not sure what you guys are smoking and the rest who make reference to this but Bink is a fair authority as regards most things microsoft and here are few code names

Snowball: Windows for Workgroups 3.11 Version 3.11

Chicago: Windows 95 Version 4.0

Frosting: Windows 95 PlusPack!

Knoxville Short-lived codename for Microsoft? Windows? 95 refresh release ("close to Nashville").

Detroit: Windows 95 OSR 2 Version 4.0b

Nashville: Originated as Windows 96. "True Web Integration" technology. Web based shell for Windows. Designed as a new version of Windows but finally available as Internet Explorer 4 "Desktop Update" for Windows 95 and NT and integrated in next versions. (NOT IE4 itself!) Version 4.0

Memphis: Windows 98 Version 4.1

Neptune: Planned successor of Windows 98 Cancelled.

Newshell: Alpha shell update for NT3.x

Millennium, Georgia?: Windows ME Version 4.9

Panther: Port of Windows NT Win32 core to run on top of Cougar. Subsequently abandoned and replaced with Chicago.

Cougar: 32-bit protect-mode MS-DOS kernel. Planned to serve as the kernel for major Windows release (see No Name Cat). Subsequently merged with Jaguar and Stimpy (but not Panther) to become Chicago.

Jaguar: Retail implementation of Cougar (DOS 7.00). Major features included more powerful and consistent command-line options, improved NLS support, Flash Memory Filesystem, etc. Subsequently merged with Cougar and Stimpy (but not Panther) to become Chicago.

Edited by toejam

I want to get windows 1. Do you know a place to download it?

586791245[/snapback]

No version of Windows is available for free, so, you are, in effect asking about piracy.

Consider this, at the end of 1997 (November 1997 in fact), Windows 95C OSR2.5 was released, so it was never to be Windows 97

It's very well documented on many sites, here's an interesting timeline...

http://www.levenez.com/windows/history.html#10

And some old web site called NeoWin has it's own timeline:

https://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=...age=1&pagenum=1

There was a conversion package you could get to rebrand virtually every aspect of the OS to say Windows 97. I had it merged with a windows 95 osr2.5 cd and all my friends thought i was soooo leet. it had the shaded titlebars, and some other stuff. oh those were the days.... changing my boot screen every day and having different shut down screens.

it may be possible that her install has windows 97 all over the place but it was never a legit release of windows. It was a name used by pirates at the time as well as a thing you could hack your system to say so your friends thought you were mad leet.

lol still lots more references through the college handouts referring to Windows '97 .

(P.s. as a side note - is it common for college network security to be almost non existant? I was absoloutly appauled when I had a look at what information is available through the network, and am making a report on it... just wanted some feedback)

• 2 months later...

There is Mircosoft Windows 97

there is Mircosoft Windows 99

http://free.linkos.bg/details.php?id=23781

and there is Mircosoft Windows 96

You can find a lot of information ing google for 96 97 and 99

I had win 97 and 99 copies.

You can download these versions in the old free servers , or in the big DC++ hubs

They're alphas/betas/before the name changes.

Typical user thing to say. When i worked on a helpdesk people were forever saying stuff like my windows 97 has stopped working, obviously getting windows and office 97 very mixed up.

also, please to meet you guys, great site/forum!!!

Who was it on CNN who kept referring to Windows 99?

:laugh:

Microsoft Windows 97 went into Beta back in the day. It was held up, and no point releasing Windows 97 in 1998.

So she may well have a beta of 97

A female blonde computer science university lecturer? Boy that sentence is a great example of an oxymoron. As a matter of fact it is made up of words that you never see together. Tell me what University you're going to so I can sign up. Not that I think you're lying. But if you find a credible blonde in the field of computer science and the gender is female, let me know, becuase I have not come accross such being.

Oh this old arguement again.

1) The beta's of 98 were NOT called 97.

2) There was no official 97 release.

3) A lot of people confuse Office and Windows - hence people claiming they have Windows 97.

4) A LOT of pirate disks came out called Windows 97 - which was Windows 95 OSR2 and a few bits of crap.

"and a few bits of crap"

like usb Supplement to OSR2 and stuff...

Microsoft Windows 95 SR-2 USB Supplement

This fix will allow Windows 95 SR-2 machines to correctly identify and install Universal Serial Bus (USB) adapters. Please note do NOT install this if you are running Windows 95 A.

File Download Size: 964K

Microsoft Windows 95 Service Pack 1 Update

Windows DLC Protocol Driver Update

Windows Messaging for Windows 95

Internet Mail Service for Windows 95

Windows 95 Win32 Kernel Core Component Update

Microsoft OLE Update

Windows 95 Client for Microsoft Networks Update

Windows Infrared Driver 2.0

http://www.activewin.com/faq/faq_1.shtml

Q: There are a few stores I see selling software called "Windows 97". What are they?

A: These "Windows 97", are actually pirated copies of OSR2. To promote their software, software pirates call it "Windows 97" to attract people. However there are also software pirates who call OSR2 "Windows 95 August Release" or "Windows 95 version 2". Do not be fooled. The genuine OSR2 will be called "Windows 95 OEM Service Release 2".

• 2 weeks later...

Oh this old arguement again.

1) The beta's of 98 were NOT called 97.

2) There was no official 97 release.

3) A lot of people confuse Office and Windows - hence people claiming they have Windows 97.

4) A LOT of pirate disks came out called Windows 97 - which was Windows 95 OSR2 and a few bits of crap.

Yes! Just like in China i think it is, you can get XP 2006 disks. Its all wrong. Just take a look at the MS roadmap and you will see exactly what has been released, what is going to be released and when.

This was pretty much gussing that there was going to be a 07 release. There does not seem to be any significant proof that it was deffinatly going to or was released.

if we can get past the mysoginist ideals, I'd like to point out that microsoft runs alot of alpha and beta builds simultaneously; for example, they're still running blackcomb in preparation for their line of OS after Vista...95 is no different. during that time there would have alot of projects that were never made publicly aware that would have been tested and even released on a limited basis to MSCE's: examples would be manhattan, neptune...in this case, she could be referring to windows bob....what is generally regarded to be a precursor to the windows xp we've all come to know and love. Just because you've never heard of it, don't assume it doesn't exist