iPod Nano - scratches

Certain disussion around the web are saying that maybe apple produced a bad batch of nanos with a slightly different chemical make up for the plastic front. Some people are reporting no scratches after a week of pocket based use.

the mystery deepens

I love the self-righteous snobs over there that are bashing everyone that take issue with the scratching. As I said, there is no excuse for the plastic face being so fragile as to force me to spend another $30 on a case I don't want. Its not a hard problem to fix nor an unreasonable demand.

get a friggin case!

586545645[/snapback]

Maybe he doesnt want a "friggin" case? I think something he pays ?140 or ?180 for should be able to withstand someone's pocket without coming out looking like it has been attacked with a chainsaw.

i wish the ipod was just white all over to be honest.

The chrome is nice, but fingerprints are unavoidable.

(watch the Apple ad for the nano, NO WAY that guy doesn't put prints on it)

I want a nice case to protect it yeah (just as any other MP3 player or mobile phone would be protected)

but the soft scratchiness on it is unexcusable in my opinion.

I take care of ALL my tech. Everything looks mint, but it's near impossible for me to take care of an iPod unless I leave in a box, in the cupboard, in a vault, with 70 cases and skins on it.

My 15GB 3G iPOD has no noticable scratches, been all over the UK with me. This is why I started this thread, I wanted to warn people that the nano is very scratchable, even compared to normal iPODS.

It is polished metal. What do you expect will happen when you put it in your jeans with a quarter, a dime and a lighter. I'd say just use a case if that matters to you, personally only scratches on the screen bother me, the rest is just well, not important.

Yes people, this issue has nothing to do with not knowing how to take care of things. It seems that on the majority of ipods, apple used a very soft plastic that scratches extremely easily. As others have mentioned, with my 4G ipod, it was in a cotton pocket for minutes and when I took it out, there were tiny scratches all over the thing. I prompty returned the thing.

I am extremely careful with everything I own. Strangely enough, my brother's PSP, which he throws around left and right, looks perfect!! What I don't understand, is why does apple insist on continuing to use a soft non-scratch resistant plastic on the outer coat? The PSP has just as beautiful a finish, and it is much more durable. My theory is that it forces people to go out and buy cases. Accessories, Accessories, Accessories, that is wear money is made. $30 for that cheap case that costs less than $1 to manufacture.

It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. Not worse or better than any other iPod with clear-coated finishes.

Just use Brasso or toothpaste to clean out the scratches, and be careful...

o_o why don't you people buy cases for such expensive "pretty looking" things? When I bought my iPod I wouldn't even take it out of the box until I had a case.

Don't ya have cases for your cellphones? :p

I couldn't care less about the metal back of the Nano getting scratches, but the front is another story. It suprises me that alot of people just simply don't care that something they paid $200-$300 for it so easily damaged, even when they know Apple could do better at little cost. Apple is a hardware company and if they're making a high premium on this hardware at our expense, then Apple should have enough respect for the consumer and at least make an effort to make the Nano's faceplate durable to a certain degree. Knowingly creating a problem, then nickel and diming the customer for a solution is not an honorable business model in my opinion. You can't tell me they don't know this happens?

o_o why don't you people buy cases for such expensive "pretty looking" things?  When I bought my iPod I wouldn't even take it out of the box until I had a case. 

Don't ya have cases for your cellphones?  :p

586549568[/snapback]

The PSP doesn't need a case when in use ... why should an ipod? Half of the reason they became so popular is because of their asthetics. Now, if you can only enjoy those looks in a photo, or if inside a plexiglass box never to be touched, what's the point? A case hides all it's beauty, and that discourages a lot of people, including myself.

Point #2, and possibly even stronger, the other main allure of the ipod and especially now with the ipod nano, is the size. A case, I don't care which one you get, adds extra size and bulk to the package. So that nano that IS MEANT to be slipped into your pants pocket, well forget about doing that with a case.

And no, I do not have a case for my cell phone, and it's 2 years old now and in pristine condition.