Adblockers

Wait, neowin has ads? :rolleyes: seriously Neowin ads are so well placed and non-obstrusive compared to other sites that flood your eyes as it's been mentioned in this thread...

Adblock gloaters should be given neowin coldturkey if ya know what I mean :p

I used to adblock Neowin AAAAAGES ago when that REALLY annoying mosquito buzzing ad kept appearing; but I whitelisted the site again a few months ago. :p

I use adblockers as some forums I visit have really irritating banners, and one even has page redirects at times, although they are unsure why it does that :s

I have Neowin whitelisted though.

Good! You get paid whether or not anyone at all sees your ads. Refresh my memory, why are you threatening to penalize us for doing something that only fluctuates your stream of revenue? Is it because you're greedy? Think hard before you answer that. You've basically set yourself up.

How? People like me DON'T click ads. Maybe you should be penalizing people that don't click ads. It's not like I'm climbing a billboard tower to vandalize. This is the internet. Hey everyone, make sure you click their ads! If you don't, you might be in big trouble!

Actually, I should have clarified. Your site could use the extra pennies. I just won't donate to websites being ran by a monkeys like yourself. Your ill fated response to mine does more harm than actually penalizing us for breaking a rule that goes against some moral code. I bet you'd have more luck burying this thread. Concede defeat, now.

I do rely, but not in the way you think. You see, if this website shuts down tomorrow, that's your problem, not mine. Maybe some of the fanboys will be upset, but that's them.

I'm 20.

Then why don't you start acting like it. This forum is owned and operated by Neowin. They can do as they please. Freedom of Speech and any other so called "Rights" you want to bring up do not apply in a forum that is owned by Neowin. The only rights you have here are the ones that Neowin gives you through the rules that they set up. You have a right to post what you want and long as it falls within Neowin's guidelines. If you want to block ads, fine block them, but there is no need to carry on like your custom member title suggests. There are more important things to concern yourself with!

I used to adblock Neowin AAAAAGES ago when that REALLY annoying mosquito buzzing ad kept appearing; but I whitelisted the site again a few months ago. :p

Oh I remember that advert! it was probably what the mute button was invented for :p

Neowin isn't most places. Certain ads are not shown to subscribers - but let's clear 1 thing up: Subscription is you supporting Neowin - so be pleased that your support is doubled by also seeing ads :)

Neowin isn't most places. Certain ads are not shown to subscribers - but let's clear 1 thing up: Subscription is you supporting Neowin - so be pleased that your support is doubled by also seeing ads :)

+1

the ads are really unnoticable

Most places if you subscribe remove ads .. when u subscribe.

Something to consider, for amount of revenue that each person generates through advertising impressions is far greater than the donation made by subscribers to help subsidize the cost of the servers, thus even though you donated to the site, if the ads were removed it would be at a revenue loss for the site which could endanger the future of Neowin as a whole.

The one ad at the top is the only one you should ever notice and even then you can't call it a big eye sore.

This issue has been talked about before, so don't get mad when Neobond or another admin comes in here telling you what we did.

The one ad at the top is the only one you should ever notice and even then you can't call it a big eye sore.

This issue has been talked about before, so don't get mad when Neobond or another admin comes in here telling you what we did.

I do think the ad at the very top should be more intergrated into the Neowin banner background (e.g. no background on the ad, just links).

I only say this because I just think it makes the top of the forums look ugly :p I wouldn't say it's obtrusive at all lol.

Also, I know the ads are provided by another company (such as Google) and therefore can't be more intergrated into the site design :(

----------------

Now playing on iTunes: Slipknot - Vermilion, Pt. 2

via FoxyTunes

I don't think the ads are a problem. You half expect a huge banner ad to be appearing in the white space under the breadcrumb.

I think this is one of the better websites when it comes to ads, some forms ive been on have ads inbetween every or every other thread as well as tons of other banners and skyscraper ads.

So please dont disrespect Neowin, things could be a lot worse.

I think this is one of the better websites when it comes to ads, some forms ive been on have ads inbetween every or every other thread as well as tons of other banners and skyscraper ads.

So please dont disrespect Neowin, things could be a lot worse.

Yeah man. I have seen those ads between the threads in other forums and they are annoying. So I agree with you.

I don't do a lot of posting on Neowin but I do spend a fair amount of time here.

I used to block every ad on every website and I never really noticed any difference, it didn't make browsing a website any quicker and generally the only thing I noticed was the websites that rely on ads to the point where part of their design literally collapse in when they are blocked.

I started using Minefield instead of Firefox 2 and to my horror I found that most of my plugins didn't work, including Adblock. However much I relied upon some of them, tempted by the promise of new features, I took a deep breath and decided to view the web completely uncensored, the way it was designed by the people whos dreams they were. No software was going to decide what I could view. I twas then I realised that there was nothing to hide. (OK, so I dramatised it a little)

Long story cut short, most of the websites I browse on a regular basis have learned to give people what they want or they will find it somewhere else. The ads on most webistes are cut down, they catch your eye but not in a distracting way - they know that if they distract or annoy then then user, yes you, will simply either block them or leave. This only damages the website and the web as a whole in the long term. Do you think Neowin wants to warn or even ban its own users just to survive?

Disclaimer: flash ads can still GTFO my browser, there is just no need for them.

I block ads on most sites but after reading this thread a while ago neowin has been added to the whitelist. As has been said before the ads here have been nicely integrated into the site so you hardly notice them as ads. I admit i rarely click on any ads (anywhere, not just neowin) but might click a few more here so they get a few more $$'s from me :)

Thanks to everyone who are showing support for Neowin. For what it's worth I try to include ads in such a way that it isn't distracting to me, and as Community leader here I hope that I've done that while also being able to sustain the website through revenue.

We have 4 servers, a company, taxes and people to pay.. that is the burden of success in our situation (yes, ours, that means you included). Without the ads we will simply vanish, because we will no longer be able to pay for the running costs.

I am seriously happy about the amount of people who posted that Neowin is in their "white list"

Most definitely - I know as much as anyone that ads are annoying, even unobtrusive ones, so I do use Adblock, but I whitelist Neowin.net because it's a way of helping the site to grow.

I always whitelist Neowin. The other day my Firefox profile screwed up, so I had to make another one, so I did, and I installed all of the extensions I use. Then I went into the adblock settings to whitelist Neowin. It wasn't until the next day that I realized the ads weren't showing, and then I realized I typed |@@ instead of @@| for the whitelist rules. It took me quite a while to realize because the ads aren't very noticeable ;) Anyway, +1 for whitelisting (Y)

Yeah, I do whitelist Neowin btw, don't know whether I made that clear.

It's funny though, because the way I found out about the AdBlock extension was from somebody's post on Neowin, a while ago :p

Thanks to everyone who are showing support for Neowin. For what it's worth I try to include ads in such a way that it isn't distracting to me, and as Community leader here I hope that I've done that while also being able to sustain the website through revenue.

We have 4 servers, a company, taxes and people to pay.. that is the burden of success in our situation (yes, ours, that means you included). Without the ads we will simply vanish, because we will no longer be able to pay for the running costs.

I am seriously happy about the amount of people who posted that Neowin is in their "white list"

I have just one teeny little request. PLEASE no more noisy ads like that bloody mosquito zapping one! That thing made me adblock Neowin to start with! :p