Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

I've now played a bit with InfraRecorder, it's another nice traditional Nero-interface program but it has just enough annoyances to make me go back to CDBurnerXP:

- It has to create an image file rather than burning on the fly so you need twice as much free disk space as the amount of data you want to burn, which is annoying when you're using it to move data off a full system.

-- Ugh, and you can't burn multiple copies (e.g. when sending photos out to family), it wants to recreate the entire 650MB image file from scratch for every single CD burned, even if it's the same thing twenty times. This is a problem that no on-the-fly app would have. I realise this is caused by the underlying burn engine which can only burn a static CD image file, but the UI could at least allow you to burn multiple copies to compensate for this.

- The CD usage scale calibrations are bizarre. Every other burning app I've seen has the ticks at 50MB intervals, but from InfraRecorder's scale I can see that I'm about to burn something that's about 20% past the 624MB mark. So it's useless for putting exactly 650MB on a CD, but if I want to burn exactly 468MB it's great, there's a tick mark there.

- It doesn't seem to do any checking of what speeds the drive actually supports. I told it to burn at 8x (which kinda surprised me, since it's not a supported speed), and it's now burning at a consistent 4x. A 12x burn burns at 10x. So it looks like any advertised burn speed is really "The closest lower-down speed that the drive actually supports".

So it's mostly like the traditional Nero (good), but with just enough annoyances to lose out to CDBurnerXP (less good).

The newest version of Power2Go (v.6) from Cyberlink is tremendous. It supports a two pane view like most burners (except Nero !!?) for drag'n'dropping, has a great GUI, it's very easy to use and has all the features someone would ever need for everyday tasks... Is this not enough for you?! Please add it to the list as it would make the best nero alternative... Wait, did I say alternative? Power2Go is much better than any version of nero to date!

It's a ~100MB download, did you recommend this for people who were missing the Nero bloat effect too much and wanted to find some alternative bloatware to try?

Edited by Minor event

• 10 months later...

hey,

I had a good repalcement for Nero Recode, I would stop using Nero, can somebody recomend me some?

I know about DVD shrink And DVD decrypter, is there anything better that is updateable?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another vote for ImgBurn. Awesome app.

Gonna try out the newer versions of CDBurnerXP and Ashampoo though. Since it's been awhile since I used them. Also gonna check out Power2Go since I've never heard of it before!

• 1 month later...

BurnAware and ImgBurn are the best free burning apps out there.

I really like BurnAware interface and features and use it everyday.

ImgBurn is ised for burning from the Right-click context menu.

InfraRecorder its also very good but I can't stand that it doesn't remember the view style and/or the column positions in the interface, which a basic feature every app must have.

Being portable is a plus, but I prefer BurnAware...

The newly released Lite, Free version of Nero?

This thread is for alternatives to Nero Burning Rom, that's not an alternative because that is still Nero.

I give my vote to BurnAware Pro, I've been using it for just over two years.

cd burner xp, works great, its free, simple and not bloated

and it runs on windows 7

If you simply want to burn *** images, audioCD/DVDs, Data discs, rip and make mp3s then

UltraISO is best! (also has virtual drive to use all popular drive images) what more could anyone want?

If you simply want to burn *** images, audioCD/DVDs, Data discs, rip and make mp3s then

UltraISO is best! (also has virtual drive to use all popular drive images) what more could anyone want?

UltraISO ain't free

The newest version of Power2Go (v.6) from Cyberlink is tremendous. It supports a two pane view like most burners (except Nero !!?) for drag'n'dropping, has a great GUI, it's very easy to use and has all the features someone would ever need for everyday tasks... Is this not enough for you?! Please add it to the list as it would make the best nero alternative... Wait, did I say alternative? Power2Go is much better than any version of nero to date!

Hmm...that's not suspect at all. :whistle:

• 2 weeks later...

I use ImgBurn for just about everything. Only thing it lacks is audio CD creation and I use WMP for that. I even use ImgBurn to burn non-image discs by dragging and dropping files in via build mode. Been using it for going on three years now and never looked back.

I use ImgBurn for just about everything. Only thing it lacks is audio CD creation and I use WMP for that. I even use ImgBurn to burn non-image discs by dragging and dropping files in via build mode. Been using it for going on three years now and never looked back.

You can burn audio cds in imgburn. Here's how:

Tools>Create CUE File>add your files here>Check the "Add to write queue when done">Click "Quick OK" when done adding files

Use "Write image file to disc" to burn your new audio cd!

• 1 year later...

Changelog 10/26/2010 NERO Burning Rom Alternatives Second Edition 2011

Added:

BurnAware

Nero BurnLite 10

UsefulUtils Discs Studio

Explore&Burn

ImgBurn

True Burner

Removed:

Sateira CD/DVD Burner - Website is gone

NTI CD&DVD Maker now NTI Media Maker 9 Premium 280 MB

Which programs to avoid:

BurnPro is the same with:

hxxp://www.mp3editorpro.com/burnpro/index.htm

Cute CD DVD BD Burner / 101 All to CD Burner

hxxp://www.silvereaglesoft.com/

hxxp://www.cute-cd-dvd-burner.com/

EZ Burning Studio

hxxp://www.ezaudioeditor.com/

AV Burning Pro

hxxp://www.avmediasoft.com/avburningpro.htm

Gold Burn

hxxp://www.wav-editor.com/goldburn/index.html

Easy Burning Studio

hxxp://www.free-audio-editor.com/otherfreeproducts/products.htm

Bundled with Adware, Viruses, Spyware / InfraRecorder rip offs:

FeyWriter

hxxp://www.feytools.com/products/feywriter.html

Hanso Burner

hxxp://www.hansotools.com/applications/hanso-burner.html

Inscriptio

hxxp://www.inscriptio.net/

Infested with Adware, Viruses, Spyware:

Free CD Burner

hxxp://www.thepickapp.com/free_cdburner.html

Freaky Burn

hxxp://www.freaky-burn.com/

Amazing CD & DVD Burner

hxxp://www.npssoftware.com/freedvdburners/dvdburners.htm

Instant CD & DVD Burner

hxxp://www.albumgalaxy.com/instantcdburner/index.htm

Click 'N Burn CD & DVD

hxxp://www.mp3hitmachine.com/clicknburn/index.htm

FireStorm CD & DVD

hxxp://www.snappertools.com/firestorm/index.htm

BurnRight CD & DVD

hxxp://www.kiwialpha.com/burnright/index.htm

Flash CD & DVD Burner

hxxp://www.twistermp3.com/flashcdburner/index.htm

Artisan CD/DVD BURNER

hxxp://www.binartisan.com/

Astroburn Lite

hxxp://www.astroburn.com/

Good Reading!

imgBURN is the bomb ... nothing can beat it, kudos to the devs

+1 on that one, brother! I love imgBurn; it's the only one I use for everything, even Audio CD burning.

@ Growled

Thanks!

@Subject Delta

I put non working links on purpose because of the danger that those websites represents. Lot of them are offering burning programs bundled with viruses, trojans and some other nasty stuff. :)

ImgBurn is an excellent application (and my favorite CD/DVD app). For encoding videos and burning them, I recommend DVDFlick which I believe is open source. For burning audio CD's, any media player is fine.