Opera 8.50 - Free!

Non-standard UI: Opera comes with a "Native" skin if you use Windows.? It's actually what I use.

"Horrible" layout engine: Their layout engine is actually one of the most, if not the most, standards compliant engines out there.

No extensions: Fair enough:pp? Though to be fair, a lot of the things you can do with extensions are either already in Opera or still possible somehow.

586553088[/snapback]

I'll agree with everything that VCV said.

Layout Engine: Most Standard Compliant

Extension: Its got everything most that people need

Non-Standard UI: Do u mean the Tabs Above the Adress Bar thing ?

IE has a Different Layout, FireFox has a Different one and so does Opera

I Guess u've made the FX UI the Standard ?

Still the worst browser in my opinion. I hate having to design for yet another layout engine, especially one as weird as Opera's. And they didn't even support AJAX until 8.01, right?

Non-standard UI (N) Horrible layout engine (N) No extensions (N)

I'm definitely sticking with Firefox.

586553026[/snapback]

Besides your distaste for the rendering engine, fair enough. I guess it will take people some time to adjust to the new layout.

As I'm typing this from a Mac (in Safari) the interface doesn't look that different than Opera's.

Back on topic: great news. At least half of the complaints coming from FF users will be silenced. The other half will still complain of its layout, its complience with arrogant sites, and lack of extensions.

Back on topic: great news. At least half of the complaints coming from FF users will be silenced. The other half will still complain of its layout, its complience with arrogant sites, and lack of extensions.

586553149[/snapback]

My complaints with the layout engine have to do with bugs in it. I had such a bitch getting our menu to work on asmallorange.com in Opera. And *yes*, it's standards compliant. It had nothing to do with my own coding, it was their glitchy layout engine.

Here's a short list of extensions that I use all the time and keep me on FireFox

WebDeveloper

HTML Tidy

Greasemonkey

ForcastFox

CustomizeGoogle

IEView

Coralize

SA Last Read Enhancement

Dom Inspector

JS Debugger

View Rendered Source

I don't believe any of those can be supplemented in Opera.

No, no, give me nachos first!

586553077[/snapback]

hah you wish. btw i added you to my msn list.

maybe i should give opera try again. maybe not. i regret the last two times i did it. ;)

Thread #1 Eeehrmm... missed that one.

Thread #2 Give me an error message (Sorry, the link that brought you to this page seems to be out of date or broken.) so I assume that it was deleted. And I believe that this one will to if the mods think it is necessary.

I'm sure this thread will make Neowin croak and rollover from lack of server space.  :rolleyes:

586552635[/snapback]

I can see the headlines now...Neowin gets a BLAST for ThePast and all goes black...film at eleven.

My complaints with the layout engine have to do with bugs in it. I had such a bitch getting our menu to work on asmallorange.com in Opera. And *yes*, it's standards compliant. It had nothing to do with my own coding, it was their glitchy layout engine.

Here's a short list of extensions that I use all the time and keep me on FireFox

WebDeveloper

HTML Tidy

Greasemonkey

ForcastFox

CustomizeGoogle

IEView

Coralize

SA Last Read Enhancement

Dom Inspector

JS Debugger

View Rendered Source

I don't believe any of those can be supplemented in Opera.

586553201[/snapback]

Yea, I am using this new Opera now, and I do like it, but the lack of extensions like that is really ****ing me off.

Otherwise, most everything works just as well as FF and a few things better like scrolling.

Can you change shortcuts in Opera. I hate the shortcut for a new tab. I want Ctrl+T again like FF.

To those of you that havent really spent some time with Opera and are complaining about the layout.. maybe actually USE it before complaining... this is how my opera looks right now after maybe 5 min of adjusting the fully adjustable toolbars

@ Timdor, what are you talking about.. other then a couple of plug ins, Opera has everything that 99% of people need, including ad blocking...

<b>here is a link to all the buttons you will ever need for opera</b> http://nontroppo.org/wiki/CustomButtons

post-17927-1127234140_thumb.jpg

Ok, the ad blocking doens't block half the built in ads on any page. Sure it blocks pop-ups, but on pages themselves? I think not compared to adblock.

Also, WTF is with the inability to open a page in a new tab from a folder of bookmarks on your bookmark toolbar with a middle mouse click. That is just dumb.

Yea, there are some good parts of this browser, but it has PLENTY of problems too.

So much for one perfect browser.

Ok, the ad blocking doens't block half the built in ads on any page. Sure it blocks pop-ups, but on pages themselves? I think not compared to adblock.

Also, WTF is with the inability to open a page in a new tab from a folder of bookmarks on your bookmark toolbar with a middle mouse click. That is just dumb.

Yea, there are some good parts of this browser, but it has PLENTY of problems too.

586553476[/snapback]

There is a program that you have to install that will block ads dude... and yes I agree the only complaint I have is that I cant middle click open bookmarks... but I just click "new tab" on my way to bookmarks.. it takes aprox .003 seconds to do so... but yes there are a couple updates that they WILL fix... so far they have implemented most of the requests at the opera forums

There is a program that you have to install that will block ads dude... and yes I agree the only complaint I have is that I cant middle click open bookmarks... but I just click "new tab" on my way to bookmarks.. it takes aprox .003 seconds to do so... but yes there are a couple updates that they WILL fix... so far they have implemented most of the requests at the opera forums

586553485[/snapback]

Im not really familiar with the development cycles of Opera. Do they actually listen to their users and get it done QUICKLY?

How often do new small releases come out on average?

And, do you have a link to the program for the adblocking..?

586553485[/snapback]

btw, when you are clicking a bookmark just hold the shift key down and it will open in a new tab :)

Im not really familiar with the development cycles of Opera. Do they actually listen to their users and get it done QUICKLY?

How often do new small releases come out on average?

And, do you have a link to the program for the adblocking..?

586553492[/snapback]

Yep, its being developed to be user friendly.. but if you are slightly tech minded you can do it in maybe 5 min

http://nontroppo.org/wiki/BlockAdvertisements

586553476[/snapback]

shift + click the bookmark

each browser will have diffrent ways of doing things, just have to learn its way

btw, when you are clicking a bookmark just hold the shift key down and it will open in a new tab?:))

586553494[/snapback]

thats a cool tip! thanks! I still would like middle click to open tab in new window like FF...

GUYS! here is the ad blocker for Opera http://www.operaadfilter.com/

pretty easy to use and free !:))

someone get this on front page!!!