Windows 97 - Wtf? ? ?

Windows 97 was released but used as a marketing technique. It was basically Windows 95b which has heaps of hot fixes included with it. A lot of stores named it Windows 97, basically because it was released in 97 and it was newer then the original Windows 95. But it was not changed to the title of Windows 97 at all. It would still, and always has been called Windows 95b so yes, your lector is right, but not that right lol.

AHAHAHAHAH - Thank you very much you lot for your quick help, I showed her your answers and she took me aside and said "Oh it must be great being so ****ing smart"

How I laughed!!!

1-0 to me then :D

AHAHAHAHAH - Thank you very much you lot for your quick help, I showed her your answers and she took me aside and said "Oh it must be great being so ****ing smart"

How I laughed!!!

586499933[/snapback]

"No, it's pretty ****ing bad having to correct my lecturer in the first week." would have been a suitable response.

How I laughed!!!

586499933[/snapback]

hahaha

nice going. :yes: :D

Yeah, it was Win95b, and it was the first MS OS to ship with USB support. I remember having to use it to test some products where I work was developing ... that portion was buggy as hell.

It was never sold at retail, MS only released it to the OEMs

please ask your teacher to stop taking the drugs.

586499257[/snapback]

:laugh:

Typical user thing to say. When i worked on a helpdesk people were forever saying stuff like my windows 97 has stopped working, obviously getting windows and office 97 very mixed up.

also, please to meet you guys, great site/forum!!!

586499315[/snapback]

Welcome to Neowin, MerlinTheCat ... :D

I do happen to have Windows 97 that I found in Hong Kong many years ago. I didn't put much thought into it since I thought it was just normal Win95 but pirates renamed it to Win97,

Windows 97 was really Windows 95 OSR2 but the pirates dubbed it as Windows 97. I had a copy of it and it really said Windows 97 on the cover but when you install it it was really Windows 95 OSR2 an update to the first Windows 95.

586499307[/snapback]

thats right, i had a "copy" of it.....nothing more than Win95OSR2

Right so first week of college and im already hit with this bombshell, now according to this blonde lecturer, not only does Windows 97 exist , but she has a copy of it.

So why am I the only person it seems thats never heard of it... of  course '98 was due out in '97 but it was held back....

So I need you guys help - did this actually exist or has my lecturer been sniffing glue again ?

Dave

586499244[/snapback]

There was an office 97

It was the beta name for Win98. Some pirated stores actually had the beta CDs with "Windows 97" labels. Microsoft has a bad tendacy of never being on time. 95 was announced to be "soon" in 93, Windows 1.0 was announced in 81-2 and released in 84!

Chicago was Windows 95.

Memphis was Windows 98.

586499371[/snapback]

I thought it was the other way around. I'm pretty sure Win 95 was Memphis and i'm not sure about 98.

Typical user thing to say. When i worked on a helpdesk people were forever saying stuff like my windows 97 has stopped working, obviously getting windows and office 97 very mixed up.

also, please to meet you guys, great site/forum!!!

586499315[/snapback]

Woah! Member since December 04 and only 1 post! Crazy! :laugh:

Anyway, tell your teacher to lay off the crack/weed/coke/drugs/bit torrent/kazaa/etc.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS WINDOWS 97! :shifty: