• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 97 - Wtf? ? ?

NightmarE D    203
I thought it was the other way around. I'm pretty sure Win 95 was Memphis and i'm not sure about 98.

Nope cuz I remember that hidden easter egg in 98 where you had to drag the mouse on the time zone map and drag it from Memphis to Redmond or some crap.

I remember seeing very early screenshots of 95 in some magazines and the screens said Chicago.

Thread Closed.

Everyone is repeating themselves. Dejavu all over again.

ummm....I don't see Moderator under your ID so don't come into a thread saying it's closed as if you are one. Don't like the thread then SHUSH

andy2004    1

is she hot though ? :D

emale_tart    0

Right am still here - first off no shes not hot ! lol otherwise i would have kept mouth shut.

Second - I'm uploading some cam pics of my booklet which asks about it ;) (just to prove it wasnt a typo it was also on the OHP - which i dont have pics of), as soon as i get my webcam reinstalled :(

Third - I feel like crying - my router and fx5600 broke within 2 days - PISH!

BRB - installing cams then you can have chuckleworthy pics :p

Dave

Person    0

This reminds me of the time when someone told me they had Windows 99 at home!

virtuous    0
I thought it was the other way around. I'm pretty sure Win 95 was Memphis and i'm not sure about 98.

586508973[/snapback]

Windows 97 Indead exist, Obviously it was between 95 and 98, It was a better version of windows 95 with some visual improvments (slide menus, etc) and the code name was

Windows Nashville. I hope this info helps.

Rigby    1,577
Windows 97 Indead exist, Obviously it was between 95 and 98, It was a better version of windows 95 with some visual improvments (slide menus, etc) and the code name was

Windows Nashville. I hope this info helps.

That info doesn't help because it's wrong. There was no Windows 97, and there was no release between 95 and 98 other than the 95 service releases. Windows 98 was expected to be named Windows 97 when it was being developed but due to delays it became Windows 98. The Windows 98 code name was Memphis. Code name Nashville was the web update technology that was included in Internet Explorer 4; it updated the Windows 95 interface with all the web related stuff like single clicking, active desktop, etc.

Klethron    5

Wasn't "Memphis" the codename and then they pushed it back and it eventually became Windows 98? Maybe there was an alpha build or something that said "97" in it or something.

Rigby    1,577

There were some magazine articles that talked about the upcoming Windows 97, but there were no releases that had that name. The betas all said Code Name Memphis up until the Windows 98 name was put in. There are some fakes floating around that say Windows 97 but obviously those don't count. :)

Here are some screenshots of early Windows 98 startup screens: Beta 1 Beta 3

Edited by TRC

Klethron    5
There were some magazine articles that talked about the upcoming Windows 97, but there were no releases that had that name. The betas all said Code Name Memphis up until the Windows 98 name was put in. There are some fakes floating around that say Windows 97 but obviously those don't count. :)

Here are some screenshots of early Windows 98 startup screens: Beta 1 Beta 3

586558566[/snapback]

Its settled then :)

Rigby    1,577

Link to the main page, has screenshots from all the Windows 98 builds (and other versions of Windows if you select from the list over on the left)

Windows 98 Codename Memphis

jimmy_jazz    50

Windows 97 belongs to the same parallel universe this OS belongs....

googleOS.jpg

buzlink    3

I remember this as well.

I remember it being some hybrid version of 95.

I remember that with IE update and few other findings on the net you could get 95 OSR2 (is that what it was called?) to be like 97. Many people referred to updated 95 as Windows 97. I remember an old WP as well.

Sticktron    0

There's a saying: Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach.

skorpian    0
Link fo you, tells you the code names of windows :)

http://www.phm.lu/Documentation/Windows/Codenames.asp

95/98 are towards the bottom.

586509474[/snapback]

"Galaxy

Xbox + Windows XP Media Center combo

Xbox with Media Center shell, never made it to an actual product"

One of my first posts is off topic ^_^

My Xbox has a Media Center shell :blink:

But yea my teacher was an idiot too.

When we started learning word ("officially" anyway) the guy had to call in someone to help him save the file...

...Thank god my new computing teacher isn't that stupid...

jimmsta    0

Windows 97 is probably in reference to Nashville, which was never released, but ended up partially as Windows 95c. I have a copy of Nashville, and it is basically Windows 95 with IE on steroids.

os2fan2    0

The other possibility is that it is a reference to _office_97_. I have seen this in the past, where people confuse windows and offis.

+Mirumir    5,635
Windows 97 was really Windows 95 OSR2 but the pirates dubbed it as Windows 97. I had a copy of it and it really said Windows 97 on the cover but when you install it it was really Windows 95 OSR2 an update to the first Windows 95.

586499307[/snapback]

exactly. It was update when they introduced FAT32

os2fan2    0

The various betas for the Win95 OSR/2 that i have describe it as Win96, not Win97.

I suspect the problem us that it's more being confused with office 97, since i seen the windows/office confusion being made several times in my time.

zinker    0

hi

what is she teaching you ??

if computer you'd better drop the corse.ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Leo Natan    4

Wasn't W97 MS' first (and unseccessful) try to NT core to the desktop OS?

dragon2611    13

586776131[/snapback]

i thought that was windows 2000, which didnt sell to well in the consumer market (even though it was a good OS) so then they bought out windows ME :laugh:

Julius Caro    55
i thought that was windows 2000, which didnt sell to well in the consumer market (even though it was a good OS) so then they bought out windows ME  :laugh:

586776165[/snapback]

That's so untrue!

Windows 2000 was never aimed at home users, I think. Windows 2000 was Windows NT's new version. Windows ME was already in the making when Windows 2000 was released.

I think it was Windows ME who didn't sell good at all. WinME is always refered to as unstable, crappy and definitely not worth it.

Windows 2000 was DEFINITELY not aimed for home users because of the HUGE amount of apps that were not compatible with NT.

My dad bought w2k pro back in '00. Many apps were not compatible with NT or you had to download an specific NT version. Same with most hardware, games, etc.

bsquirle    0

586776131[/snapback]

That was Windows Codename Neptune

Windows 97 was code named Memphis:

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,9414,00.html

Barney

586776212[/snapback]

Just like Windows 98, coincidence?? :p

REM2000    145
That's so untrue!

Windows 2000 was never aimed at home users, I think. Windows 2000 was Windows NT's new version.  Windows ME was already in the making when Windows 2000 was released.

I think it was Windows ME who didn't sell good at all. WinME is always refered to as unstable, crappy and definitely not worth it.

Windows 2000 was DEFINITELY not aimed for home users because of the HUGE amount of apps that were not compatible with NT.

My dad bought w2k pro back in '00. Many apps were not compatible with NT or you had to download an specific NT version. Same with most hardware, games, etc.

586776204[/snapback]

The designs for Windows NT 5 / 2000 were for home users aswell. Microsoft was trying to merge the NT line with the 9x line, However they had massive problems with directX and some other multimedia stuff at the time.

So the home edition was dropped and it carried on with the NT line of being aimed at businesses. Microsoft would have waited and perfected Win2k for home, but NT 4.0 wasn't cutting it (lack of USB, FAT32 etc..) and also there hadn't been an upgrades to the NT lines for 4 years, and the business model of Microsoft is lots of releases, so they couldn't leave a larger gap in the Business section.

Also Microsoft was desperate to get Active Directory out of the door to compete and kill Novell's directory system, as the domain model was showing it's age in larger organizations, with computer and user management becoming a nightmare.

Evidence of the home stylings can be found in Win2k, most noticeably in the compatibility section which was geared for older games and applications.

Windows ME was a quick cash in for yr 2000, quickly put togeather after the failed attempt of Windows 2k. I think i might still have the Microsoft Press book which lists Win2k home etc.. and the ideas behind the merge. Windows XP was the extra time needed to finish off, the polish to the home edition of Win2k.

I brought Win2k in Feb 2000, and it was and still is one of Microsoft's best releases ever, i still prefer an all Win2K network vs Win2k3 / XP network, prehaps im getting too old.

I remember the releases with Win95, A, B & C. It seemed that every time were ordered new OEM software a newer version of Win95 came with it :D

I loved Win95, it was so good compared to Win3.11 & DOS, i loved the UI and the weezer buddy holly Mpg on the Disc.

Personally i was disappointed with Win98, just the same thing repackaged, and at the time with a lot more bloatware on it. I never had a problem with Windows ME, it did seem to run the games a little quicker, but i moved on from Win95 to Win2k as soon as possible. Dual booting for a period of time, until either i replaced incompatible hardware or the manufacturers released updated drivers. Another disappointment was XP, i hated and still hate the UI, doesn't look professional at all, with bright green giant buttons. Looks like the sort of UI you could mash with your palm when your drunk.

Im just have my fingers crossed that a lot of good work is going into Vista.