Increase Your P2P Download Speeds

Pre-allocate files: UNCHECKED

Prevents fragmentation, user preference.

I don't think there's this option, I only see Pre-allocate ALL files. Even if you uncheck this it'll still pre-allocate as the files download. For example if your *.torrent has 10 files in it and you unchecked it, it won't pre-allocate all 10 files at once, instead it would pre-allocate "file 1" if you started recieving data from it.

UPnP Mapping: I think this is for automatic port-forwarding so you don't have to keep your ports open all the time. (atleast from my experience that's why it appears to be)

In the latest uTorrent release (and bitcomet/azureus) they all have protocol encryption. In utorrent this is disabled by default, enable it to help alleviate capping caused by ISP's deep packet inspection.

Also peerguardian with the p2p lists can help improve speeds in a way, by removing a lot of the "junk data" sent out from a huge list of addresses.

Its not going to actually increase your download rate, but it will decrease the amount you have to download due to not downloading as much false/junk data.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you have overhead and not every packet comes thru isn't it better to divide by 10 on you internet connection?

Thanks for that, did it and it works!

• 3 weeks later...

I forwarded my ports correctly. I checked off all of the settings in your guide. I downloaded the SP2 fix and I am still getting only 40 kbps. I have a 6mbps connection. Any suggestions?

^ It is possible the your isp is throttling ports. Set the encryption to forced, change peer.lazy_bitfield to true and try changing your port. Is utorrent showing a green light at the bottom?

Welcome to Neowin!

^ It is possible the your isp is throttling ports. Set the encryption to forced, change peer.lazy_bitfield to true and try changing your port. Is utorrent showing a green light at the bottom?

Welcome to Neowin!

No its showing a red light

^ I'm sorry but afaik, that can only mean a firewall or a router is blocking the port in question. Make sure that you forwarded the port for your ip address, and no the other computer's.

80% of your upload is too high, it will kills your maximum download speed. I have a (6.6Mbps/384Kbps) connection and I played with my upload speed and found the only way to still get my maximum download speed is to set the upload cap at 25kb/s. If I use 80% of my upload which is around 40kb/s my download speed significantly decreases and sufing would be extremly slow.

I just tested it just now, I was going around 730kb/s with 25kb/s upload when I set the upload to 35 and 40kb/s and my download speed drop down to 40kb/s.

Edited by Tristan

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i want to add something to this myself:

In Norton Antivirus options you have a feature called "Internet Worm Protection"

Disabling this also increases my download speed on both Azureus and Shareaza.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent tips. Helped me out a lot in uTorrent! I've been downloading a CD 700MB for the last few days at 1-5KBPS, and I have a 5mb connection. Thanks. :)

This guide is meant to explain how to increase your speeds when using p2p applications and still be allowed to browse the the Internet, with just a small slowdown. First off, I'd like to recommend to everyone:

?torrent for large new files - http://www.utorrent.com/

eMule for rare files - http://www.emule-project.net/

cabos for media files - http://cabos.sourceforge.jp/

They all use very little resources and are spyware/adware free.

• 3 months later...