Increase Your P2P Download Speeds

Great guide slimy, worked great for me.

I use emule for rare files like you, and get speeds of 40+ Kb/sec. I have set my upload speed to %80, so I use 30-35Kb/sec upload (100% is 50-55Kb/sec. My question is, if I decrease this to like 15 or 20Kb/sec, will I notice a decrease of download speed?

Great guide slimy, worked great for me.

I use emule for rare files like you, and get speeds of 40+ Kb/sec. I have set my upload speed to %80, so I use 30-35Kb/sec upload (100% is 50-55Kb/sec. My question is, if I decrease this to like 15 or 20Kb/sec, will I notice a decrease of download speed?

I'm happy to see you liked my guide (don't be afraid to rate it people!). You may not see a decrease right a way, but most likely, yes. Almost every p2p client works this way, p2p wouldn't be alive if clients didn't force users to share.

I'm happy to see you liked my guide (don't be afraid to rate it people!). You may not see a decrease right a way, but most likely, yes. Almost every p2p client works this way, p2p wouldn't be alive if clients didn't force users to share.

awesome thanks!

(Btw, I rated the guide ;))

Azureus downloads slow as hell for me same with limewire. I have a 6mb connection and i have forwarded all the ports yadda yadda applied the lvllord patch and i still get download speeds at the most 20kbs. I called my isp they say that the torrents depend on the uploader yadda yadda i know that already theyre not throttleing ports. I emailed my router maker and they just told me what i already know. I did all the port forwarding crap everything is done properly but i still get slow download speeds and i have no idea. I have one more computer connected on my network but its not used for downloading or anything just a shared connection. I'm at the end of my rope with it. I download extremely fast on ftp sites and http sites. But bittorrent and other applications are slow as hell, if anyone can help that would be amazing.

You called your ISP and spoke to them about Torrents?? :|

I finally managed to get access to my modem (Prestige 660H-61; had to reset it as p/w was forgotten!), and found with great satisfaction that it supports UPnP - which I thought would allow me to get superior download speeds on ?Torrent (which said UPnP 32459 OK).

Alas, the maximum I get is 5 KB/s and usually its less than 1 KB/s. I rarely seem to download off more than one peer. However, I constantly get up to 8 KB/s upload rate spread across 8 or 10 peers (generally more like 5 KB/s though).

So then I decided, OK I'll set up a static IP for this computer and forward port 32459 manually. As soon as I set up the static IP, the UPnP icon goes away from My Network Places (but is still active and connected in Network Connections). I then tried to forward the port but kept getting the error:

ERROR: FAIL TO UPDATE DUE TO... DUPLICATE PORT NUMBER !

So now I am quite confused, and am really keen to increase my download speeds because I don't know how much longer I can wait for the Goodies!:pp

TIA for any help!

P.S. I am on 256/64 KB/s ADSL (WestNet in Australia)

I have been downloading a particular torrent for over 3 weeks now on a 2mbs connection. It has thousands of peers and downloaders yet I never seem to be able to get over 40kb constantly.

After 3 weeks of downloading it at 4kb average a second, I am now 96.8% done. Funny enough, I have exceeded my monthly 10GB allowance today, and I am assuming I will be dropped to 56k speeds soon enough. However I fail to see what difference this will make when it comes to downloading torrents as I never seem to be able to get a popular torrent downloaded in less than 2 weeks.

Can someone help.

P.S I have forwarded ports. Turned off firewalls etc yardi yardi yarda

i have tried everything inorder to get my download speed for limewire above 40Kbps

but nothing seems to work. i have ADSL and it should be runing at 384Kbps

but one day i was downloading i had a spike of 499Kbps. what was that and how can i get it to stay constant

Since you have overhead and not every packet comes thru isn't it better to divide by 10 on you internet connection?

this was the first thing i thought off when reading that.

Remember to divide by 10, not 8.

Overhead has to be kept in mind.

so 800kb upstream / 10, 80KB.

80KB * 0.8 = 64KB cap.

i have a 512k upstream (64KB). my actualy upload is only 50KB/sec or so. going by what the original poster said, and capping my upstream at 80% of my theoretrical upload (51.2 KB) would be capping myself at over 100% of what i can actually send at, and also be completly useless. going by the "divide by 10" rule though, and capping at 80% of that would be around 40KB/s, which DOES help my connection.

Edited by Xenomorph

I have been downloading a particular torrent for over 3 weeks now on a 2mbs connection. It has thousands of peers and downloaders yet I never seem to be able to get over 40kb constantly.

After 3 weeks of downloading it at 4kb average a second, I am now 96.8% done. Funny enough, I have exceeded my monthly 10GB allowance today, and I am assuming I will be dropped to 56k speeds soon enough. However I fail to see what difference this will make when it comes to downloading torrents as I never seem to be able to get a popular torrent downloaded in less than 2 weeks.

Can someone help.

P.S I have forwarded ports. Turned off firewalls etc yardi yardi yarda

if you have thousands of both seeds and leechs then you won't get a great speed... but your ISP might be throttling your bittorrent ports (6881-6889) or detecting bittorrent headers so they throttle it... you can change your port in practically every client and in bitcomet theres an option to send encrypted headers... the only problem is that this means you can only connect to other people with bitcomet... can't really think of any other tips except to get onto a few private trackers... you should be able to get maxed out connections on them. although i don't have any experience :p

Pretty good and useful info, but here are a few things that should be added...

1.) A lot of Windows updates for XP, after service pack 2, will reset optimized settings for TCP/IP and also reset the max half-open connection limit. It's a good idea that anytime you update your XP that you re-run the patch for the half-open connections limit to make certain it didn't get reset back to 10. It's also a good idea to recheck your TCP/IP settings for if they are still optimized or not. The best tool I have ever used for this is TCP Optimizer and as posted by others it can be found here; http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

2.) If you have more than on p2p client open at a time, you need to make certain that you reduce the global upload speed limit for each one. As mentioned, you don't want to go over 80% of your upload limit in most instances, but if you have 2 clients open then you need to reduce the upload speed of each in half, or by a third if you have 3 clients open at the same time. Make sure the total upload speed of all of the clients you keep open at once doesn't exceed the 80% upload cap.

example: If 80% of your upload speed is 120 kb/s and you have 2 seperate p2p appz going at once, then you need to set the max upload of each of them to 60 kb/s so that collectively they don't exceed your upload speed cap. If you leave them both set to 120 kb/s then they will often easily exceed your 80% of your upload limit and will give you seriously slow downloads by comparison.

3.) Sometimes the cache in your cable/dsl "modem" will get overwhelmed but the massive amount of data that you are sending up or down via your connection. If this happens, you will notice a real performance decrease. The easiest solution is to simply unplug if for a minute or so and then plug it back in so it can resynch with the network having itself all refreshed and ready to go again.

4.) Sometimes the same can happen to your router, again...just turn it off for a minute or so, and turn it back on, i.e. plug it back in, and that will usually solve the issue.

5.) Remember with Bittorent that a lot of places use private trackers anymore to deal with the RIAA/MPAA, and as such you might not be able to download a file from a torrent, no matter how good your settings are, unless you subscribe or get invited to the service running the private tracker.

6.) Also on Bittorent, some people set some rather rediculous ratios on a tracker, and as such, if they have it set to something like 1:2 or 1:3, then you will have to upload two to three times the amount of data that you are downloading before it willl allow you to get the full speed of the file being shared. In this case, there is little you can do other than be patient until you've uploaded enough to get the better speeds off the tracker.

7.) Some sites do have ratio tracking for torrent files setup, so that if you are the sort of person who just downloads a file then cancels the torrent without seeding, you can easily get banned from getting more files, or at least end up with some really poor download speeds as a "penalty" for leeching without sharing files. Always try to seed, i.e. upload/share, files on bittorent until you have at least uploaded to a 1:1 ratio to help prevent this.

8.) eMule is great for finding some large and some obscure files, but keep in mind that sometimes only a tiny number of people are sharing that rare or hard to find file. Because of this, the que lines on that file might be in the hundreds or thousands of people with requests waiting for it. In that case, all you can do is be patient, your settings won't effect you getting it any faster, you just have to wait your turn in line to get access to downloading the file.

9.) Also with eMule, keep in mind that it has it's own hidden file for tracking what you upload built right into it, so if you aren't the sort of person that leaves it going for a long time, and uploading what you download, you can expect to get some rather poor performance and speeds from it eventually.

I understand that not everyone has the ability ot be a dedicated releaser of a file on a p2p network. Just use some simple etiquette. If you are cursing, swearing, and throwing things around over how angry you are that it's taking you so long to get a file and the speeds getting it are so slow...chances are there are dozens of other people in the same situation as you are. If you don't show the curtosy of uploading the files that you download, it just makes the problem worse for everyone else in the end. It really won't kill you to let your p2p client upload a file that you've gotten, for 24 hours or so, after you have it complete. The more you share, the more other people will share, it's as simple as that.

@Mat7h3w, thank you for the long response! I will be adding things to my guide slowly :)

A couple of things have been updated and reworded. I plan to add everyone's suggestions and tips to the first post.

i think i have finally perfected my azureus settings. I have 2mbit connection, and when downloading popular torrents like csi and malcom in the middle, i regularly get speeds of up to 1.5mbit/sec,so thats just under 200kB/s isn't it. PM if you want help

PS,i use a OS X,so i might not be much use to anyone on windows,i can try to give you some azureus settings, but i may not be the best guy to talk to

Enable DHT, Enable DHT for new torrents: CHECKED

This is recommended to be checked to improve speeds. More people will be available for sharing if this is checked.

This is fine if the user uses public trackers, but private trackers do not allow DHT. Some torrents from private trackers will have a 'not allowed' flag already in the torrent code, so it won't matter. But, some don't. If private trackers are used at all, it's better to leave 'Enable DHT for new torrents' unchecked. For public trackers, you can just right-click on the torrent after loading it, select Properties, and check the 'Enable DHT' option.