Adblockers

...what i dont understand is..if ur ip is blocked why would you return..if you are not wanted, have the manners to just leave. Apart from blocking your ip they can restrict your posts and profile making it impossible for you to post garbage. Therefore requiring you to open a new account which is defeating the purpose of an online community where people get to know each other from their rep on the board...

The simple point is Neowin cannot in their best interest be seen to promote ad blocking. If privatly you do fine..but please dont promote it or its uses as it is not in the interests of the communitys survival.

If you have a problem with this leave.. join another forum. :angry:

...what i dont understand is..if ur ip is blocked why would you return..if you are not wanted, have the manners to just leave. Apart from blocking your ip they can restrict your posts and profile making it impossible for you to post garbage. Therefore requiring you to open a new account which is defeating the purpose of an online community where people get to know each other from their rep on the board...

The simple point is Neowin cannot in their best interest be seen to promote ad blocking. If privatly you do fine..but please dont promote it or its uses as it is not in the interests of the communitys survival.

If you have a problem with this leave.. join another forum. :angry:

My point is that Neowin administrators can do nothing to completely block a person from visiting their site without shutting down altogether. Therefore, it is in their best interest to find common ground with those they view as doing them harm. Taking the "don't do this or else I'll do something bad to you" approach is counterproductive in this case despite the best of intentions. Great at covering things up, but does nothing to solve the problem.

Why would someone return where they're "not wanted?" You'll have to ask them.

My point is that Neowin administrators can do nothing to completely block a person from visiting their site without shutting down altogether. Therefore, it is in their best interest to find common ground with those they view as doing them harm. Taking the "don't do this or else I'll do something bad to you" approach is counterproductive in this case despite the best of intentions. Great at covering things up, but does nothing to solve the problem.

Why would someone return where they're "not wanted?" You'll have to ask them.

Ok, besides the fact that unauthorised access to a computer system is illegal in most countries, it's common courtesy to just leave when the administrators tell you to leave.

And anyways, how hard is it just not to talk about adblocking? They're not saying "You can't have it installed when you vist this site", they're just saying "don't talk about using it here"

Ok, besides the fact that unauthorised access to a computer system is illegal in most countries, it's common courtesy to just leave when the administrators tell you to leave.

And anyways, how hard is it just not to talk about adblocking? They're not saying "You can't have it installed when you vist this site", they're just saying "don't talk about using it here"

Sorry, but "unauthorized access" would not fall within the scope of this discussion. The only possible way that argument could withstand scrutiny is if Neowin required login before accessing all of its content. Since this site has public access and IP addresses are not uniquely assigned to individuals, your argument does not stand (analogy: A vehicle with a particular VIN number is banned from parking in my lot because the person who drove that vehicle is bad). I won't even discuss common courtesy because that's a philosophical discussion.

Now, the reason I brought that up in the first place was to demonstrate that it is an exercise in futility to block someone's IP from accessing a site, thus it becomes an idle argument. My entire purpose of the post was to point out the fact that there are better restriction methods than idly threatening your audience ad hoc or acting with such hostility towards them.

Let's get something straight here. I'm not an adblocking discussion advocate. I care about as much as if Neowin restricted the discussion of poodles with three legs and one ear that barks like a canary sqawks. But, if certain Neowin admins were to threaten people in a similar manner as they've done here when they made the decision to restrict it, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be just as upset. Why don't I just leave? Because I care.

Let's get something straight here. I'm not an adblocking discussion advocate. I care about as much as if Neowin restricted the discussion of poodles with three legs and one ear that barks like a canary sqawks. But, if certain Neowin admins were to threaten people in a similar manner as they've done here when they made the decision to restrict it, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be just as upset. Why don't I just leave? Because I care.

This was my whole point that seemed to miss..

I don't even block the ads here, yet I use methods to block ads. In fact I stated that several times. I support this site.

I wasn't arguing against the fact they have ads or want to protect their revenue, I was arguing the fact they were censoring users based on a rediculous foundation. Then I get threatened with an ip ban. Which was even more rediculous!!

Next thing you know, the word snark will result in a warning level on users, just because the word snark offends an admins sensitive nature..

I tried to fight it, but I just can't any longer.

<rant>

Why don't you go ahead and block my IP, as well. Don't forget that ISPs use DHCP, so I can request a new address any time I want (I can pull a few strings and change between four or five /24 subnets), so you'll want to be sure you block my ISP's subnet (not sure the mask, so feel to whois-me or guess). Make sure you get my workplace's /19 subnet as well as our secondary /19 subnet we no longer use but still have rights to. Better make sure you block our ISP's because I can piggy back on others they host via other dedicated links. While you're at it, block all open proxies and my parent's / friends' ISP subnets too because I'll just proxy my connection through them for access to Neowin.

</rant>

.. or you can use something called a proxy. Get outside more man, you're making yourself look like a incoherent idiot.

Why is everyone going on and on about this nonsense still? Don't block ads here, it's as easy as that. If you can't follow one simple rule, than you shouldn't even be allowed access to the damn internet.

.. or you can use something called a proxy.

Uh... ya.... like I said in the text you quoted.

Why is everyone going on and on about this nonsense still? Don't block ads here, it's as easy as that. If you can't follow one simple rule, than you shouldn't even be allowed access to the damn internet.

Who's going "on and on" about blocking ads? Not me. Jeebus, man, I'm tired of saying it -- read for Christ's sake, won't you?

Get outside more man, you're making yourself look like a incoherent idiot.

Given your intelligent post, I'll consider that a compliment. Thank you. :)

Edited by g33kb0y

• 4 weeks later...

Look guys,

Neowin doesn't charge anyone to read news or to be a member here. All the staff volunteer their time and effort here so that you can all enjoy quality tech news and forums. All we ask if for you to not block the advertisements. This is to ensure that we can make up for some of the money spent to run the site. Unfortunately, nothing in life is free, and this is the best way that Neowin can cover some of their costs.

Thanks

I can't believe this has gone on this long.

Neobond posted a while back that you can block whatever you want. Just don't discuss it or how to do it. How damned hard is that? I've 'spoken up' about things that are or aren't allowed on here. I've openly flamed a mod or two and been flamed back. But you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

The bottom line is that even allowing the discussion of blocking ads can, will, and does hurt this site. I happen to like it here and I would hate to see it disappear or totally become a pay-to-play site.

• 2 weeks later...

i just logged onto neowin onto the main page and was hit with 2 pop-up advertisments..

Im not whinging, i support neowin using adverts, but i dislike the use of pop-ups..never have ..

I can't reproduce this.

Neowin ads are fine on the whole, but personally I find the intellitxt ads (the one's that highlight random words and expand when your mouse hovers over them) very very annoying, to the point where their presence is actually ruining my Neowin experience. (N)

Cant we do something about them? The only thing I can think of doing is blocking them, yet making up for it by actively clicking on the banner ads so that Neowin can get the same revenue that they'd usually get from my visits here?

Thoughts? (Btw, before i'm attacked, i'd like to point out I havent blocked any ads, i'm just looking for a discussion about the intellitxt ads)

John :)

May have been exit popups from the site you were on previously.

Nope, i was in an internet cafe, and it was the first site i logged into. I normally never see the fromt page as on my pc / laptop i use a direct link form my desktop to the forums....

Meah...prob was somthin to do with the internet cafe . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Um... I don't see the problem here...

The way I read it, you can block all the ads on the site. You just can't tell other people, people who may or may not actually click the ads, how to block them...

This should really be a non-issue. If YOU block the ads, it's YOUR choice. If you help OTHER people block the ads, then it is Neobond's problem because you could potentially to taking away support to run the website.

All these people saying how wrong it is for the webmaster to tell you not to block ads need to re-read his post. He's not telling you, you can't block the ads. He's telling you not to tell other people how to block the ads.

You've gotta be retarded as hell to click an ad if you ask me. Then again, there are many retarded people out their (not talking about mentally challenged people of course, but people who are just generally stupid). My bad for all the gloat in the past. I usually advise people to do smart things and make better choices, but ya know.

You guys should set up a "No-Ads" feature with your Paid Subscription. I'd be very willing to subscribe to the website for it. I mean, who wants a 10MB mailbox? Just a thought.-- :yes:

I actually DO purposly click the ads on Neowin. The ads here are unintrusive, and although i DO block ads from other sites, ive added Neowin to my allow list.

If you're posting here, you're costing Neowin money, and there has to be a way to recoup their money. I know its harsh, but a site i worked on has a script run which went along the lines of:

If the ads arent shown, stop the site loading.

Would you like it if neowin had to do that because of people constantly telling others to block ads?

I actually DO purposly click the ads on Neowin. The ads here are unintrusive, and although i DO block ads from other sites, ive added Neowin to my allow list.

If you're posting here, you're costing Neowin money, and there has to be a way to recoup their money. I know its harsh, but a site i worked on has a script run which went along the lines of:

If the ads arent shown, stop the site loading.

Would you like it if neowin had to do that because of people constantly telling others to block ads?

Yeah, but if you simply OFFER money in return for no ads, isn't it a win-win situation? You pay them, they take off the ads. Many sites do this and it works great. Many people who love their favorite sites wouldn't mind sending in some money, however, many don't want to send in money for nothing. I mean, I'd rather donate to a good cause rather than a website. Though, if you simply offer something as simple as taking down ads for those who choose to send you money, where is it actually hurting the website? $20-30 a year. I'd gladly pay that to rid myself of the ads (including the image button and frame that says "Advertisement"). And I'd feel good as I'd be helping out these guys with their website.

Like I said, it's a win-win type of thing. I thought Neowin had it already, but I guess I was mistaking it for another website. It's too bad though, because it'd be a great thing if you ask me.

Hell, for $20 a year, if even only 100 people decided to purchase the subscription, that's $2000. :o!!

(Y) (Y)

Nope, i was in an internet cafe, and it was the first site i logged into. I normally never see the fromt page as on my pc / laptop i use a direct link form my desktop to the forums....

Meah...prob was somthin to do with the internet cafe . . .

I personally don't sign onto my accounts at public computers. At least, I try not to. Who knows what's lurking there? And unless I can download and scan, I'll never find out.

I never see ads. I don't see ads on any site I go to. :D

Ads are the devil.

If people didn't make so many annoying ads other people wouldn't want to block them. Unfortunately it's the people that make annoying flash ads and ads where stuff flies in front of something you need to read that have ruined it for everyone. It's because of those kinds of ads that I refused to have ads anymore.

As long as people are able to make ads, people will block them.

Geeks started the Internet. Big business put ads on the Internet. Geeks blocked the ads. Big business gets mad. Geeks laugh. That's how it will always be. ;)

Lastly, most of the people here have really annoying signature pictures. Whatever happened to the sigs that were just text (like mine)? Oh yeah, I also don't see most of the "annoying" signatures either. :)

But............remember.........I'm not telling anyone else how to do it. :D