Official Windows Messenger Live BETA Thread

Ok, ok, be VERY careful here.

The invitation from Microsoft can be used ONCE. This will give you access to the beta section on Connect, newsgroups, beta chat, etc etc. This is a lot more 'special' than the user-invitations.

The user-invitation will give you access to use the beta, thats about it. The advantage of this is that it can be re-used - if you go to ideas.live.com, choose 'Leave this beta', you can then re-use the invitation code. If you've got a second account, might be a good place to use it. Or send it to a friend.

Be careful about what you do, I got caught out here.

I was in the same situation, I left the beta (from my 2nd gen invite) and then clicked on the official microsoft invite but the beta doesnt show up in my connect account?! Has anyone got this to work? What went wrong here then?

Australian Beta Testers,

You may have recently received a Newsletter announcing test scenarios and a bug bash for the Sharing Folders feature. We regret to inform you that Sharing Folders is currently not offered in Australia due to leagal requirements. We will be conducting more bug bashes for other features in the very near future, so check back regularly. Also, we encourage you to participate in the newsgroups. Your fellow beta testers have a wealth of information and can answer most of your questions.

Thanks!

-The Windows Live Beta Team

To think I was wondering why there wasn't any difference sharing files with another WLM8 user :no: . *sigh*

Just a bit of a nitpick too... Microsoft can't spell ("leagal"?) :laugh: .

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I wanted to ask can you connect to Yahoo Messenger users with WLM? Again I apologise if the question seems out of order :blush: .

PSG22

neone kno how u can install it with msn 7.5 installed too?

Install MSN 7.5, then go to Program Files and change the name of the "MSN Messenger" file to "MSN Messenger 7.5" It will have a warning message that it will change some of the programs, click ok. Install WML 8 this will install to the MSN Messenger dir. Then update your shortcuts for MSN 7.5.

It needs to be done that way or 8 will install over 7.5 if 7.5 is in the MSN Dir.

Hope this helps!! :yes:

Can anyone with MSN8 look in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\msn-email-adres\SharingMetadata\Working ? There's a file "SimilarityTable_2" which is hidden (untick hide protected files and folders in explorer options).

What's the size of that file?

Sorry if this has been answered before, but I wanted to ask can you connect to Yahoo Messenger users with WLM? Again I apologise if the question seems out of order :blush: .

PSG22

dont think so

Can anyone with MSN8 look in this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Messenger\msn-email-adres\SharingMetadata\Working ? There's a file "SimilarityTable_2" which is hidden (untick hide protected files and folders in explorer options).

What's the size of that file?

I followed the instructions, and got as far as my msn email address. However, from there I have two folders, contacts and sharing folders. I checked them out, and can't find anything to do with a SharingMetadata, nor a SimilarityTable_2. However, maybe it is to do with the fact that I'm only sharing files with one person...

I've got a question, or more of an observation really. When sharing a file with someone, it copies the file in to a special folder for that person. So, let's assume I want to share 5GB of information with 4 people. That will create 4 copies of the same 5GB, totalling 20GB for the 4 people, and 25GB when you include the original 5GB.

This seems mildly silly to me. Surely it would make more sense to create something like shortcuts in each of the folders, that link to the original files wanting to be shared. That way, the original folder size is still 5GB, but instead of having 4 more folders with the same 5GB, you have 4 folders with something like 100kb or something.

Am I wrong on what I've seen? And would the solution be do able somehow?

did she get an invite

nope im using the windows messenger live beta on my comp she wanted to signing with her own screen name but she couldnt do it... dont tell me that the only who can use it is the invite onwer that sucks

its activated per e-mail address. user1@hotmail.com recieved an invite, so only user1@hotmail.com will be able to sign in. just wait and invite your partner/sister aunte. whatever.

I've got a question, or more of an observation really. When sharing a file with someone, it copies the file in to a special folder for that person. So, let's assume I want to share 5GB of information with 4 people. That will create 4 copies of the same 5GB, totalling 20GB for the 4 people, and 25GB when you include the original 5GB.

This seems mildly silly to me. Surely it would make more sense to create something like shortcuts in each of the folders, that link to the original files wanting to be shared. That way, the original folder size is still 5GB, but instead of having 4 more folders with the same 5GB, you have 4 folders with something like 100kb or something.

i do have the same problem! it's absurd! mirosoft should develop the sharing folder function.

at present, i wont use sharing folder.

WLM8 beta 's share folder require install an anti-virus software to scan the share file.

I already install AVG anti virus software in my computer.

now ,

How to set up , then my AVG can scan my share folder?

WLM8 beta 's share folder require install an anti-virus software to scan the share file.

I already install AVG anti virus software in my computer.

now ,

How to set up , then my AVG can scan my share folder?

in file transfer option, u can browse and choose your anti-virus software.

in file transfer option, u can browse and choose your anti-virus software.

When I browse the AVG folder, there are so many exe file. So, which one (file) is the correct one that I should choose?

When I browse the AVG folder, there are so many exe file. So, which one (file) is the correct one that I should choose?

oh, i'm sorry. i have not used AVG. but i think the icon of the exe file is maybe the same as the AVG system tray icon.

Shared folders just asked me to install the virus scanner. I installed it, but I don't see it.

If install AVG, then need see (browse) it.

Any other member has more comments, suggestions.

Someone just sent an invite to my hotmail account. The account is the one I use for my MSN Messenger 7.5. But after I got the invite, I cant seem to sign-into Messenger 7.5 using that email... is there a connection?

Someone just sent an invite to my hotmail account. The account is the one I use for my MSN Messenger 7.5. But after I got the invite, I cant seem to sign-into Messenger 7.5 using that email... is there a connection?

Shouldn't be. Having your account set up for WLM shouldn't kill your ability to log into older versions. I'd be willing to bet it's just down or something.

• 3 months later...

did anyone get the email about some february06 survey?

WLM Mobile? If so, I did.