iPod Nano - scratches

The new ipod nano has a very big problem, check out the apple discussion forums. Ths thing scratches so easily after 2 days it looks like it has been atacked by sandpaper. I didnt believe the boards but having owned one for 2 days I can say with out a dobut they are prone to scratches.

Mine were all caused by the headphone cable and earbuds, and maybe the soft cotton lining of my coat. Apple are giving me a refund but beware any of you guys/gals who are thinking of buying one.

You only need to see display models to see what I am describing. Its like dust and maybe even a slight breeze and scratch these things.

I would reccomend anyone who has the cash to pay a little extre and get the 20GB photo

as if the photo didn't get scratched that easily.

Mine did, just as you explained, 2 days after I bought it it already had scratches.

Nothing to be seriously worried about, but still...

Simply get a case when you buy it.

hahaha all ipod's are the same! My mate has one and u can barely see wat it says on the screen anymore lol! I'm had my Zen Touch for the same amount of time and it is still is super condition!

Ok here are some links to pics of scratches posted by other users. This isnt just standard wear and tear, my white iPOP 3G is fine after 1 year+ of use, my black nano after 2 days of little use looks as bad if not worse than pics below. In comparison my black psp has no scratches, marks after alot of use, 1000x more as you hold the thing constantly when in use.

Picture001(Medium).jpg

Picture003(Medium).jpg

Have removed other images as someone was kind enough to link through to them

Edited by shadowmatt

the white wouldn't show it as easily so it would go unnoticed. Regardless fo "usual wear and tear" or not, there was deffinately something rubbing against it. And regardless of what you say rubber headphone wires will not scratch plastic.. This is why you get a case for your ipod though, everyone knows that. That was the one thing i liked about hte mini, the painted exterior was actually stronger than the normal setup and basically is flawless after months of use.

Both, but black shows it up more easily, except over the screen where both would show up the same. My screen has 10+ scratches after 2 days, very noticable ones, given a month of use would 60+ scratches convince people that the material used in construction should be a little tougher!

There was nothing else to rub againt is apart from the head phones, believe me or not, I cant say for the linked pictures, but mine looks the same. The plastic is so soft the scratches just happen, people using cleaning cloths are reporting its just making the problem worse. It is like nothing ive ever seen before. The screen on my mobile phones over the years have taken some punishment but they all look better than that.

Also the scratches in the pics look radial because the light is only highlighting the ones at certain angles as radiates out, there would be scratches at all other angles not show because of the behavoiur of the light

The colour doesnt matter as it is below the transparent surface which is prone to the scratches

586539716[/snapback]

Color does matter. The black nano shows scratches like crazy, same with the U2 ipod.

My white ipod nano has 0 visible scratches.

Color does matter. The black nano shows scratches like crazy, same with the U2 ipod.

My white ipod nano has 0 visible scratches.

586539729[/snapback]

you have 2 different color nanos!!! sounds like uve bn caught in nano fever!

colour does matter, with the white its MUCH harder to see the scratches

(i used both at the applestore and both were so badly scratched by release-day-apple-fans-for-12-hours-still-crouding and the white was still very new looking wheras the black was badly showing.)

aside from that, its common sense that the scratching will highlight easier on black surface rather than on white.

yeah well the above image is the one where they through it out of the car several times, and ran over it too.

586540024[/snapback]

I know, but iCancer must be as dramatic and heart-wrenching as humanly possible. :)