Adblockers

What ads hahaha i know there are some but how do they get in people's way, plus if we had the subscribers thing back up this would also help pay the bills, i am more than willing to pay money for this, but if you don't want it....

I admit the warning I got was completely my own fault. I had switched the adblocker on one sunday, which is generally when my connection runs really slowly, and had forgoten to disable it the following day.

On sundays my connection speed generally drops to about a 10th of its normal speed and I switched it on to speed up a bit

You should really just require that people whitelist Neowin on their adblocker. Therefore they can still talk about adblockers, but only if it is whitelisted.

You should really just require that people whitelist Neowin on their adblocker. Therefore they can still talk about adblockers, but only if it is whitelisted.

It's not fair to your affiliates, though. It wouldn't be right to say "don't block ours, but block theirs".

This link has code to block adblock users. Now if they can detect this, can they detect whether or not it is active for the site being visited? That way, sites could block those that haven't whitelisted them.

It's not fair to your affiliates, though. It wouldn't be right to say "don't block ours, but block theirs".

affiliates? What's that matter to you. You have rules. they have rules. Yours rules and their rules are different. It's just a rule.

This link has code to block adblock users. Now if they can detect this, can they detect whether or not it is active for the site being visited? That way, sites could block those that haven't whitelisted them.

That is to detect adblock plus which has just been fixed in a development build of adblock plus. No longer works. :p

Read this one and you will see it does happen.

I don't use Adblock, but over the summer I've had occasions where the top forum ad failed to show up in Firefox for one day (the top area had nothing, not even a white square), then they return the next day, then disappear on another day...

affiliates? What's that matter to you. You have rules. they have rules. Yours rules and their rules are different. It's just a rule.

What's that matter? Obviously, you don't know how these relationships work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That link makes me lol. Blocking ads = stealing? oh please. Is there no limit to the stupidity of people anymore? Just cause things don't go your way doesn't make it theft. They should stop crying then go learn the proper definition for stealing. Maybe if the content of a site was pay to see and you got that content without paying for it, it would be stealing. But not merely cause you blocked a stupid little flash ad. And, quite frankly, you can't really "steal" things made available with no fee, unless you're claiming the work as your own when it's not. This foolish line of thinking is what's going to lead to more pointless, frivolous lawsuits.

Sure, sites may lose a little bit of money on the handful of people who do block ads. But to call blocking ads the equivalent of stealing when the content was made available without a fee to the users is, well, kinda absurd.

• 1 month later...

and1direct: I am on-side with you - you asked a legit question about protecting kids (I assume) from adult ads.

I have PM'd you as I have no idea whether I'd be breaking rules...

• 3 weeks later...

Adblockers ruin revenue? I don't think so. I am one of the people that would never ever click on a freaking ad just because I can't stand them. So even if I see the ads they don't make money off of me. There are tons of other people like me. I choose to use adblock software because I don't click on ads. No matter what the marketing/advertising people think.......there are TONS of people that are so annoyed by ads that they will NEVER click one. That is me.

The advertisers started crossing the line when they would make ads that would fly in above what you're reading, intruding on your viewing. They shot themselves in the foot with these intrusive ads. Heck I just saw one today on MSN.com via Internet Explorer that had a Ford Focus fly out in front of everything. Total BS. Once they started this kind of thing, I vowed to never click an ad again. If they would have kept their ads civil I would consider supporting sites that have ads by clicking them now and then. Now there are pop-up ads when you watch TV about the next show or a show that will be on tomorrow. I'm so sick of it that I'm pretty much just going to read the paper and read the Internet (with adblockers).

• 3 weeks later...
Do you get money from people who don't click them anyway?

That's what I'd like to know. Because if you only get money from clicks, and I'm not clicking anyway, I don't see why I should have to put up with the ads.

That's what I'd like to know. Because if you only get money from clicks, and I'm not clicking anyway, I don't see why I should have to put up with the ads.

I cant speak on behalf of Neowin, but the way most ads work is that you get revenue for just displaying the ad

But obviously more revenue is generated on clicks.

So blocking the ad from displaying is not exactly helping anything. Especially if they're not intrusive.

I cant speak on behalf of Neowin, but the way most ads work is that you get revenue for just displaying the ad

But obviously more revenue is generated on clicks.

So blocking the ad from displaying is not exactly helping anything. Especially if they're not intrusive.

That depends. Some ads, such as the google ones will only pay per click. But I'm sure others here pay per thousand views.

• 2 weeks later...
Well if they pay per display blocking them isn't an issue, they still load, just arn't shown

That depends on how you block. Some hide some block completely and some (most?) do both depending on the filter makers decision as to how to block that particular ad.