Opera 8.50 - Free!

heck, even as opera gave away free codes i still hated the browser layout and usability.

this won't be any better then. don't tel me to re-try it ;)

586552309[/snapback]

How do you find the browser layout? You speaking of the default?

The whole thing is customisable like FF. Browser layout and usability is also easy to customise.

post-18699-1127249780_thumb.jpg

Just use what browser you like to use and dont be a loser by coming in a thread about one browser and saying that your browser is better. Better for you ok but that doesnt make it better for everyone else it good to have diffrent choices for diffrent people. I think its sad to compare, "i like Firefox better than Opera" good for you Opera is not Firefox its Opera

Very nice of Opera.. while we are at it, couple questions for the local Opera pros :)

After a download finishes is there a way to open the directory where I saved the file.. the context menu is filled with all kind of silly options but it's missing this basic function?

Is there anyway to get rid of the menu when one does the rocker gesture to switch tabs (right button down + wheel) and just switch tabs directly?

WebDeveloper for Opera

Integrated into Opera (UserJS support)

I concede defeat on those two.

Bloatware :p

It's an extension. How can something that is separate considered "bloatware". You only can say that if FF was including it.

Opera has integrated seerch engines.

So does Firefox. CustomizeGoogle isn't just a simple search engine plugin... Look it up.

Bookmarklets.

No, that is not an equivalent to the DOM inspector. The inspector lets me drill down through the DOM tree finding the properties of every element on the page via a full interface.

Opera has javascript console integrated.

But not a debugger! The simple output of what errors occured and on what line doesn't equate to a full debugging environment with breakpoints, value tracking, and stepping through code.

Ctrl+F3

Did you even look at the screenshot I posted? :blink: View Rendered Source is an extension that is quite different from just viewing the source.

Most of them is web-developer extensions, not for browsing needs.

Jesus christ, how many times do I have to say it! Opera doesn't fit my needs. I need that stuff. I don't give a crap if it's not designed for common users, I still make use of it every day. That doesn't give it any less value! :crazy:

Ok, before you uninstall it (if you already have then shame on you  :p), Read this:

Press Alt + P > Go to the 'Advanced' tab > go do to 'Shortcuts' > Go to 'Keyboard setup' > Click the 'Opera standard' and then click 'edit' > Search for F11 Alt, you should find 'Platform Unix-F11 Alt' (Or somthing similar) change this to just 'F11 alt', then click ok > ok. Press alt + f11 now, the menu bar should be gone.

Now, in that screenshot you posted it looks like you firefox menu appears when you click the 'Menu' dropdown button? There is a button exactly the same for opera available on the Opera wiki, if you haven't uninstalled opera yet i'll find you for you and you can just drag it to where you want it :)

'or to remove certain icons' Which icons do you want removing? Just right click on them and go to 'Remove from toolbar'  :)

586553918[/snapback]

used to be that you could just do it right away? but yes this helps if you are on a laptop.. just did it to mine :)

Dang it, now what am I gonna do with the registeration code that I got from the 10th birthday giveaway thingy?? Maybe that was the opera update that everyone was talking about 1 -2 weeks ago..

No, I'm saying it's not the same as a normal application, therefore it sucks. In UI design there is the concept of familiarity. Having to change your method of thinking while moving between applications is very jarring and reduces productivity. There are UI guidelines for everything.

"Normal" multi-document interfaces, as specified in the Windows XP user interface guidelines, don't even include the concept of using tabs - let alone having global toolbars and page-specific toolbars to deal with (for those who think the interface is ackward: above tabs means global and below tabs means page-specific.) It states in the Windows XP user interface guidelines that the developers can break away from the guidelines if there is a reason to, and Opera done so in a logical way (imo.) The concept of familiarity is nice to stick to but that isn't always possible (or the best choice, as you can see by my multi-document example above.)

I mentioned earlier that I had the links at the top of asmallorange.com perfect in IE, Firefox, and Safari, but Opera failed to render them properly. The exact fix elludes me at the moment, but it was a quirk in the Opera rendering engine.

Just because Opera handled it differently does not mean it was wrong. Without knowing what the "fix" was, it is impossible for anyone to confirm wether it was a bug or not.

I think though not trolling, that IE will always be my #1, symantec say they've found an absolute acre of problems in firefox as for opera, still use the little baby for testing pages still.

You cannot trust Symantec, they are trying to sell their products. Firefox is much more secure than Internet Explorer. Not only is Firefox more secure but there is also a lot less incentive for anyone to harm the users (they want the larger peice of the pie - Internet Explorer users.)

Opera is the most secure at this point in time. It has the least amount of reported vulnerabilities and they are almost always fixed before they are made publicly known. Plus there is the security through obscurity, there's even less incentive to hurt Opera users than there is to hurt Firefox users.

Heh, as I was typing this bit I noticed a news entry on Neowin: Mozilla blasts back. I haven't read it but if it says what I think it does then I would have to agree with them.

Dotzler opens his mouth: "opera continues to follow firefox's lead" 

http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archive..._continues.html

Did you expect anything else from Asa - the loudest Firefox fanboy on Earth?

And is it possible to make opera display links like i can in firefox? (without text underline until mouse hover)

Tools -> Preferences -> Web Pages

Yer its good it’s free now, I do think that when IE 7 comes out though, it will be the best browser out. But we will all have to wait and see.

Internet Explorer 7 will be the most popular, but nowhere near being the best. Internet Explorer 7 still doesn't show PNGs correctly (gamma correction is missing) for crying out loud.

No, that is not an equivalent to the DOM inspector. The inspector lets me drill down through the DOM tree finding the properties of every element on the page via a full interface.

But not a debugger! The simple output of what errors occured and on what line doesn't equate to a full debugging environment with breakpoints, value tracking, and stepping through code.

http://www.miurasoft.de/opera/docInspector/blog/index.php

Funny thing from the TOS:

...YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE SOFTWARE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN ON-LINE CONTROL OF AIRCRAFT, AIR TRAFFIC, AIRCRAFT NAVIGATION OR AIRCRAFT COMMUNICATIONS; OR (II) IN THE DESIGN, CONSTRUCTION, OPERATION OR MAINTENANCE OF ANY NUCLEAR FACILITY.

Apparently this sort of thing is common in TOSs nowadays?

the only that I don't like Opera is that they don't use tabs, if u are in neowin.net and choose "new page" delete all contents and it disappears WTF? u can't return back, this sucks!

586554297[/snapback]

go to tools preferences and find it yourself.. took me 2 min to modify Opera to my liking.. prob took you longer to type your post here then it would take to have a quick look at preferences in the delete content dialog

the only that I don't like Opera is that they don't use tabs, if u are in neowin.net and choose "new page" delete all contents and it disappears WTF? u can't return back, this sucks!

586554297[/snapback]

oh yeah, and also there is a little "trash" bin at the right of the tabs that you can click and it has the history of your open tabs, you can click it and it opens tabs.. esp helpful if you decide to right click and click "close all active tabs" but forgot one that you wanted to go back to.... super cool

I wonder if the people who paid cash for this a month ago feel ripped off?  LOL.

586556064[/snapback]

They can get a refund if they want to (they will lose premium support).

I rlly enjoy Opera's speed and UI and I think its a great browser, but until i find a good working version of adblock ( same as firefox not the weird ones out there ) for opera, I cant see myself switching, hopefully with this no-ad thing it will encourage some1 to make a good version of adblock compatible with Opera :)

did the improve how u can move the buttons around LOL sorry if im nobish but i could never get it to look the way i wanted it to look but i think ill give it a go

Edited by Inplode

did the improve the  how u can move the buttons around LOL  sorry if im nobish but i could never get it to look the way i wanted  it to look  but i think ill give it a go

586557132[/snapback]

If you can't figure out how to do everything just post a topic about it, there's lot of Opera users who'll gladly help :)

The only thing keeping me from opera is my perfectly tuned firefox. I know Opera is a good amount faster, but I have so many nice extensions in FF just the way I like everything :)

I just downloaded and installed and it is amazing! Now it is going to get alot of the market share!

586556810[/snapback]

Just remember to change the user id from IE to opera (press f12 and choose identify as opera)