Site Speed

How is the site speed today?  

212 members have voted

1. 1. We sorted out some server issues and need feedback.

• It's flying
    • It's slower
    • It's about the same as always
    • I don't even care
    • I care but I am unable to answer the question

It was pretty speedy the first couple days, but yesterday and today it's been slow as hell. Takes a few minutes for a page to load, making Neowin basically unusable. For troubleshooting purposes, I'm running Win XP Pro with FF 1.5 over an 8 megabit cable connection.

:huh: Mixed results -- I get 'Server too busy' messages after making a post; fortunately I know that means my post did register, and I avoid double-posts.

I can not connect at all thru my normal ISP. :cry:

At work about 30 seconds to load a page plus random "connection time out" messages from the HTTP server

At home (completely different network of course) up to 1 minute to load a page

this is HORRIBLE! speed. Congen networks really do suck, I don't understand why we would move this site onto their horrible networks... they rout like a mad man also..

It has been slightly faster ever since it has been on the new servers. It is much more reliable, though, there are far less flood controls things and server busy messages. There is absolutely no way it is slower!

Well, it appears as though the speed issue lays within either PHP or MySQL. I have been looking at apache and bind (dns) for the last 10 hours, and see no reason for them to be the cause for the issues. As if I just go to html pages (No PHP or MySQL) they load instantly. So I am going to focus my attention on the PHP or MySQL configurations and see what I can find.

It's a lot slower, to add this reply it took 52.1668 seconds to render the page. Earlier it took 84 seconds yet the server load was around 0.7 something. I dont understand how the server load can be so low, yet it takes ages to render a page, or am i missing something?

Edit: Great, got a server too busy error on clicking "Add Reply".... hit refresh to get a page render time of 75.4000 seconds, and a server load of 11.30...

However, the new quick way for editting posts is excellent imo.

Edited by Bliksem

database errors.

images loading slow (if at all).

refreshing the page is like watching paint dry.

4 server busy errors in the past 45 minutes.

takes several minutes to post on the forums

I could cook dinner in the time it takes between hitting the 'edit' button and a dialog actually opening up.

Dunno what was changed other that some fluff in the forums, but it seriously seems like the site is genuinely broken since it's come back.

it is awfully and very painfully slow. even if the mai page loads quickly(very rarely) then forums take 30-40 secs to load... definitely unusable

this reply page took 45 secs to load btw... :(

Hmmm...There has to be a big problem with the new servers or the coding is just totaly messed up. I would be glad to do some volunteer work for Neowin and code but dont know how :unsure:

So if any staff sees this please tell me if I can help because by the looks of it Neowin needs help! :)

(for staff members: If your interested in me helping you can contact me at :hypatech 2.0@gmail.com)

Damm my mistake.. was ok but now it's worst like you down graded

Sorry, the server is too busy to handle your request, please try again in a moment - comes up everytime now. hope this gets sorted then i may subscribe

Appears to be going a little bit faster. My guess is the thread_cache_size , and query_cache_size.

/etc directory there's a file called my.cnf

I'm working with phaez, any improvement guys?

SAFE_MYSQLD_OPTIONS="--defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf"

changed to:

SAFE_MYSQLD_OPTIONS="--defaults-file=/etc/my.cnf --log-slow-queries=/var/log/slow-queries.log

Edited by oddcrap

The front page is loading a little faster than last night, but not as fast as it was before the upgrade.

The forums are painfully slow. The highlight in the forums it?s making things even worst. It?s really increasing the CPU usage in my compute:( :(

We have found someone to help us with some core configuration issues on our 4 servers, he was working through the night and first glance this morning shows that we have made progress already.

Whats your opinion?

VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRy SloWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW