Increase Your P2P Download Speeds

I know it's a little off-topic, but how about discussing how to use proxies with p2p programs? I have 3 friends that have gotten in legal trouble for downloading music or movies, and I don't want to join that list.

Configuring LimeWire (the only p2p program I currently use) to use a proxy is pretty easy, but how about BitTorrent / etc...? Any experiance?

Peace,

Pete Zaria.

Thanks but I can't find out how to configure a static IP address. Supposedly that website has a guide for finding it out but I found no use of it.

586792579[/snapback]

Do you have a static IP from your ISP? It's dynamic unless you paid extra for static. You can get a free dynamic domain name from DynDNS or NoIP.

Do you have a static IP from your ISP? It's dynamic unless you paid extra for static. You can get a free dynamic domain name from DynDNS or NoIP.

586793812[/snapback]

Ok, I figured out how to configure a static IP and I actually got the port I wanted forwarded as well but now, my internet connection stopped working so I put the settings back to what they were in the beginning.

Off topic

I have a dial up connection using the GPRS facility on my cell phone. It has a speed of 115.2 Kbps. While just browsing the web and downloading through browsers it works fine.

However when I download torrents 9 times out of 10 it will just freeze after a while. The other 1 time I may be able to download a huge amount of data. Shareaza seems to be the best client for me.

What could be the problem?

• 2 weeks later...

I thought eMule was shut down?

This could be of some relevance to this guide i though:

Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS in Windows XP Pro

The following tweak applies only to Windows XP Professional edition.

The default system behavior is that all 100% bandwidth is available, however, if there is a running application that indicates to the OS it needs to send high priority/real time data, then as long as it has the socket open, Windows XP will restrict ?best effort? traffic to 80% of the bandwidth so that high priority traffic can be accommodated. Basically, applications can make this request to the operating system for QoS support using the QoS application programming interfaces (APIs) in Windows and this only applies if a specific app is requesting QoS.

If you'd like to change how much bandwidth is reserved for QoS (the default is 20% of the total bandwidth), do the following:

1. Make sure you're logged in as "Administrator" (not just any account with admin privileges).

2. Navigate to START>Run and type: gpedit.msc

3. Navigate to Local Computer Policy > Administrative Templates > Network > QOS Packet Scheduler

4. In the right window, double-click the limit reservable bandwidth setting

5. On the setting tab, check the enabled setting.

6. Where it says "Bandwidth limit %", change it to read 0 (or whatever percentage you want to reserve for high priority QoS data)

7. Click OK, close gpedit.msc

Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

You need to reboot for changes to take effect.

Note: This tweak applies only to The Professional version of Windows XP.

To read more about QoS, refer to the MSDN Documentation.[/quotSource: SpeedGuide

ok i need a little help with this bit :blush:

>remember your ip address and default gateway

>type in your default gateway into your browser (internet explorer works fine)

>now you need to find something about "applications" or "port forwarding" and fill out one line for each p2p client

>you need to use your ip address and the port range (usually just one port) you can find and change in the actual p2p client's settings

>most p2p apps need both tcp and udp checked

>make sure to save your settings and you're done!

so yea i can get into my router settings now i dont know weather to go into firewall rules or services. well i kinda exploered each and found that when i went into the services page and then clicked on "add custom serivce" i came to a screen which was remotley relevant to what slimy was talking about

well this is a screen shot of it:

post-91515-1136982052_thumb.jpg

well i wanna configure the programs utorrent and limewire, my router is the neatgear DG834G and i am a complete and utter noob so can you make everything as simple as possible

also if it matters i get this thing on utorrent that says "NAT error" if that is of any use

ok thanks alot

name: type in the name of the program you want to add

type: check if there is an option for both udp and tcp, then choose it

start and finish ports: they are within the actual program (and you can change them, just look around utorrent's and limewire's preferences)

I thought everyone liked BitComet more...

But just since Slimy is using ?Torrent I might just try it ;))

586858167[/snapback]

I use bit tornado on an 8mb connection, so I have to say it isn't much of an issue with me

name: type in the name of the program you want to add

type: check if there is an option for both udp and tcp, then choose it

start and finish ports: they are within the actual program (and you can change them, just look around utorrent's and limewire's preferences)

586857775[/snapback]

ok so for the name just "utorrent"

yea it does have an option for both so i guess i just use that

and for the final one im not really sure what to do

this is a screen shot of u torrent

post-82808-1137051456_thumb.jpg

the port that is used for incoming connections is 32459

is that what i should put for the start port or finish port, and which ever it is

what should i put for the other

thanks alot :blush:

I have a vonage VOIP phone adapter plugged into my cable modem which then connects to my computer. Do I follow the same procedures for port forwarding? When I type in my IP address it takes me to a configuration page for the phone adapter, not the cable modem.

Make sure you have a password set, you don't want someone else accessing your adapter. Check your Vonage adapter manual to see if it has NAT, some do. Otherwise your port forwarding needs to be done in your software firewall config.

srry url is www.firewallforward.com

586732968[/snapback]

...this appears to be a link to an avionics engine overhauling site. :huh:

Could you check the link again, I'm interested in checking it out. Thanks. :)

PS. I just switched from Azureus to uTorrent...great program, thanks!

Edited by MuddyMuDmaN

I'd personally recommend e.g. BitComet over ?Torrent, as that's an example of a BT client that supports peer exchange => often more peers => often higher download speeds, assuming all other circumstances are the same (same file downloaded, same hardware & setup, etc).

?Torrent is a bit young still, and the only thing I can see it has going for it is low memory usage, but that's not really related to if you get good speeds or not.

well, fastest speed I've ever gotten downloading a torrent is 40 kbs. What on earth am I doing wrong here?! :huh:

Background Info:

3MB DSL connection.

Allowing Unlimited Upload Kb/s

I'd think utorrent would be better for private trackers though.

PS: If your at a college and they're using a packet shaper your ****ed till you find a way around it. And if you can do that your most likely a CS major or you have computer experience.

fyi, my brother's in college and they have a upload/download limit there (weekly limit).

however, when he uses DC++, it isn't detected for some reason. torrents, on the other hand, KILL his bandwidth and get him banned from the internet for like a week :D